Moving to work at Seletar airport, best place to live?

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
Vibereceptor

Moving to work at Seletar airport, best place to live?

Post by Vibereceptor » Wed, 03 Jul 2013 1:47 pm

Hello,

I'm an Australian engineer moving to Singapore to work at Seletar airport in August. Have no idea about the different areas apart from around the CBD. Would like to be somewhere between Seletar and the CBD in a good area. Would appreciate some advice.

Thanks

Singapore Property Search

PNGMK
Answers: 2

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 03 Jul 2013 1:55 pm

http://www.landapplications.gov.sg/SPIO ... ashup.aspx

Lots of old colonial buildings in Seletar itself.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 10

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 03 Jul 2013 3:31 pm

Yep, lived in those old building for 16 years up until I bought my flat 14 years ago. Back then the rents were cheap, cheap, cheap! Now they are 4K UP! Loved it out there but when the rents started going up after Pidemco took over management of all the "reverted" housing on the base, they started going up and up on the rents so that's when I'd decided to buy.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

randomname17

Post by randomname17 » Fri, 05 Jul 2013 1:05 pm

I've been lurking on these forums for a long time, but finally figured I should pitch in because I am also an engineer from a western country working for one of the aerospace companies near Seletar airport.

I personally live in Sengkang. There are quite a few condo complexes surrounding this mall: http://www.fraserscentrepointmalls.com/ ... /index.asp

It's a short (5 - 10 minute) taxi ride to and from Seletar, (I decided against having a car, not sure what your plans are) and there's an MRT station that will take you right into the city. There's plenty of places to eat, and plenty of shops to buy stuff. No western type bars that I'm aware of, people just buy and drink beers at the hawker centers.

I've also stayed in Hougang before. The area is a little bit farther away, but basically the same qualities as Sengkang Fairly close to the airport and has an MRT station that goes into the city.

Serangoon is roughly half way between Seletar and the CBD, and as I understand (haven't really spent a lot of time there) it is very popular with western expats.

Finally, you could just stay in the CBD itself. Based on my experience staying in hotels there, taxi rides to Seletar in the morning might usually takes around 20-25 minutes, and usually there is no traffic. On the way back in the afternoon is a different story, there usually is traffic, and if it's bad or if it's raining you'll be looking at over an hour to get home. Guess it all depends on what you think is a reasonable commute.

Hope this helps.