Singapore Expats

Wedding Hong Bao guidelines 2018

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
iboostbiz01

Re: Wedding Hong Bao guidelines 2013

Post by iboostbiz01 » Fri, 26 Jun 2015 1:20 pm

Well, one way could be just to check how much it actually costs per person for typical weddings at the place you've been invited to.

While I have my own "estimate" to how much I give each time, if you want to be more exact, simply give the venue operator a call, ask them how much it costs per table of X number of people.

This way, you're always paying "just right".

Naturally, hotels vs restaurants vs other places vary in prices.

So far, I haven't gone below $100 per person even if it's just a simple eatery wedding.

Hope this helps!

KleenWayne70

Post by KleenWayne70 » Wed, 29 Jul 2015 8:23 pm

jackson80

Post by jackson80 » Tue, 29 Nov 2016 11:40 am

http://www.weddingangbao.com/wedding-an ... ates-2016/

Latest rates even though its towards the end of the year.

Maybe we should update the main header?

golfboy

Re: Wedding Hong Bao guidelines 2016

Post by golfboy » Mon, 19 Dec 2016 9:49 pm

Just came back from a wedding dinner at Shangri-li-la at Orchard. Oh mine! I heard it was like $2000 per table. OMG! I only gave $180 per person. :o

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Wedding Hong Bao guidelines 2016

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 19 Dec 2016 10:36 pm

golfboy wrote:Just came back from a wedding dinner at Shangri-li-la at Orchard. Oh mine! I heard it was like $2000 per table. OMG! I only gave $180 per person. :o
You the couple was like my ex-friend, you may get a call complaining about your stingy red packet Image yes, happened to me, and the bride told me they had to postpone the honey moon due to wedding loss ;)

To be fair, you should have put $250, when the Venue is Shang !

golfboy

Re: RE: Re: Wedding Hong Bao guidelines 2016

Post by golfboy » Fri, 23 Dec 2016 2:47 am

ecureilx wrote:
golfboy wrote:Just came back from a wedding dinner at Shangri-li-la at Orchard. Oh mine! I heard it was like $2000 per table. OMG! I only gave $180 per person. :o
You the couple was like my ex-friend, you may get a call complaining about your stingy red packet Image yes, happened to me, and the bride told me they had to postpone the honey moon due to wedding loss ;)

To be fair, you should have put $250, when the Venue is Shang !
In the end, I had to privately gave them another hong bao with $100.

My parent just went to a relative wedding dinner at Ritz Carlton. 1 table cost $3200! :o OMG! My rich relative did not even accept my parents' hong bao. It is all fully paid. Well, there are lots of rich folks in Singapore.

kimpak

Post by kimpak » Wed, 15 Feb 2017 1:45 pm

the lynx wrote:Bumping up this thread to stash this helpful link here: http://www.weddingangbao.com/

Very handy. Especially now that I've been getting more and more wedding invitations of late...
Really helpful! Sometimes its so difficult to figure out if my goodwill towards the wedding couple is matched by the dollar figure of my red packet.

alexeyy

Re:

Post by alexeyy » Sat, 15 Apr 2017 9:01 pm

the lynx wrote:
OrchardWarrior wrote:wouldnt white gold be bai jin, not bai jing in Mandarin?
Whatever, Chinese is not my main language and I fail to see the difference with or without the 'g'. Probably those with sharp ears to the pinyin would know.
It's the difference between sinning and singing :cool:

Generally southern chinese have difficulties telling the diff. However, this consonant sound is found in many worldwide languages.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velar_nasal

Sia White

Post by Sia White » Tue, 26 Sep 2017 8:48 pm

Have you ever seen this type of photography to a wedding - http://ubersnap.com/wedding-photo-booth. How expensive is it?

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BBCDoc » Tue, 26 Sep 2017 9:03 pm

Sometimes the couple booked far in advance, to lock in the rate at the time of purchase. Thus, what you look up now may not reflect the price paid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's always room for one more

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 26 Sep 2017 10:12 pm

Sia White wrote:Have you ever seen this type of photography to a wedding - http://ubersnap.com/wedding-photo-booth. How expensive is it?
If I correctly guess what it is, it is based on a matrix of microlens similar to the old fashion 3D prints. It should be cheap, $5-$10 per print, my guess, unless they try to rip the customers off.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 18 Dec 2017 11:38 pm

Okay, here's the lastest rates for 2018 if you don't want to insult you wedding couple.

http://www.weddingangbao.com/wedding-an ... ates-2018/
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Artemias

Post by Artemias » Tue, 19 Dec 2017 1:24 pm

This list does not include some restaurants though.
We had ours at 1-altitude (Stellar), and I have friends who had theirs at White Rabbit (@ Dempsey), Lewin Terrace and Portico Prime. These aren't unusual wedding venues at all.
It'll be good if they're in the list as well. Or is there already one, just not on that site?

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 19 Dec 2017 10:29 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Okay, here's the lastest rates for 2018 if you don't want to insult you wedding couple.

http://www.weddingangbao.com/wedding-an ... ates-2018/
Don't invite me if you expect me to pay my own way. You want me to pay for my meal with a red packet? Then let's head over to a hawker center for dinner.

This kind of crap needs to go away, and yet, in the USA, more and more it raises its ugly head... you didn't give me enough of a wedding present to cover my costs! Solution: Have a cheap wedding, beatch!

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Wed, 20 Dec 2017 4:03 am

At least from my understanding, that is how many Chinese wedding receptions work. The wedding couple kind of expect the guests to "get it". The unspoken rule about covering the cost of the event. Why do you turn your problem into mine? That is the logical part of me doing the thinking. The hilarious part of me, imagine the heart attack if they should receive a toaster for a wedding gift :lol: .

A Shanghaist living in USA was inquiring about the restaurants with the best culinary offering for her upcoming reception. According to her, if the food is not up to par, her friends and relatives will beatch about it. Well, well, well what can I say about the Chinese culture? It is highly pragmatic. China will soon take its economic ascendency in this world. And this approach is helpful to this end. But then, grace is not exactly their forte . Ironically, her name is Grace. But the people around her are not :-P .

Money gifting used to be a bit of a bad taste in USA. But not anymore? Gift cards are quite common. In a way, it makes sense. It allows the recipient the freedom to purchase what he / she really desires. What can I say? It is a mixed feeling. There is less waste when people are not stuck with some gifts they have no use for. Over the years, US is becoming more of a "me" culture. And slowly loosing the art of gift giving and everything that it represents and entails..... the thoughtfulness and the grace that goes into the process.

And then (started by Bush or Obama?) to keep up with the academic test-taking competency of Asia, USA education system has also become more academic and teach-to-the-test. Educators are under the gun to follow regulatory guidelines. You want funding or not? USA education system used to be more. For it developes the whole child.

My point, USA is becoming more "Asian" . Some things the Asians do very well. While others not. But in these examples, I am talking about the not so great aspect. And it matters to me. Cause these are the very qualities that draw me to this great country. Gracious living and a high trust society (innocent until proven guilty).