Singapore Expats Forum

Fighting to get on a packed Bus ...........

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.

Sponsored by:
Image
AE Logistics - Singapore Movers

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Thu, 25 Jul 2013 12:36 pm

Steve1960 wrote:As my Dad (Policeman) used to say motorcyclist = organ donor


You don't even have to think in terms of safety. I don't know how Wd40 and x9200 manage it but...

...rain and cargo!

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3936
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Fri, 26 Jul 2013 10:23 am

nakatago wrote:
Steve1960 wrote:As my Dad (Policeman) used to say motorcyclist = organ donor


You don't even have to think in terms of safety. I don't know how Wd40 and x9200 manage it but...

...rain and cargo!


Raincoat and rear box. The rear box looks small but its 45/48L in capacity. You need more space? You can have side boxes/saddle bags as well.

Before we had our daughter, me and my wife used to go to mustafa area, have dinner and buy tonnes of groceries, all within 3 hrs.

Now with our daughter, going to mustafa is a painful experience. Now bike is strictly for office, but its still worth it.

I find it quite strange though that Filipinos dont seem to ride the motorcycle here as much as the Indians and Malays do. Malays are definitely the motorcycle lovers. Quite a few Ang mohs too in my office ride a bike.

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Fri, 26 Jul 2013 10:39 am

Wd40 wrote:
I find it quite strange though that Filipinos dont seem to ride the motorcycle here as much as the Indians and Malays do. Malays are definitely the motorcycle lovers. Quite a few Ang mohs too in my office ride a bike.


Cost.

Those that can afford it, will go further and just get a car. A car is a better status symbol than a motorcycle.

Those that really like motorcycles and can afford it, aren't in Singapore. If they are, they have cars.

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 890
Joined: Mon, 02 Mar 2009

Postby morenangpinay » Wed, 07 Aug 2013 11:29 am

fact though, indians in the philippines are associated (err stereotyped)with riding motorcycles and they are called bombays

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3936
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Wed, 07 Aug 2013 2:10 pm

morenangpinay wrote:fact though, indians in the philippines are associated (err stereotyped)with riding motorcycles and they are called bombays


Interesting. I never imagined there was an Indian community in Philippines of any significant size. But your post made me google for it and got this Wiki article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_set ... hilippines

Interesting indeed.

Steve1960
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1106
Joined: Mon, 13 Aug 2012
Location: Singapore

Postby Steve1960 » Wed, 07 Aug 2013 2:23 pm

Getting a little closer back to topic.

Same for me on the MRT sometimes including this morning. Train arrives and is pretty packed, electronic notice board says there will be another train in 2 minutes, I watch them all pushing past each other and squeeze into the train that just arrived the last couple of people even getting trapped in the closing doors.

2 minutes later the next train arrives only around 80% full and I comfortably walk on and continue my journey to work.

bro75
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 325
Joined: Sun, 02 Sep 2012
Location: Singapore

Postby bro75 » Wed, 07 Aug 2013 2:59 pm

I do not know why but for buses, I am content to wait for the next bus if I can see it but for MRTs, I will fight and squeeze on earliest train.

Steve1960
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1106
Joined: Mon, 13 Aug 2012
Location: Singapore

Postby Steve1960 » Wed, 07 Aug 2013 3:31 pm

bro75 wrote:I do not know why but for buses, I am content to wait for the next bus if I can see it but for MRTs, I will fight and squeeze on earliest train.


I know the feeling I am tempted but probably due to being conditioned to the unreliability of service in the UK. I should also point out that I only have to travel a short distance (one stop) on the MRT which may influence my behaviour.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35159
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 07 Aug 2013 5:50 pm

Steve1960 wrote:Getting a little closer back to topic.

Same for me on the MRT sometimes including this morning. Train arrives and is pretty packed, electronic notice board says there will be another train in 2 minutes, I watch them all pushing past each other and squeeze into the train that just arrived the last couple of people even getting trapped in the closing doors.

2 minutes later the next train arrives only around 80% full and I comfortably walk on and continue my journey to work.


This!

Maask
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon, 12 Aug 2013
Location: Australia

Postby Maask » Mon, 12 Aug 2013 12:09 pm

Steve1960 wrote:Getting a little closer back to topic.

Same for me on the MRT sometimes including this morning. Train arrives and is pretty packed, electronic notice board says there will be another train in 2 minutes, I watch them all pushing past each other and squeeze into the train that just arrived the last couple of people even getting trapped in the closing doors.

2 minutes later the next train arrives only around 80% full and I comfortably walk on and continue my journey to work.


This is what I do too

User avatar
Barnsley
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2292
Joined: Tue, 10 Jun 2008
Location: Pasir Ris
Contact:

Postby Barnsley » Mon, 12 Aug 2013 3:30 pm

Off on a slight tangent....

Lifts...

There are 3 lifts in the lift lobby at work.

Today all 3 arrived at level one at the same time.. the one that opened the doors first all in lobby piled in... the girl in the doors must have been just off her nose.

I get into one of the two empty lifts.

Arrive at my floor same time as first lift.

I dunno.... I rather travel in comfort :cool:
Life is short, paddle harder!!

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5272
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby the lynx » Mon, 12 Aug 2013 3:56 pm

When it comes to buses coming together, I will look at the traffic lights ahead to see if the second bus can make it. If it is able to make it, I will then casually go for the second bus, rather than to be squeezed in the first bus.

User avatar
martincymru
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 481
Joined: Thu, 16 Oct 2008
Location: out & about

Postby martincymru » Mon, 12 Aug 2013 9:53 pm

more interesting question is:-

" where in the contract it says that the bus driver must hoot the horn 50 metres before the bus stop............to alert possible customers to alert the driver...." or else he drives on past.......


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Staying, Living in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests