Singapore Expats

Which VPN Provider to get with OpenNet Fiber?

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Which VPN Provider to get with OpenNet Fiber?

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 24 Jun 2013 3:13 pm

Which VPN Provider should you get if you have OpenNet Fiber available? This gets asked at least once a month.

The answer?

None. You should sign up for My Republic internet. They offer a service called "Teleporter" which allows you to connect to various regionally restricted media sites such as NetFlix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, etc. The only catch to make it work is that you need to use their DNS servers, something 99% of you probably do anyway (If you don't know what a "DNS Server" is, you'd already be using theirs then). What is particularly nice about this is that just your connections to each site is routed appropriately to the country required to view. So you don't have to switch VPN connections to different countries, or get stuck with all of your traffic going over the VPN and slowing everything else down.

An additional nicety for foreigners is that they offer a $59/month 100/50mb package with no contract. (It's cheaper with a contract of course)

Here are details about this service including the sites they guarantee to work:
https://secure.myrepublic.com.sg/add-ons/teleport.php

I don't work for them, nor am I getting any kind of compensation for posting this. I'm just *that happy* with the service.

Girl_Next_Door
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Girl_Next_Door » Tue, 25 Jun 2013 8:39 am

I am a complete idiot when it comes to such internet stuff. I kinda understand M1, Starhub & Singtel. However, what is the differences between SuperInternet & Viewqwest, as compared to MyRepublic? From the OpenNet site, it states that I can approach anyone of these RSP.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 25 Jun 2013 1:42 pm

Girl_Next_Door wrote:I am a complete idiot when it comes to such internet stuff. I kinda understand M1, Starhub & Singtel. However, what is the differences between SuperInternet & Viewqwest, as compared to MyRepublic? From the OpenNet site, it states that I can approach anyone of these RSP.
All six ISPs basically sell you the same internet connection. (Singtel, M1, Starhub, SuperInternet, MyRepublic, ViewQuest). Think of it as if all three mobile phone providers used the same network, and so the signal was the same, and the only differentiator was the customer services and the billing plan you use, plus value adds. It is the same for these ISPs. The big three bundle TV or their mobile plans into the package. That's their "value add". The small three have different differentiators, and cater to a more technical crowd with specific requirements. They also offer things such as the ability to watch TV without the VPN service, ISP plans optimized for gaming, lower latency connections, etc.

Pal
Site Admin
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Post by Pal » Tue, 25 Jun 2013 7:16 pm

ANy experience with ViewQwest?

They provide static IP! With that I can host some servers at home.
Singapore Expats

Home | Classifieds | Condo | Forum | Property

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 25 Jun 2013 9:24 pm

Pal wrote:ANy experience with ViewQwest?

They provide static IP! With that I can host some servers at home.
I don't, but the other thread just stated that they have a similar offering for TV. I was going to get ViewQuest initially, but their sales guy took too long to come back with no-contract quote for me.

MyRepublic gives a static IP for a $50 one time fee. If you don't buy one, they give you a private IP via DHCP that is 1 to 1 NATed to a public IP. For me, the $50 is worth it to just have the real public IP.

Pal
Site Admin
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Post by Pal » Tue, 25 Jun 2013 9:50 pm

Static IP is a must. I shall compare between them.
Singapore Expats

Home | Classifieds | Condo | Forum | Property