Singapore Expats

Wedding Hong Bao guidelines 2018

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Wedding Hong Bao guidelines 2018

Post by the lynx » Thu, 27 Jun 2013 4:34 pm

Bumping up this thread to stash this helpful link here: http://www.weddingangbao.com/

Very handy. Especially now that I've been getting more and more wedding invitations of late...

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 27 Jun 2013 4:45 pm

the lynx wrote: Very handy. Especially now that I've been getting more and more wedding invitations of late...

Ahh..... feeling the pressure yet sister?

Hey.... how meny husber you allow ah

Queue oso can issit?

;;;

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 27 Jun 2013 5:10 pm

JR8 wrote:
the lynx wrote: Very handy. Especially now that I've been getting more and more wedding invitations of late...

Queue oso can issit?

;;;
I'm afraid you'd still need to get a voucher while you're queueing.

:devil:

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 27 Jun 2013 5:16 pm

Hey Lynx! Excellent find! Been looking for something like that for a while. Ta.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 27 Jun 2013 5:18 pm

the lynx wrote:
JR8 wrote:

Queue oso can issit?

;;;
I'm afraid you'd still need to get a voucher while you're queueing.

:devil:

Probably a lot of truth in that! ;-)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Post by the lynx » Thu, 27 Jun 2013 5:22 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Hey Lynx! Excellent find! Been looking for something like that for a while. Ta.
Should make this a sticky. They even have rates for every type of wedding imaginable. I mean EVERYTHING!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 27 Jun 2013 5:47 pm

Done. Excellent idea. :cool:

Also gonna add it to my 'links' page! :wink:

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Post by the lynx » Tue, 09 Jul 2013 4:57 pm

Bad, bad bride!

In Huffington Post last week:
Last weekend I attended a wedding of a not-close friend with my boyfriend and as a gift we gave $100 cash. This was generous considering my financial situation. I just finished university with $40,000 in student loans, and have only found part time (12-18 hrs per week) minimum wage work. I gave as much as I could and attended to show my support.
Today I received a rude and condescending message from the bride via Facebook messenger: "Hi Tanya, how are you? I just want to know is there any reason or dissatisfaction of Mike's and I wedding that both you and Phil gave 50$ each? In terms of the amount we got from you both was very unexpected as a result we were very much short on paying off the reception because just for the cocktail + reception alone the plate per person is 200$ (as per a normal wedding range with open bar is about) and Mike and I both have already paid for everything else including decor, photography, attire etc and didn't expect we had to cover that huge amount for reception as well. As I know you both live together and work, so I did not see any reason for that amount, when it comes to your wedding hopefully you'll know what I mean. I hope for the best as from what we receive is what we will give back. Anyways, good luck on everything." [all sic]

It's infuriating that she had the nerve to make assumptions about my finances, and assume that I or my boyfriend had an extra $400 lying around. Those $100 were hard-earned and she didn't show an ounce of gratitude for what she did receive. That money didn't grow on a tree. If she had a minimum gift requirement, she should have specified it...or asked everyone for income statements before inviting them.
More laughs in the comments here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/0 ... 35780.html

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 09 Jul 2013 5:43 pm

Defo the bride from hell! I feel sorry for her husband. But some are very correct in their statements. People have lost sight in what the reception is supposed to be. If you cannot afford it, don't do it.

ray88

Re: Wedding Hong Bao guidelines 2013

Post by ray88 » Mon, 19 Aug 2013 2:34 pm

the lynx wrote:Bumping up this thread to stash this helpful link here: http://www.weddingangbao.com/

Very handy. Especially now that I've been getting more and more wedding invitations of late...
Wonderful link!
Thanks

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Post by the lynx » Fri, 30 Aug 2013 5:06 pm

If only someone can come up with the guideline for funeral money (also known as "white gold" or "bai jing" in Chinese)...

OrchardWarrior

Post by OrchardWarrior » Fri, 06 Sep 2013 8:30 am

wouldnt white gold be bai jin, not bai jing in Mandarin?

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Post by the lynx » Fri, 06 Sep 2013 8:51 am

OrchardWarrior wrote:wouldnt white gold be bai jin, not bai jing in Mandarin?
Whatever, Chinese is not my main language and I fail to see the difference with or without the 'g'. Probably those with sharp ears to the pinyin would know.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 06 Sep 2013 5:22 pm

Now we got a pinyin spelling nazi as well. :lol:

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Post by the lynx » Sat, 07 Sep 2013 8:59 pm

Should drag in zzm9980. He's got ears for those :P