Singapore Expats

Dependent Pass for children outside of marriage

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
bagaz08

Dependent Pass for children outside of marriage

Post by bagaz08 » Sun, 23 Jun 2013 9:26 pm

Hi Guy....

I am on EP (P1)...Is it possible to apply DP for children outside of marriage...? I couldn't find anybody have similar issue. Thanks

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 23 Jun 2013 10:17 pm

It may be possible as long as your name is on the child's birth certificate as the father. PNGMK might be the one who could best answer your question though as he's been through the ropes here before I believe as well as via adoptions as well. Hopefully he will see this post.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

bagaz08

Post by bagaz08 » Sun, 23 Jun 2013 10:24 pm

Thanks a lot sms..u always helpful as usual -:)

mrfr0sty

Post by mrfr0sty » Fri, 28 Jun 2013 2:17 pm

I am in a similar situation except myself and my fiancee are both PR.

We had a son in Singapore, applied for PR and LTVP.

Both denied.

Appealed...denied.

No explanation given as to why.

I am a NZ/UK citizen, my fiancee Filipino.

We have to take our son to JB every 2 months to get a tourist visa, and inbetween we need to go to ICA to extend in Singapore (can only extend once, then you need to leave Sg to renew).

We have no idea what the singapore gov problem is with a baby born here to two PR?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 28 Jun 2013 2:41 pm

Probably the fact that you two are not married and the government doesn't want to be the host of a custody battle that may or may not happen in the future. The problem, as I see it, is who do they give custody to on the pass? Are both names on the child's Birth Certificate? Does the Child have dual citizenship? Whole can of worms. Get married and I doubt that you will have a problem.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

katbh
Reporter
Reporter

Post by katbh » Fri, 28 Jun 2013 2:45 pm

If you child is old enough, you can get him a student visa, instead of a SVP. These are usually longer visas. My sons have them for 5 years at them moment.

mrfr0sty

Post by mrfr0sty » Fri, 28 Jun 2013 2:52 pm

Hi SMS, thank you for your reply.

Both parents are named on his birth certificate, and he is a dual national of UK/Philippines by descent.

I guess, as you have noted, that we must get married sooner, rather than later.

Whilst I do understand that Singapore Gov maintains a typically old-fashioned view on cohabitation, it does feel quite inequitable that a baby is victimized in the process.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 28 Jun 2013 3:04 pm

I've no experience in this specifically. Both of my children are SC.

I do know someone who might be able to help. PM for details.

yes -the Singapore govt puts the parents sins on the children and even the grand kids sometimes.