Singapore Expats

Wedding Hong Bao guidelines 2018

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Singaporeexpat2018

Re: Wedding Hong Bao guidelines 2018

Post by Singaporeexpat2018 » Wed, 05 Sep 2018 9:11 am

Weddings in Australia about a third of guests give zero nada zilch. How bad is that!!!

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 05 Sep 2018 9:28 am

Singaporeexpat2018 wrote:Weddings in Australia about a third of guests give zero nada zilch. How bad is that!!!
Since when is it compulsory for guests to give money when invited to a wedding? That is what's bad.

Due to a previous engagement, which I shall make as soon as possible, I shall be unable to attend your wedding and be shaken down for cash.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Wed, 05 Sep 2018 12:11 pm

Interesting story about a bride who called off the wedding and dumped the groom because guests wouldn't cough up enough to 'fund' her special day.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... ssues.html

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Wed, 05 Sep 2018 4:25 pm

Singaporeexpat2018 wrote:Weddings in Australia about a third of guests give zero nada zilch. How bad is that!!!
Wouldn't they usually just buy a gift from the designated list of gifts that the couple want?

Who really rocks up to a wedding with a wad of notes to pass to the bride and groom?
Life is short, paddle harder!!

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Wedding Hong Bao guidelines 2018

Post by BBCDoc » Wed, 05 Sep 2018 11:16 pm

The Japanese do a similar thing. In fact, at reception, they open up the Ang Bao (Japanese equivalent), count the cash and write the amount down in an official record book.

What happens later is that each contributing guest then receives a return gift, of approximate value 50% original amount.

This was what happened at my wedding many moons ago.

At least in SG they don’t count and write it down in front of you...

What gets my goat though, is the way some guests turn up in jeans and T-shirts, especially in Hong Kong...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's always room for one more

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BBCDoc » Wed, 05 Sep 2018 11:19 pm

bgd wrote:Interesting story about a bride who called off the wedding and dumped the groom because guests wouldn't cough up enough to 'fund' her special day.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... ssues.html
That was a helluva story

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's always room for one more

TWeeZY

Post by TWeeZY » Wed, 19 Sep 2018 10:36 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
Since when is it compulsory for guests to give money when invited to a wedding? That is what's bad.

Due to a previous engagement, which I shall make as soon as possible, I shall be unable to attend your wedding and be shaken down for cash.
I do not think is compulsory but everybody does it so it became pretty much of a norm?

GlenT

Post by GlenT » Tue, 18 Jun 2019 5:33 pm

It is not compulsory in that people would bar you from attending if you did not give money, but it is definitely an expectation that everyone would give an ang bao commensurate to the location and price of the banquet.

Given the ridiculous cost of hotel banquets in Singapore, this is how couples don't blow several tens of thousands by holding a wedding...

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 18 Jun 2019 8:30 pm

Sounds like they aren't mature enough to get married then, does it. Blowing all that money on a gamble that the guests will foot the bill for it. Really stupid in my point of view.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers