Singapore Expats Forum

NS question

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Mon, 24 Jun 2013 8:52 am

JR8 wrote:It's a death penalty in Singapore.


You inviting trouble by imagining you're somehow 'above it'.... you're not, they will hang you.


They're not going to hang you for having THC in your blood.

OP, are you dual-citizen Singaporean/Canadian? Or just Singaporean?
A Brit recently posted that he was deported and banned from Singapore. They caught him with a failed drug test of some sort on his way back from Thailand. I imagine as a young kid coming from Canada, your penalty will be harsh by Western standards but it won't be too terribly harsh. If your parents have a lot of money, they'll probably give you a big fine.

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Mon, 24 Jun 2013 8:53 am

katbh wrote:But I believe it is still illegal in Canada.


Nope. If it hasn't been outright legalized, it's definitely no longer enforced.

LupeSafarii
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun, 23 Jun 2013
Location: Tdot

Postby LupeSafarii » Mon, 24 Jun 2013 9:31 am

zzm9980 wrote:
JR8 wrote:It's a death penalty in Singapore.


You inviting trouble by imagining you're somehow 'above it'.... you're not, they will hang you.


They're not going to hang you for having THC in your blood.

OP, are you dual-citizen Singaporean/Canadian? Or just Singaporean?
A Brit recently posted that he was deported and banned from Singapore. They caught him with a failed drug test of some sort on his way back from Thailand. I imagine as a young kid coming from Canada, your penalty will be harsh by Western standards but it won't be too terribly harsh. If your parents have a lot of money, they'll probably give you a big fine.


Singapore citizen and Canadian PR. I've decided to quit anyway and my examination is on August 27, leaving me with ample time to detox and flush my body .. can't wait for the celebration blunt after the 2 years tho lol ^^

IronMac
Regular
Regular
Posts: 95
Joined: Mon, 04 May 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby IronMac » Mon, 24 Jun 2013 9:39 am

LupeSafarii wrote:can't wait for the celebration blunt after the 2 years tho lol


Man, I hope that NS will cure you of that garbage.

LupeSafarii
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun, 23 Jun 2013
Location: Tdot

Postby LupeSafarii » Mon, 24 Jun 2013 10:12 am

IronMac wrote:
LupeSafarii wrote:can't wait for the celebration blunt after the 2 years tho lol


Man, I hope that NS will cure you of that garbage.


To each his own beliefs and opinions.
"Herb is the healing of a nation" - Bob Marley

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34262
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 24 Jun 2013 10:12 am

Agree.

katbh
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 598
Joined: Thu, 04 Oct 2007
Location: Singapore

Postby katbh » Mon, 24 Jun 2013 10:45 am

LupeSafarii wrote:
IronMac wrote:
LupeSafarii wrote:can't wait for the celebration blunt after the 2 years tho lol


Man, I hope that NS will cure you of that garbage.


To each his own beliefs and opinions.
"Herb is the healing of a nation" - Bob Marley


I just love how the teenagers quote the 60s and 70s without coming up with any defining culture of their own to quote. And then tell us who grew up in the 60s and 70s that we do not know what it is like to be a teenager!

I am not a great supporter of NS, believing that it makes a warring national an acceptable option, but who knows, LupeSfarli, it will probably make a sensible man who is able to define his own culture by its own time and age.
Last edited by katbh on Mon, 24 Jun 2013 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Mon, 24 Jun 2013 10:54 am

LupeSafarii wrote:To each his own beliefs and opinions.
"Herb is the healing of a nation" - Bob Marley


Bob Marley didn't live in Singapore though, nor was he subject to NS :)

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 996
Joined: Tue, 22 Jan 2013

Postby Hannieroo » Mon, 24 Jun 2013 11:30 am

Every generation thinks the one before knew jack.

therat
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 516
Joined: Thu, 04 Sep 2008

Postby therat » Mon, 24 Jun 2013 11:32 am

LupeSafarii wrote:Thx for the link zzm ^^ Jeez I can't believe some of the things I'm reading ..
In Singapore, you can be arrested for jaywalking, littering, or spitting.
Singapore police have the authority to compel both residents and non-residents to submit to random drug analysis.

Lmao. Jaywalking and littering can land you in jail? I mean this in no disrespect but is Singapore a democracy with respect to human rights or is it a police state disguised as a democracy lol


Jaywalking - fine $20

Littering - 1st time offender fine S$ 300.
Also, if you commit littering offences which involved larger items like drink cans or bottle in a public place, you might face the trouble of appearing in the court and sentenced with a Corrective Work Order (CWO) scheme.

Spitting - depend where and who you had spitting to.
If to the floor, FINE: S$500

IF spit to Singapore police officer, you will get charge at courts.
Either fine or jail up to 4 yrs.
Recently, a British magazine editor has been fined $8,000 for spitting at a Singapore police officer after an alcohol-fuelled Christmas party

kookaburrah
Regular
Regular
Posts: 141
Joined: Thu, 21 Aug 2008
Location: SG

Postby kookaburrah » Mon, 24 Jun 2013 11:47 am

katbh wrote:
LupeSafarii wrote:To each his own beliefs and opinions.
"Herb is the healing of a nation" - Bob Marley


I just ove how the teenagers quote the 60s and 70s without coming up with any defining culture of their own to quote. And then tell us who grew up in the 60s and 70s that we do not know what it is like to be a teenager!

I am not a great supporter of NS, believing that it makes a waring national an acceptable option, but who know,s LupeSfarli, it will probably make a sensible man who is able to define his own culture by its own time and age.


Most likely he'll be able to get a good laugh at Ah Boys To Men - those pearls of cinematography. I don't think it is reasonable to expect any teenager to create it's own quotable culture, whatever that means.

It seems to me most generations quote the previous ones, and I sure you did too in your time - or did you quote your peers.

Maybe we're not quoting the bits you like, but that's hardly reason to post here.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34262
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 24 Jun 2013 11:54 am

katbh wrote:
LupeSafarii wrote:
IronMac wrote:
LupeSafarii wrote:can't wait for the celebration blunt after the 2 years tho lol


Man, I hope that NS will cure you of that garbage.


To each his own beliefs and opinions.
"Herb is the healing of a nation" - Bob Marley


I just ove how the teenagers quote the 60s and 70s without coming up with any defining culture of their own to quote. And then tell us who grew up in the 60s and 70s that we do not know what it is like to be a teenager!

I am not a great supporter of NS, believing that it makes a waring national an acceptable option, but who know,s LupeSfarli, it will probably make a sensible man who is able to define his own culture by its own time and age.


I don't know what culture I grew up in! I'm still growing up! Was it the 40's & 50's? 60's & 70's or some time after the millennium???? Felt like a youngster Friday night! :o :cool:

User avatar
Barnsley
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2063
Joined: Tue, 10 Jun 2008
Location: Pasir Ris
Contact:

Postby Barnsley » Mon, 24 Jun 2013 12:14 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
katbh wrote:
LupeSafarii wrote:
IronMac wrote:
LupeSafarii wrote:can't wait for the celebration blunt after the 2 years tho lol


Man, I hope that NS will cure you of that garbage.


To each his own beliefs and opinions.
"Herb is the healing of a nation" - Bob Marley


I just ove how the teenagers quote the 60s and 70s without coming up with any defining culture of their own to quote. And then tell us who grew up in the 60s and 70s that we do not know what it is like to be a teenager!

I am not a great supporter of NS, believing that it makes a waring national an acceptable option, but who know,s LupeSfarli, it will probably make a sensible man who is able to define his own culture by its own time and age.


I don't know what culture I grew up in! I'm still growing up! Was it the 40's & 50's? 60's & 70's or some time after the millennium???? Felt like a youngster Friday night! :o :cool:


I am still recovering!!
Life is short, paddle harder!!

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34262
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 24 Jun 2013 12:34 pm

Yeah, Saturday around lunch time was iffy for a while. :wink:

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Mon, 24 Jun 2013 2:38 pm

IronMac wrote:
LupeSafarii wrote:can't wait for the celebration blunt after the 2 years tho lol


Man, I hope that NS will cure you of that garbage.


What an enlightened opinion. Do you say the same to those that smoke cigarrettes or drink alcohol?


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests