Singapore Expats Forum

Anyone studying/working at N.U.S.?

Events and gatherings for the 20's Club
andrewskg

Anyone studying/working at N.U.S.?

Postby andrewskg » Sat, 29 Jun 2013 6:47 pm

Hello all,

new here and soon in Singapore (arriving July 24th).

I am originally from Greece and will be doing a PhD at N.U.S. (bioimaging / bioengineering).

I was wondering if there are any people here studying/working at NUS to share some tips with me about registrations etc, and get a nice discussion started. Also, I will be staying at UTown residencies (at least for the first semester) so I might even find some neighbours.

Would love to meet people from all around and I will post an "intro" thread soon.

Andreas

GD85

Postby GD85 » Sun, 21 Jul 2013 12:21 am

Hi Andreas,

I did my undergrad degree in NUS and now work there. If you have any questions, I'd be happy to share info.

All the best!

rdueej
Regular
Regular

Postby rdueej » Mon, 22 Jul 2013 4:53 pm

Hello to both of you. I am also a recent graduate from the university. Currently working there as a researcher. Also enrolled in a part-time graduate degree at the same time (I just completed my first year towards an engineering phd at NUS).

I look forward to answering any questions you might have about NUS/engineering/studying-in-singapore.

To get things rolling, @andrewskg, are you required to register for the diagnostic english test ?

andrewskg

Postby andrewskg » Thu, 25 Jul 2013 11:48 pm

hey,
nope no DET required for me :)
May I ask which dept you graduated/working for?
Also, I'll be staying at UTown halls, any comments for it? I know it is a 4 or 6 person flat share, not sure about the quality of the accommodation.. This is why I might consider finding something on my own

rdueej
Regular
Regular

Postby rdueej » Fri, 26 Jul 2013 5:09 am

I am at the electrical and computer engineering department.

Since you are a graduate student, you would be staying at the graduate residences at UTown and not at any of the other halls/colleges. It would most probably be a 4 room flatshare. The rooms are quite good and well furnished. Also, the students you meet would be new students, so a good chance to make new friends.

You can check out the photos on this page: http://www.nus.edu.sg/ohs/future-reside ... /rooms.php

I would suggest staying there at least for the first semester, to settle in and have one less thing to worry about.