Singapore Expats

PR rejected 2013

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Re: PR rejected 2013

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 15 Mar 2015 10:53 am

Priyaamies wrote:
but my husband is in compliance domain in banking and it's pretty sought after.I guess we'll have to wait it out. Safety first. I don't think US, UK , Australia are safe. ](*,)
My post was specifically referring to this post by OP as to why Indians think Singapore is safe and other countries are not. We had plenty of such news about attacks in Australia, which had hit its peak in 2008/09.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 15 Mar 2015 11:16 am

Wd40 wrote:
Priyaamies wrote:
but my husband is in compliance domain in banking and it's pretty sought after.I guess we'll have to wait it out. Safety first. I don't think US, UK , Australia are safe. ](*,)
My post was specifically referring to this post by OP as to why Indians think Singapore is safe and other countries are not. We had plenty of such news about attacks in Australia, which had hit its peak in 2008/09.
Ok WD40, if your intention was to show how the Indian mass media make people thinking that the Western countries are unsafe, then my apologies. I wonder, is it just sensationalism based only or this is some sort of manipulation?

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 15 Mar 2015 11:21 am

Definitely sensationalism, I wont call it manipulation, but more like jumping the gun, where Indian media is quick to call it racism, instead of just crime.But even if they call it just crime, it still has its affect on people like the OP, to consider Singapore more favorably.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 15 Mar 2015 12:58 pm

Wd40 wrote:Definitely sensationalism, I wont call it manipulation, but more like jumping the gun, where Indian media is quick to call it racism, instead of just crime.But even if they call it just crime, it still has its affect on people like the OP, to consider Singapore more favorably.
Comparatively, in a way, 99% of Indians refuse to admit the safety in their own country, when forced to confront it !!

Eg: what appeared on my FB, when I posted a review of India's Daughter, by an Indian lady who went on to insist India is the most unsafest of the places she has lived, and insisted India is the most awful place for a woman !!

See a retort that popped up:

Look like this is bull crap. India is a safe heaven for those who love that country. This is highly populated country and things like may happen and we have to take precautions to make it safe haven. Rubbish like this do happen in the rest of the world. More than what happens in India. Why always blame only one country my dear friend. Dont you watch CNN and BBC???? watch other channels for a change and you will find that things like this do happen always.

PS, friends like above, who can't accept reality, I un-friend promptly !!

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 15 Mar 2015 1:18 pm

Indians dont like foreigners/NRIs pointing out their deficiencies :)

I saw someone post this on facebook:

http://www.outlookindia.com/news/articl ... ral/885916

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 15 Mar 2015 1:32 pm

Wd40 wrote:Indians dont like foreigners/NRIs pointing out their deficiencies :)

beg to differ

Indians don't like Indians' themselves pointing out the wrongs of the Mother Land !! :D

In The example I quoted before, the lady who wrote the comments is an Indian and the guy who chided her too is an Indian !!!

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 15 Mar 2015 1:38 pm

ecureilx wrote:

beg to differ

Indians don't like Indians' themselves pointing out the wrongs of the Mother Land !! :D

In The example I quoted before, the lady who wrote the comments is an Indian and the guy who chided her too is an Indian !!!
If the lady has written "India is the most unsafest place on Earth, she has lived in" means probably she has lived abroad and although may not be an NRI in the true sense of the word, she displays the kind of arrogance "I have lived in better places", that is associated with NRIs.

However, the thing that probably aggravated him in the 1st place is that BBC made that documentary, if an Indian channel made it, nobody would care.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 15 Mar 2015 2:04 pm

First off, the UK stats are derived from the British Crime Survey, a household survey carried out every 5 or so years in people's homes. It does not require that any alleged crime happened, was reported, or prosecuted, or the perp found guilty. One's word is taken as honest and accurate.

Meanwhile (from the section re: rape in India, of the linked page):
'Sexual violence within marriage is common, with 25% of men admitting to forcing their wives or partners to have sex, in a survey by the Centre of Research on Women, US, and Instituto Promundon in Brazil.'
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_statistics

... so rape is 17 times more prevalent in the UK than India, despite India's above '25%' statistic? :???: How do you account for that?

---------------------------------------------------------------------
From your linked article:
"United Kingdom is fifth at the world's rape list," it said.
"The number of rapes is more because many do not report," it added.

Heh? Can someone explain that?

"Ten per cent of women in the United Kingdom experience sexual victimisation," but "a third of Britons believe women are responsible for rape"

It's unclear how the two issues are tied together within the claimed statistics give.

In the response video, a selection of photographs, graphic statistics and clips from another BBC documentary, the producer claimed women in Britain "don't resist the rape so killing figures are a few."

Ah that ties with the mentality some say one can find in India, that all white women have an insatiable appetite for sex, even from complete strangers who assault them. Do they think British women 'Don't resist' because they're actually enjoying it? The logic of the latter, if it were true, would match the mentality required to believe the former.

The film also sought to make wider criticisms of British society -– ... "11 per cent population living under the poverty line"...

The 'poverty line' probably being a higher standard of living than 80% of the Indian population. For starters everyone is entitled (as a last resort) to be housed by the state. And similarly to receive welfare benefits. The poverty threshold is not met if you don't own a TV, whether you want one or not, and have access to broadband/+ internet, whether you want it or not. The definition is in fact manipulated as a political tool, and like the suggested 'rape' statistics, bears no resemblance in any way to what actual life is like.
Last edited by JR8 on Sun, 15 Mar 2015 2:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 15 Mar 2015 2:18 pm

JR8 wrote:
First off, the UK stats are derived from the British Crime Survey, a household survey carried out every 5 or so years in people's homes. It does not require that any alleged crime happened, was reported, or prosecuted, or the perp found guilty. One's word is taken as honest and accurate.

Meanwhile (from the section re: rape in India, of the linked page):
'Sexual violence within marriage is common, with 25% of men admitting to forcing their wives or partners to have sex, in a survey by the Centre of Research on Women, US, and Instituto Promundon in Brazil.'
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_statistics

... so rape is 17 times more prevalent in the UK than India, despite India's above '25%' statistic? :???: How do you account for that?
Yeah, its a rubbish video, I dont think anyone sensible is taking it seriously. The BBC documentary is a good one and half of India approves it, the other half are too nationalistic and ego centered

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 15 Mar 2015 2:52 pm

"a third of Britons believe women are responsible for rape,"

Of course they do! A third of Britain's population are Indian now. That one is easily explained. :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 15 Mar 2015 3:10 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:

"a third of Britons believe women are responsible for rape,"

Of course they do! A third of Britain's population are Indian now. That one is easily explained. :lol:
[-X [-X

Not fair, and not funny :D

I would say a third of Uk's population is made of Pakistanis, Indians, and Bangladeshis ... :D

PS, not sure if anybody followed the news on the Rochdale Case and the Rotherham Case ..

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 15 Mar 2015 4:12 pm

ecureilx wrote:Not fair, and not funny :D
I would say a third of Uk's population is made of Pakistanis, Indians, and Bangladeshis ... :D
PS, not sure if anybody followed the news on the Rochdale Case and the Rotherham Case ..

After reading SMS's post I was going to observe that 'Sub-continental's' have the issue of paedophilia/child sex gangs pretty much to themselves too. Then I read Ecu's comment above, so here are summaries of those issues...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rochdale_s ... cking_gang
'The Rochdale sex trafficking gang was a group of men who preyed on under-age teenage girls in Rochdale, Greater Manchester, England. They were convicted of sex trafficking and other offences includng rape, trafficking girls for sex and conspiracy to engage in sexual activity with a child, on 8 May 2012.[1] Forty-seven girls were identified as victims of child sexual exploitation during the police investigation.[2][3][4] The men were all British Pakistanis (except for one from Afghanistan) and from Muslim backgrounds, and the girls were White; this led to national discussion of whether the crimes were racially motivated, or, conversely, whether the failure to investigate them was linked to the authorities' fear of being accused of racism.'

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotherham_ ... on_scandal
'Widespread organised child sexual abuse took place in Rotherham, South Yorkshire, England, between 1997 and 2013. Local investigations into the abuse began in the 1990s, although some reports were never finalised or made public by the authorities.[1] In 2010, five men of Pakistani heritage were found guilty of a series of sexual offences against girls as young as twelve.[2] A subsequent investigation by The Times reported that the child sex exploitation was much more widespread, and the Home Affairs Select Committee criticised the South Yorkshire Police force and Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council for their handling of the abuse.

An independent inquiry into child sexual abuse in the town, led by Professor Alexis Jay, was established in 2013 for Rotherham Council.[3] The inquiry's initial report, published on 26 August 2014, condemned the failure of the authorities in Rotherham to act effectively against the abuse and even, in some cases, to acknowledge that it was taking place.[2][4][5] It conservatively estimated that 1,400 children had been sexually abused in the town between 1997 and 2013, predominantly by gangs of British-Pakistani men. Abuses described by the report included abduction, rape, torture and sex trafficking of children.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 15 Mar 2015 5:35 pm

When I visited India I was shocked by the level of indoctrination that seemed to be aiming (probably) to make people patriotic but I thought it was pretty much on the edge of hardcore nationalism.
That's why I also thought such mass media coverage may be used for the same purpose.

Indians to me are a very peculiar kind. They are very open, easy going with no reservation or distance I can feel most of the time I interact, for example, with local Chines. On the other hand they often appeared like sort of trying to managed their national complexes - the lady quoted a flagship example. Not being happy about the foreigners pointing to the deficiencies fits pretty well this equation.

midlet2013
Chatter
Chatter

Post by midlet2013 » Sun, 15 Mar 2015 10:01 pm

India is not safe. Aus and western countries are relatively safer but probably less safer than Singapore.

Whether they are incidents or not, do people feel safe in the western countries. You are safe as long as you are careful. In singapore, you do not have to be super careful.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 15 Mar 2015 11:03 pm

We felt generally safe in India. There were a few situations we felt not comfortable but we were the victims of the circumstance. Our perception was that it was the same as in any typical country with standard common sense applied but simply with more areas to avoid at certain time of the day.

What made us start thinking was this: we missed the train and we asked our host in Delhi to arrange a transportation (a car with a driver) for us to Agra. We intended to travel overnight. He said: for the safety reason don't go overnight, start the trip early morning.