Singapore Expats

PTS or Spouse scheme?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
abc123xyz

PTS or Spouse scheme?

Post by abc123xyz » Wed, 26 Jun 2013 2:35 pm

Hi all,

I apologize for starting a fresh thread only a few days apart from the earlier one as I have missed mentioning something. Mods, if this collides with forum guidelines, please let me know how to merge the two threads and please don't delete this or ban me.

I forgot to ask something. I first applied for PR under PTS scheme, the second time under spouse scheme. Does this affect my profile at ICA? And should I apply under PTS scheme the next time rather than under the sponsorship of my husband who is a Singaporean?

Thanks and I apologize for the inconvenience of double posting.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 26 Jun 2013 3:25 pm

No worries. Doesn't matter how many times you apply you old application will still be there as well. As you will always have the same FIN number until you obtain PR. They will know and will take all into consideration.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

abc123xyz

Post by abc123xyz » Wed, 26 Jun 2013 4:16 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:No worries. Doesn't matter how many times you apply you old application will still be there as well. As you will always have the same FIN number until you obtain PR. They will know and will take all into consideration.
Thank you, you are as helpful as always. So you mean that it doesn't matter what scheme I would be applying under?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 26 Jun 2013 6:04 pm

No, but being eligible for both adds a big plus.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

guyg

Post by guyg » Wed, 26 Jun 2013 8:41 pm

I'm also curious about this as was unsure which route to take. I went for the spouse scheme as I thought it demonstrated a greater commitment to Singapore (i also realised afterwards it's a stronger visa in terms of REP renewal) but the spouse form doesn't allow for including many positive carear/job details so for someone with a strong background from a career perspective is that then a negative?

Perhaps the trick is to apply PTS then follow it up with a spouse application as the op has done.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 26 Jun 2013 9:31 pm

guyg wrote:I'm also curious about this as was unsure which route to take. I went for the spouse scheme as I thought it demonstrated a greater commitment to Singapore (i also realised afterwards it's a stronger visa in terms of REP renewal) but the spouse form doesn't allow for including many positive carear/job details so for someone with a strong background from a career perspective is that then a negative?

Perhaps the trick is to apply PTS then follow it up with a spouse application as the op has done.

Doesn't make much difference. 6 of one, half dozen of the other.

abc123xyz

Post by abc123xyz » Thu, 27 Jun 2013 11:09 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:No, but being eligible for both adds a big plus.
I certainly hope so. Just gotten a promotion and 10% salary increment. I hope my appeal works...

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 27 Jun 2013 12:42 pm

Good luck. :wink:

guyg

Post by guyg » Thu, 27 Jun 2013 11:12 pm

This may seem pedantic but I don't see how a spousal application can be judged vs the PTS criteria when the form does not ask for anything like as much detail or proof. So I would expect career/job details to carry far less weight than via PTS route.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 27 Jun 2013 11:19 pm

Unless the form has changed, I do believe it requests family particulars, does it not? :roll:

guyg

Post by guyg » Sat, 29 Jun 2013 4:02 pm

Of course it does and I think you know that is not my point. My point is (and what i stated above) the PTS form requires far more details in terms of jobs and education etc. Therefore how can someone who is applying using the spouse form be adjudged to have met the PTS requirements if they don't provide the relevant details to be properly assessed. You said it helps if you qualify under both criteria. I would argue the ony way to do so formally would be either fill out both applications or just the PTS one. I know there is a lot of speculation as to what ICAs criteria are but I think for instance if I hypothetically do qualify under PTS then that doesn't mean I qualify under spousal (assuming I score very low vs spousal specific criteria, which in reality is not the case) otherwise ICA would use a unified Aussie like points based system which they don't.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 29 Jun 2013 4:29 pm

You"have a better chance of being approved "overall" using the Families Ties method. Provided which you are qualified. When they vet you they will also find out that you are PTS qualified. This is the double benefit.

If your spouse is a citizen and you file using the PTS scheme, they are going to wonder why, if you are married to a Singaporean.