Singapore Expats Forum

Why all the Nazi stickers on cars and bikes

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Brah
Manager
Manager

Postby Brah » Sun, 23 Jun 2013 6:33 pm

Nazi swasticas are in the opposite direction of temple swasticas.

What was that line in Midnight Express, "...a good Turk always turns to the left..."?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Sun, 23 Jun 2013 6:39 pm

Brah wrote:Nazi swasticas are in the opposite direction of temple swasticas.

Or, you need to consider that the German one was a complete bastardisation of the Chinese one.

I only say this as long ago in Asia, the first time saw 'Swasticas' at temples and so on, I was shocked :o

It was until much later that I learned that 'the swastica' originated from Asia, and not WW2 in Europe.

QRM
Manager
Manager

Postby QRM » Sun, 23 Jun 2013 7:31 pm

uscate
Chatter
Chatter

Postby uscate » Mon, 24 Jun 2013 6:56 am

I was in Yangshuo shortly after 9/11, and remember vendors selling t-shirts and hats with Osama bin Laden's face. That was a strike to the solar plexus....

QRM
Manager
Manager

Postby QRM » Mon, 24 Jun 2013 8:49 am

How much time has to pass before its OK to use the name or symbol? Blackbeard a name associated with a ruthless pirate could be used for a kids theme park ride. No one seems too bothered eating in a restaurant called Genghis Khan a man who if alive today would use the "Geneva Convention" to wipe his bottom.

x9200

Postby x9200 » Mon, 24 Jun 2013 9:21 am

Blackbeard is long dead. Nazzi ideology very much alive and growing stronger.

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Hannieroo » Mon, 24 Jun 2013 10:18 am

None of Ghengis Khan's victims are still walking around.

Good on you, Kat. watching you, SMS.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 24 Jun 2013 11:45 am

:lol:

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Postby poodlek » Tue, 25 Jun 2013 4:14 am

I saw a south Asian dude wearing a Nazi swastika on his shirt in VivoCity one time and my first thought was that the poor bloke thought he was repping Vishnu with a badass shirt. Maybe the swastika can be reclaimed with more frequent legitimate usage?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Tue, 25 Jun 2013 11:27 am

x9200 wrote:Blackbeard is long dead. Nazzi ideology very much alive and growing stronger.

But is there a risk here of conflating an ideology with a single person?

Piracy is alive and well, Blackbeard was not the sole protagonist. It is a real and current danger off Malaysia, Indon, the east coast of Africa and so on.

Naziism is alive and well, it didn't die with '''sole protagonist''' Hitler.

- Thinking: at what point does a tyrant become something to laugh about? You're right piracy and so on are things that now figure for comedic value in mainstream films. When will Hitler's turn come?

p.s. I've just remembered: Didn't Mel Brooks do a film called 'Teatime for Hitler' or similar? In a way that contradicts my point, though that said I wouldn't consider him mainstream.
ah... The Producers (1967)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063462/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2
Laden with comedic irony (i.e. a Jewish Broadway musical intentionally set-up to be a financial disaster, by celebrating Hitler)

x9200

Postby x9200 » Tue, 25 Jun 2013 1:00 pm

I agree. It's more complex. It is like a person got disconnected from the ideology, plus, the Western world does not see (truly, on socio-emotional level) the piracy as an issue.

At the same time we have abundance of neo-nazists around fueled by immigration/wellfare problems using the symbol and there is no counter balance for it (so positive swastika connotations). And we can laugh at Hitler or the Nazis but it needs some extra context. Using it neutral is still no go. There are some people around who would like to see it deadly serious and the way to handle the things.
Blackbeard, he is also used in a context, adventures themes etc. but nobody makes him and the whole piracy as something desirable and positive.

PNGMK
Governor
Governor

Postby PNGMK » Tue, 25 Jun 2013 2:35 pm

Well my mothers birth certificate comes complete with Nazi swastikas....

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Tue, 25 Jun 2013 3:06 pm

PNGMK wrote:Well my mothers birth certificate comes complete with Nazi swastikas....

Really? So, your mom was born in Nazi Germany. Fascinating.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Tue, 25 Jun 2013 4:09 pm

nakatago wrote:
PNGMK wrote:Well my mothers birth certificate comes complete with Nazi swastikas....

Really? So, your mom was born in Nazi Germany. Fascinating.

A lot of state documents from countries under German occupation at that time, will have German 'Nazi' stamps on them.

Birth certificate from any German occupied country, during WW2 - sure that's how it was. After all, you were now a German.

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Hannieroo » Tue, 25 Jun 2013 4:20 pm

x9200 wrote:I agree. It's more complex. It is like a person got disconnected from the ideology, plus, the Western world does not see (truly, on socio-emotional level) the piracy as an issue.

At the same time we have abundance of neo-nazists around fueled by immigration/wellfare problems using the symbol and there is no counter balance for it (so positive swastika connotations). And we can laugh at Hitler or the Nazis but it needs some extra context. Using it neutral is still no go. There are some people around who would like to see it deadly serious and the way to handle the things.
Blackbeard, he is also used in a context, adventures themes etc. but nobody makes him and the whole piracy as something desirable and positive.

This, really. To make a film about pirates or Wild West outlaws that shows some sympathy or glamour about the protagonists is simply movie making. It doesn't mean that being a criminal then or now is a good thing. It's a story. Stories frequently deal with things that are not nice.

To walk around displaying nazi symbols as a badge of your beliefs or fashion sense is just distasteful. I'm not sure who I despise more, those who wear it and know or those who just think it's a retro badass symbol. The bigoted or the moronic.

As an aside, is it not banned? I am sure it was banned in the UK as an incitement to riot and a breach of the peace. In the same way a tshirt with a racial hate slogan would be.