Singapore Expats Forum

Edward Snowden - Great American Patriot or Gutless Traitor?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Thu, 27 Jun 2013 8:57 am

[quote="Strong Eagle"][quote="zzm9980"]http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/06/exclusive-in-2009-ed-snowden-said-leakers-should-be-shot-then-he-became-one/

[quote]In 2009, Ed Snowden said leakers “should be shot.â€Â

Chantikki
Regular
Regular
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun, 16 Jun 2013

Re: Edward Snowden - Great American Patriot or Gutless Trait

Postby Chantikki » Thu, 27 Jun 2013 1:10 pm

PNGMK wrote:Apart from his hilarious game of "where's Snowden" it seems the US populace is very much against him....I'm not thrilled that he now seems to be in bed with that great Aussie self grandiser Assange but Snowden seems to have done the public a service.


The most popular comments on cnn and other online news are all for him.
Most people seem to think the US govt is getting way out of control.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Re: Edward Snowden - Great American Patriot or Gutless Trait

Postby JR8 » Thu, 27 Jun 2013 1:12 pm

Chantikki wrote:The most popular comments on cnn and other online news are all for him.
Most people seem to think the US govt is getting way out of control.



And what are their opinions about enemy governments?

Or don't they say?

Chantikki
Regular
Regular
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun, 16 Jun 2013

Re: Edward Snowden - Great American Patriot or Gutless Trait

Postby Chantikki » Thu, 27 Jun 2013 1:21 pm

JR8 wrote:
Chantikki wrote:The most popular comments on cnn and other online news are all for him.
Most people seem to think the US govt is getting way out of control.



And what are their opinions about enemy governments?

Or don't they say?


they just seemed to stick to the topic in the comments i saw.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Thu, 27 Jun 2013 1:32 pm

zzm9980 wrote:I'm not sure what passes for Icelandic native cuisine, but I know South American food is really damn good.


Cod, and boiled potatoes, with butter.

And cod, and boiled potatoes, with white sauce on it.

And cod, boiled potatoes, white sauce, with chopped parsley over.

At $100 a plate.

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Thu, 27 Jun 2013 1:40 pm

JR8 wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:I'm not sure what passes for Icelandic native cuisine, but I know South American food is really damn good.


Cod, and boiled potatoes, with butter.

And cod, and boiled potatoes, with white sauce on it.

And cod, boiled potatoes, white sauce, with chopped parsley over.

At $100 a plate.



If the cod was battered, and potatoes fried, you might have me sold.

Image

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Thu, 27 Jun 2013 1:55 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
JR8 wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:I'm not sure what passes for Icelandic native cuisine, but I know South American food is really damn good.


Cod, and boiled potatoes, with butter.

And cod, and boiled potatoes, with white sauce on it.

And cod, boiled potatoes, white sauce, with chopped parsley over.

At $100 a plate.



If the cod was battered, and potatoes fried, you might have me sold.

Image


YES! Decent fish and chips, I'd move tomorrow.

But amazingly enough, you get that in Britain and not in 'Codland' (Iceland/Norway etc)

PNGMK
Director
Director
Posts: 4852
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013

Postby PNGMK » Sat, 29 Jun 2013 2:39 pm

Well as I thought it seems Assange has made a mess of it all due to his ego.

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Sat, 29 Jun 2013 4:12 pm

PNGMK wrote:Well as I thought it seems Assange has made a mess of it all due to his ego.


Yes, I find it interesting that Ecuador is saying the paper work given to Snowden isn't valid, and was issued without approval from the London embassy. Oh wait, who else is staying there?

The choice of Ecuador vs Iceland should be changed as follows:

Where would you rather remained holed up for months or years in diplomatic limbo:

1) A spare office of a small consulate for a banana republic in London
or
2) The 'transit zone' in the Moscow airport, no doubt bult during Soviet rule and with all of the 'charms' and 'creature comforts' facilities of that era are known for.

Chantikki
Regular
Regular
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun, 16 Jun 2013

Postby Chantikki » Sun, 30 Jun 2013 6:07 pm

I'm wondering if Ecuador might be waiting to see if the US renew their trade agreement first? or are they pretty sure they won't?

PNGMK
Director
Director
Posts: 4852
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013

Postby PNGMK » Sun, 30 Jun 2013 8:03 pm

Chantikki wrote:I'm wondering if Ecuador might be waiting to see if the US renew their trade agreement first? or are they pretty sure they won't?


Perhaps Ortigo is much more interested in seeing what they can get from the Russians. The balance of power is subtly shifting.

iamsen
Regular
Regular
Posts: 104
Joined: Sun, 03 Feb 2013

Postby iamsen » Sun, 30 Jun 2013 10:46 pm

Back when in my early teens, I had a school project to do with some classmates. We met up at the library to borrow some books. My classmates conveniently 'forgot' to bring their library card. They kept the books.

Almost a decade away from Singapore, I returned for a short 1 week visit, within 2 days, the library association or whatever it is called sent me a letter demanding overdue book fees.

My father who I was living with before leaving had already sold the flat and I was technially 'homeless' to the authorities. But they found me.

The god king and his minions are forever watching. I assume the same of other governments.

User avatar
Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1767
Joined: Sat, 19 Jun 2004
Location: Kinto Pino

Postby Mi Amigo » Wed, 28 Aug 2013 1:34 am

Regardless of this guy's political views, I think he makes some valid points:

Letter to President Obama on Surveillance and Freedom
Be careful what you wish for

rainetsl
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed, 08 May 2013

Postby rainetsl » Sun, 01 Sep 2013 9:47 pm

lol risking your life and being called a gutless traitor?

hes a patriot for looking out for the interests of his country. i have a lot of respect for what he has done.

PNGMK
Director
Director
Posts: 4852
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013

Postby PNGMK » Sun, 01 Sep 2013 10:47 pm

Mi Amigo wrote:Regardless of this guy's political views, I think he makes some valid points:

Letter to President Obama on Surveillance and Freedom



He's misunderstood why Pres. Obama became a constitutional expert. It's for the same reason I became an Australia taxation expert... to get around the law as expediently as possible.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests