Singapore Expats Forum

Why all the Nazi stickers on cars and bikes

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

User avatar
Brah
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1962
Joined: Sat, 18 Dec 2010

Postby Brah » Fri, 28 Jun 2013 8:59 am

the lynx wrote:If someone says that a specific term is derogatory to a specific group of people, isn't it easier to just stop using it altogether?

Doesn't matter if it is endearing to the user or not.

Exactly. Except OSOD and JR8 insist to persist anyway. "Taking the piss"? Maybe. Linking it back to something more than half a century ago and trying to excuse that into current practice? That's pretty much folly.

As I said - use it and be uncouth and piss off people here unecessarily, or don't use it and be sensible per what Lynx said.

User avatar
Brah
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1962
Joined: Sat, 18 Dec 2010

Postby Brah » Fri, 28 Jun 2013 9:01 am

zzm9980 wrote:
JR8 wrote:
Hannieroo wrote:I'll comment where I bloody well please you jumped up know it all racist jerk.



Hahaha...


You laugh like you don't do this yourself. Still waiting for the explanation of the bug up my ass.

You know, your absence came up at the gathering. It was mentioned no one has actually ever met you. Some wondered if you're real at all.

I'm starting to suspect you're a menopausing woman.

And some wondered if he is a poster we haven't heard from in a long time whose toxicity by comparison was legendary....

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Fri, 28 Jun 2013 9:36 am

the lynx wrote:If someone says that a specific term is derogatory to a specific group of people, isn't it easier to just stop using it altogether?

Doesn't matter if it is endearing to the user or not.



[neither agreeing or disagreeing, just thinking]

Should one be able to take up a fight on behalf of others?

Should a bunch of westerners in Singapore, tell me how I can and can't refer to Japanese (or N E Other) people? And if so what qualifications do they need (A. Been there B. Married one C Fought against them).

The trouble is Lynx, when you simply stop having opinions 'because it's just so much easier [i.e. non-confrontational, un-challenging] ', then , for example, you end up with the anodyne crap that is the American media.

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 996
Joined: Tue, 22 Jan 2013

Postby Hannieroo » Fri, 28 Jun 2013 9:47 am

We are all entitled to opinions. But if one finds that one's opinion is unpopular or offensive to others one has to accep that. Say what you please but don't be surprised when people object.

I think you think you are refreshing a la Clarkson. Cutting through pc bullshit. You're not. You're a dinosaur. You've obviously travelled but you've learnt nothing.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Fri, 28 Jun 2013 10:11 am

Hannieroo wrote:We are all entitled to opinions. But if one finds that one's opinion is unpopular or offensive to others one has to accep that. Say what you please but don't be surprised when people object.

I think you think you are refreshing a la Clarkson. Cutting through pc bullshit. You're not. You're a dinosaur. You've obviously travelled but you've learnt nothing.


I agree with the first bit.

Was the 2nd bit aimed at me?

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5272
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby the lynx » Fri, 28 Jun 2013 10:21 am

JR8 wrote:
the lynx wrote:If someone says that a specific term is derogatory to a specific group of people, isn't it easier to just stop using it altogether?

Doesn't matter if it is endearing to the user or not.



[neither agreeing or disagreeing, just thinking]

Should one be able to take up a fight on behalf of others?

Should a bunch of westerners in Singapore, tell me how I can and can't refer to Japanese (or N E Other) people? And if so what qualifications do they need (A. Been there B. Married one C Fought against them).

The trouble is Lynx, when you simply stop having opinions 'because it's just so much easier [i.e. non-confrontational, un-challenging] ', then , for example, you end up with the anodyne crap that is the American media.


Why not? It is like a bunch of friends standing up for a fat girl and telling off the other bunch that it is not nice to call her fat (regardless whether it is a real fact or not?).

Here we go, American connotations again.

My decision not to speak out confrontational opinions (here in this forum, or out there) neither means that I'm incapable to forming such opinions, nor that I'm taking the convenient way out. I merely have a good thought filtration system or you may call it self-censorship.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35159
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 28 Jun 2013 10:30 am

^This.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Fri, 28 Jun 2013 10:43 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:My Dad, up till the day he died, still used the derogatory term as well. But, considering he was on the invasion landing of Okinawa in WWII I can understand it, I guess, although I don't use any derogatory terms for the Vietnamese. I could never understand it but there you go.


[Just going back through this thread... and thinking]...

I find this interesting. Because on the one hand you consider the term 'Jap/Japs' derogatory, which for most people it isn't at all.

And yet, you went to war in Vietnam, killed 'loadsa gooks', and now take pride in not ... er, saying '''bad things''' about them.

What's worse, killing them or insulting their dignity?


[Please don't take offence...!! I'm just mulling over contrasting statements. Nothing personal. And I love ya man x]

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35159
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 28 Jun 2013 11:00 am

Actually, I don't think I've ever used the term. Even after my return to the States in Jan '68 a week before the 68 Tet offensive. Also as a Loach pilot, we were unarmed. My take on the Japanese is more because of my father's hatred of them when I was growing up. In fact, my father refused to visit Asia because of what he went through on Okinawa and it wasn't until my 2nd child was born (his ONLY grandson) the he finally cowboy'd up and came to Singapore. It's hard work breaking molds of childhood and war experiences if bad.

It's not pride at all. It all about respecting people. The Japanese I know had absolutely nothing to do with WWII so why should I disrespect them? I already know they don't like the term as it's one that had been given to them by an opposing military in another era. It's history. Nothing PC about it. As I said, I understand my father although I never agree with him. But that was his war in his era. Not mine. Peace. ;-)

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 890
Joined: Mon, 02 Mar 2009

Postby morenangpinay » Fri, 28 Jun 2013 11:02 am

I think ww2 is a difficult issue because there are still people living who are connected to those events.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35159
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 28 Jun 2013 11:08 am

My connection died January a year ago. Although I did inherit his medals & discharge papers in a nice walnut frame after the Funeral. (My Sister kept the Flag in the nice triangular framed box). Life goes on.

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 996
Joined: Tue, 22 Jan 2013

Postby Hannieroo » Fri, 28 Jun 2013 11:18 am

He did what he needed to do in a time that needed it.

I kind of think the lesson learned from WWII should be precisely that you don't judge an entire nation or race by the actions of a few. That's how it started.

Plus, if you are British, you really don't want people holding a grudge for historical wrongdoing. We are a tiny little island that raped, stole and murdered it's way around the globe. The empire was not built on tea and scones.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9318
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Fri, 28 Jun 2013 11:22 am

JR8, you tend to emphasize points that were never made. It is not exactly very nice and appealing style. As simple as it can get one should have a good reason to offend someone. You seem to find some pleasure in expressing derogatory or controversial opinions between people that may have here some concerns or be a direct target. You don't see that perhaps half of the active regulars are already pissed at you? Are you really happy with this?

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Fri, 28 Jun 2013 11:32 am

My only reference points on Vietnam (the war) and WW2 (and indeed WW1, and GW1) are triangulating off what people (friends/family) who were there say about it: Or perhaps, how little they say.

Yes, I hear you. My father wouldn’t visit Japan. Sometimes it’s hard to fathom deep animosities within otherwise intelligent and placid people – but it is a quiet window to the horror they must have been through.


... Your later point, goes into forgiveness/absolution. Sorry can’t help here mate... where’s Father PNG, and his second coming (or what ever) ?’ hehehe ;



p.s. you say ‘The Japanese I know had absolutely nothing to do with WWII ‘ ... funny, same goes for the Germans I know, many of them haven’t even heard of WW2, it seems...

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6842
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Fri, 28 Jun 2013 11:48 am

JR8 wrote:
the lynx wrote:If someone says that a specific term is derogatory to a specific group of people, isn't it easier to just stop using it altogether?

Doesn't matter if it is endearing to the user or not.



[neither agreeing or disagreeing, just thinking]

Should one be able to take up a fight on behalf of others?


If it weren't for friends fighting on other friend's behalf, you'd be speaking German.
Image

JR8 wrote:Should a bunch of westerners in Singapore, tell me how I can and can't refer to Japanese (or N E Other) people? And if so what qualifications do they need (A. Been there B. Married one C Fought against them).


Well, Lynx isn't a westerner, but yes. You can think of it as a community trying to keep one of its own from making us all look like asshats. If you were calling Black people 'N*****s', we'd do the same thing. Would you be equally repulsed by it?

JR8 wrote:The trouble is Lynx, when you simply stop having opinions 'because it's just so much easier [i.e. non-confrontational, un-challenging] ', then , for example, you end up with the anodyne crap that is the American media.

Kind of like Fox news?

edit: removed extra IMG tags, no content.
Last edited by zzm9980 on Fri, 28 Jun 2013 11:54 am, edited 2 times in total.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests