Singapore Expats Forum

Wedding Hong Bao guidelines 2016

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.

Sponsored by:
AE Logistics - Movers & Storage

iboostbiz01

Re: Wedding Hong Bao guidelines 2013

Postby iboostbiz01 » Fri, 26 Jun 2015 1:20 pm

Well, one way could be just to check how much it actually costs per person for typical weddings at the place you've been invited to.

While I have my own "estimate" to how much I give each time, if you want to be more exact, simply give the venue operator a call, ask them how much it costs per table of X number of people.

This way, you're always paying "just right".

Naturally, hotels vs restaurants vs other places vary in prices.

So far, I haven't gone below $100 per person even if it's just a simple eatery wedding.

Hope this helps!

KleenWayne70

Postby KleenWayne70 » Wed, 29 Jul 2015 8:23 pm

jackson80

Postby jackson80 » Tue, 29 Nov 2016 11:40 am

http://www.weddingangbao.com/wedding-an ... ates-2016/

Latest rates even though its towards the end of the year.

Maybe we should update the main header?

golfboy

Re: Wedding Hong Bao guidelines 2016

Postby golfboy » Mon, 19 Dec 2016 9:49 pm

Just came back from a wedding dinner at Shangri-li-la at Orchard. Oh mine! I heard it was like $2000 per table. OMG! I only gave $180 per person. :o

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Wedding Hong Bao guidelines 2016

Postby ecureilx » Mon, 19 Dec 2016 10:36 pm

golfboy wrote:Just came back from a wedding dinner at Shangri-li-la at Orchard. Oh mine! I heard it was like $2000 per table. OMG! I only gave $180 per person. :o

You the couple was like my ex-friend, you may get a call complaining about your stingy red packet yes, happened to me, and the bride told me they had to postpone the honey moon due to wedding loss ;)

To be fair, you should have put $250, when the Venue is Shang !

golfboy

Re: RE: Re: Wedding Hong Bao guidelines 2016

Postby golfboy » Fri, 23 Dec 2016 2:47 am

ecureilx wrote:
golfboy wrote:Just came back from a wedding dinner at Shangri-li-la at Orchard. Oh mine! I heard it was like $2000 per table. OMG! I only gave $180 per person. :o

You the couple was like my ex-friend, you may get a call complaining about your stingy red packet yes, happened to me, and the bride told me they had to postpone the honey moon due to wedding loss ;)

To be fair, you should have put $250, when the Venue is Shang !

In the end, I had to privately gave them another hong bao with $100.

My parent just went to a relative wedding dinner at Ritz Carlton. 1 table cost $3200! :o OMG! My rich relative did not even accept my parents' hong bao. It is all fully paid. Well, there are lots of rich folks in Singapore.

kimpak

Re: Wedding Hong Bao guidelines 2016

Postby kimpak » Wed, 15 Feb 2017 1:45 pm

the lynx wrote:Bumping up this thread to stash this helpful link here: http://www.weddingangbao.com/

Very handy. Especially now that I've been getting more and more wedding invitations of late...

Really helpful! Sometimes its so difficult to figure out if my goodwill towards the wedding couple is matched by the dollar figure of my red packet.

alexeyy

Re:

Postby alexeyy » Sat, 15 Apr 2017 9:01 pm

the lynx wrote:
OrchardWarrior wrote:wouldnt white gold be bai jin, not bai jing in Mandarin?

Whatever, Chinese is not my main language and I fail to see the difference with or without the 'g'. Probably those with sharp ears to the pinyin would know.

It's the difference between sinning and singing :cool:

Generally southern chinese have difficulties telling the diff. However, this consonant sound is found in many worldwide languages.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velar_nasal