Singapore Expats

Why all the Nazi stickers on cars and bikes

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Tue, 25 Jun 2013 6:14 pm

I can't agree. I know I went through a different educational system than both of you but we covered the Boer war, Cambodia, Korea, Vietnam and the more global aspects of WWII. And a fair chunk of the rise and fall of the empire and the french and russian revolutions. I know we did Boston tea party too but I think the civil war was college. Not all history, a fair bit was social studies and geography and Iraq and Yugoslavia at that time would have been media studies. But it was there.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 25 Jun 2013 6:20 pm

zzm9980 wrote:Japanese Rising Sun flags are readily sold in the US actually.

Why?

They're illegal to display in Japan.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 25 Jun 2013 6:38 pm

Hanni, it IS there but does not carry that much of emotional load as something concerning our own family tree. Besides, at least from my observations, I see it mostly on motorbikes and such, meaning the owners perhaps not that highly educated.

Also, this is you, me, other guys on this forum, we are even not close to the Western or for that fact any other large population average and I bet you will be rather disappointed in the performance of our own societies when it comes to cross-cultural historical knowledge and sensitivity.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 25 Jun 2013 6:44 pm

JR8 wrote:

Why?

Funny enough, Japanese law doesn't apply in the US. Plenty of things banned in Europe related to Nazis are also protected in the US under the first amendment (Freedom of Speech and Expression).

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Tue, 25 Jun 2013 6:46 pm

True. Still rubbish though.

Best go check husband's motorbike. The rig pig.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 25 Jun 2013 6:50 pm

Hannieroo wrote:True. Still rubbish though.

Best go check husband's motorbike. The rig pig.
Honestly though, if you go back far enough or look closely enough, almost any national, ethnic, or religious symbol will be found offensive by someone somewhere. It will all depend on who wrote their text books or at least designed their curriculum.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 25 Jun 2013 6:52 pm

I check mine every morning.

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Tue, 25 Jun 2013 7:27 pm

Good job I did, honk if you're horny, indeed. :evil:

I've thought about this. I understand each country writes it's own history and I understand that every culture has it's taboos. I also understand I come from a country that's caused a fair bit of mischief over the years and because of that my generation was taught to be a little more cautious about these things. But in this day and age I do not understand ignorance. I do not understand how this generation can't use freaking google and read why that symbol isn't just a bit edgy. That is that is making me cross. Stop uploading planking photos and frigging read instead.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 25 Jun 2013 7:48 pm

Maybe your son put it on the bike?

Okay, I know............. I was a rig pig for the better part of 2 decades as a commercial diver!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Tue, 25 Jun 2013 8:30 pm

JR8 wrote:
Why?

I never heard that, but saw them there from time to time.
Can you quote your source?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 25 Jun 2013 9:40 pm

PNGMK wrote:
JR8 wrote:
nakatago wrote: Really? So, your mom was born in Nazi Germany. Fascinating.
A lot of state documents from countries under German occupation at that time, will have German 'Nazi' stamps on them.

Birth certificate from any German occupied country, during WW2 - sure that's how it was. After all, you were now a German.
Exactly - she was born in Nazi occupied territory.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 25 Jun 2013 9:59 pm

Brah wrote:
JR8 wrote:
Why?

I never heard that, but saw them there from time to time.
Can you quote your source?

My 'source' is from having lived there for 2 years.

ZZMs is from having a bug up his a***

Have you never been there? It'd akin to the Swastika flag in Germany, the suppressed monomaniacal pride thing: You really do feel they'd still love to wave it... but in global terms it would be 'impolite'. That after all is a reason why Japan changed it's flag after WW2, something few countries do!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 25 Jun 2013 10:00 pm

PNGMK wrote: Exactly - she was born in Nazi occupied territory.
Quite. And it's weird how my family were active in the 'Resistance', and I can say that here... but My God if you're with Germans, just don't mention the war.

They have no interest, no inquisitiveness about family, history and so on. Turn a room of polite people cold with death-stares instantly by saying ANYTHING about the war (been there).

Do not say anything. Pretend it never happened. Nothing. Ah hahaha you're all such cultured people, beer, leder-hosen, sausage [absolutely no genocide in sight]. Oh sh*t Wagner, what to do, he was a Nazi... <keep>

Which is weird for such a war-mongering peoples. AND they have not changed their spots... no, I don't believe it. They'll be all doe-eyed and guilty for a generation, and then go off and start some 'neue-genocide' program afresh...

They're already trying to dominate/run the EU... sure they know best eh? World War 3 sans les tanks and bombs.

p.s. The man on the street might ask... 'We've spent a century sending our youth off to die fighting these people, can't we just be 'kin rid of them?'

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Tue, 25 Jun 2013 10:07 pm

A part of me agrees. A part of me says you can't judge somebody now, you have no idea who their family were or what your own reactions would be in such a situation. But also, I can't see a street of people in Britain at that time watching whilst their neighbours were dragged off. I just can't. But we can't ever know.

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Tue, 25 Jun 2013 10:16 pm

I asked my husband and he pointed out that there's a sizeable minority who would stand and watch if it was Moslem or polish families being loaded on trains. And if that minority does get into power by whatever reason and has guns would we be any different? Would the desire to survive outweigh what you know is right? Not sure.