Singapore Expats

PR application for spouse of Singapore Citizen

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
abc123xyz

PR application for spouse of Singapore Citizen

Post by abc123xyz » Mon, 24 Jun 2013 4:01 pm

Hi all,

I've been lurking around quite a bit, but would appreciate if you could provide me with some insights on my PR possibilities. It's a long post so please bear with me.

First attempt: Rejected in September 2011 when I was single, earning only 2k, no income tax. After that, I changed employer and have been sticking with my current company until now.

During that time, I got married in November 2012, salary increased to 2.2k. Did not pay any tax yet.

Second attempt: Rejected in June 2013, applied under my husband' sponsorship.

My husband is a Singapore Citizen, Chinese, (by birth, not acquired), 29, salary SGD3.8k .

Myself: Vietnamese, 25, holding S Pass, sales job, basic salary SGD2.4k, been here since 2007 as a student and started working in 2009 (taxable income is SGD46k including sales commission and other allowances, only for year 2012, before that I did not pay any tax)

My question is, should I apply a third time, and after how long? I received the unfavorable letter which did not specify any waiting time and told me to continue remaining here on my current pass. Does it mean I will never get a PR and settle down here?

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Post by v4jr4 » Mon, 24 Jun 2013 4:59 pm

When you received the rejection, do you see some words like "can apply in x years"?
"Budget Expat"

abc123xyz

Post by abc123xyz » Mon, 24 Jun 2013 5:22 pm

v4jr4 wrote:When you received the rejection, do you see some words like "can apply in x years"?
Nope, I stated that in the post

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 24 Jun 2013 5:40 pm

Wait until you have been married for a minimum of 2 years. After that try again. Three years better unless you have a child by 2 years. At the moment they probably see you as a potential marriage of convenience. I know it's not right or fair, but unfortunately, too many of your countrywomen have done just that and now the government is gun shy and want to protect their citizens. That's just the way it is.

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

abc123xyz

Post by abc123xyz » Mon, 24 Jun 2013 5:45 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Wait until you have been married for a minimum of 2 years. After that try again. Three years better unless you have a child by 2 years. At the moment they probably see you as a potential marriage of convenience. I know it's not right or fair, but unfortunately, too many of your countrywomen have done just that and now the government is gun shy and want to protect their citizens. That's just the way it is.

sms
My husband is infertile, adoption will only bring about complications I guess... and yes you are right, sometimes those women make me feel ashamed to be a Vietnamese myself. Can't blame the government sigh.

But there's this Indonesian Chinese girl in my office that got her PR approved in-principal, she's only been in Singapore for 6 months, single, earning lesser than me.

Talk about double standard.

iloverice
Regular
Regular

Post by iloverice » Mon, 24 Jun 2013 5:55 pm

I also know a lot of Indonesian Chinese (single or couple) that get the rejection letter for their PR application and they also wonder why. As the regulars said above, you could always apply again after 2 years.

abc123xyz

Post by abc123xyz » Mon, 24 Jun 2013 5:58 pm

iloverice wrote:I also know a lot of Indonesian Chinese (single or couple) that get the rejection letter for their PR application and they also wonder why. As the regulars said above, you could always apply again after 2 years.
Yeah, I guess I'll try again. I'll treat sms to some big ass wine if I get it in two years time.

Thank you sms

angeltan321

Post by angeltan321 » Mon, 24 Jun 2013 6:14 pm

I have a relative who is a singaporean married a vetnamise, first time apply pr for the wife got rejected. After that they appeal through mp and the pr got approved. Maybe you can try this it works.

abc123xyz

Post by abc123xyz » Mon, 24 Jun 2013 6:20 pm

angeltan321 wrote:I have a relative who is a singaporean married a vetnamise, first time apply pr for the wife got rejected. After that they appeal through mp and the pr got approved. Maybe you can try this it works.
Hi Angel,

The second time we applied with an MP recommendation letter, but it still got rejected. May I know how long had your relative been married to the Viet lady up until application time? I'm guessing it's the duration that matters.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 25 Jun 2013 10:57 am

abc123xyz wrote:
angeltan321 wrote:I have a relative who is a singaporean married a vetnamise, first time apply pr for the wife got rejected. After that they appeal through mp and the pr got approved. Maybe you can try this it works.
Hi Angel,

The second time we applied with an MP recommendation letter, but it still got rejected. May I know how long had your relative been married to the Viet lady up until application time? I'm guessing it's the duration that matters.
seriously, i always doubted MPs letter don't do much, as, after all, Singapore prides itself in an independant Civil Service system.

Getting an MP letter is akin to getting an appeal, which you could do yourself, nothing more, nothing less, in simpler words.

The ICA offficers are the final decision makers.

That's just my 2 cents

abc123xyz

Post by abc123xyz » Tue, 25 Jun 2013 9:15 pm

ecureilx wrote:
abc123xyz wrote:
Hi Angel,

seriously, i always doubted MPs letter don't do much, as, after all, Singapore prides itself in an independant Civil Service system.

Getting an MP letter is akin to getting an appeal, which you could do yourself, nothing more, nothing less, in simpler words.

The ICA offficers are the final decision makers.

That's just my 2 cents
We are going to appeal through an MP, will let you know the outcomes :)

My only wonder is why they give out PRs so easily to Malaysian Chinese/Indonesian Chinese who are barely here for 3 years and yet reject people like me who've been here for 6 years, even married to locals. And yes, I'm just being rhetorical, of course there's a wham-bam button to click when it comes to race.

angeltan321

Post by angeltan321 » Tue, 25 Jun 2013 11:06 pm

abc123xyz wrote:
Hi Angel,

hi, I forgot to mention that the wife was expecting when second time of application. They applied pr after 9 months of married. The pr got approved before giving birth her TRIPER boy.

abc123xyz

Post by abc123xyz » Wed, 26 Jun 2013 9:34 am

angeltan321 wrote:
abc123xyz wrote:
Hi Angel,

hi, I forgot to mention that the wife was expecting when second time of application. They applied pr after 9 months of married. The pr got approved before giving birth her TRIPER boy.
Well then they are very lucky people, God bless them and their family :) Maybe I don't deserve it cuz we are unable to produce any children

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Post by v4jr4 » Wed, 26 Jun 2013 9:39 am

abc123xyz wrote:My only wonder is why they give out PRs so easily to Malaysian Chinese/Indonesian Chinese who are barely here for 3 years and yet reject people like me who've been here for 6 years, even married to locals. And yes, I'm just being rhetorical, of course there's a wham-bam button to click when it comes to race.
Not sure if Malaysian Chinese is still the "flavor of the month", but things are not so smooth for Indonesian Chinese. The only good pattern that I can see from successful applications submitted by Indonesian Chinese, is related with education background (graduate in either Malaysia or Singapore).
"Budget Expat"

abc123xyz

Post by abc123xyz » Wed, 26 Jun 2013 2:42 pm

v4jr4 wrote:
abc123xyz wrote:My only wonder is why they give out PRs so easily to Malaysian Chinese/Indonesian Chinese who are barely here for 3 years and yet reject people like me who've been here for 6 years, even married to locals. And yes, I'm just being rhetorical, of course there's a wham-bam button to click when it comes to race.
Not sure if Malaysian Chinese is still the "flavor of the month", but things are not so smooth for Indonesian Chinese. The only good pattern that I can see from successful applications submitted by Indonesian Chinese, is related with education background (graduate in either Malaysia or Singapore).
I'm afraid I have to disagree. Like I mentioned earlier in my starting post, there is an Indonesian Chinese in my office who has barely stayed here for six months and yet obtained her PR through the LPR scheme without any hassle. She's now in her 9th month in Singapore.

Another friend of mine is also an Indonesian Chinese, graduated from MDIS and even her S Pass was rejected despite her sister and husband are PR.

Those who made the cut are mostly people who have been here for less than two years, those that got rejected could have been here their entire life (Remember the case of this girl called Naridah?).