Singapore Expats

Young professional, short-term rental - Where to look?

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
floelizaevans

Young professional, short-term rental - Where to look?

Post by floelizaevans » Sat, 22 Jun 2013 7:39 pm

Hi all,

I'm due to arrive in Singapore late next week for a 3 month work placement at an Ad Agency.

It's inevitable that I'll be spending most of my time at the Office (located by Bugis MRT), but am keen to explore and make the most of my trip in any spare time I get!

Can anyone recommend particular areas that I can narrow my search to? Or any websites that I can find like-minded Expats to share with? As I've been scanning online and feel like I'm searching for a needle in a haystack!

I don't mind a commute if it means I can be in a buzzy area (or one is within easy reach).

I have a very small budget of $800 max for a room, ideally in a condo, but I'm presuming a HBD is more likely.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

Search By

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 22 Jun 2013 10:23 pm

IIRC you can't (legally) sub-let a room in a flatshare for such a short period of time.

The more usual answer to this question would be getting a Serviced Apartment, but you haven't a hope on your budget. You're between a rock and a hard place.

Perhaps you could ask the company you're going to be working for for suggestions. I'd be interested in how they reply, as on the face of it I'd have thought they must know the bind they have put you in.

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Sun, 23 Jun 2013 1:27 pm

Scan . for short-term rentals. I am not sure, but I think the minimum rental period
1) For HDB full apartments is binding, and at least 12 months
2) For condos up to the condo management, but many will disallow short rental periods of whole flats.
For rooms, as far as I know, there is no such restriction. Though in condos, they would still frown upon frequent tenant change, and thus discourage short-term rental. That said, for $800, you are most likely to get a room in an HDB.

Check the usual property sites - . (look for short term rental + rooms), ., etc.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 23 Jun 2013 1:56 pm

AngMoG wrote:Scan . for short-term rentals. I am not sure, but I think the minimum rental period
2) For condos up to the condo management, but many will disallow short rental periods of whole flats.
#1 No help, he needs a place for 3 months.

#2 That is to stop units being sub-let to '20 people' short-time at the same time; i.e. what is considered anti-social behaviour. Same reason the MO controls the issuance of keys and/or access passes. They want to know who is in what units and everything is being done legally.

In my experience it is only the named parties on the Tenancy Agreement who are permitted to live there. Obviously you can have guests, but not rent-paying co-tenants without landlord and MO approval.
AngMoG wrote: That said, for $800, you are most likely to get a room in an HDB.
Refer #1 above.

AngMoG wrote: Check the usual property sites - . (look for short term rental + rooms), ., etc.
I understand many of the sub-lets there are 'unofficial', so good luck if you were to be unfortunate enough to end up in court with an invalid TA.

Rather than this right/wrong/muddle of advice, I'd have thought asking the employer HR for their general advice would be a better starting point. I.e. if they're offering S$800pcm rent allowance, ask them what you can legally let/sub-let for 3 months. This serves the dual purpose of leading them towards accepting they are, via their offer, almost obliging the OP to break the law.

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Sun, 23 Jun 2013 9:54 pm

JR8 wrote:
AngMoG wrote:Scan . for short-term rentals. I am not sure, but I think the minimum rental period

#2 That is to stop units being sub-let to '20 people' short-time at the same time; i.e. what is considered anti-social behaviour. Same reason the MO controls the issuance of keys and/or access passes. They want to know who is in what units and everything is being done legally.

In my experience it is only the named parties on the Tenancy Agreement who are permitted to live there. Obviously you can have guests, but not rent-paying co-tenants without landlord and MO approval.
Refer #1 above.

AngMoG wrote: Check the usual property sites - . (look for short term rental + rooms), ., etc.
I understand many of the sub-lets there are 'unofficial', so good luck if you were to be unfortunate enough to end up in court with an invalid TA.

Rather than this right/wrong/muddle of advice, I'd have thought asking the employer HR for their general advice would be a better starting point. I.e. if they're offering S$800pcm rent allowance, ask them what you can legally let/sub-let for 3 months. This serves the dual purpose of leading them towards accepting they are, via their offer, almost obliging the OP to break the law.
Sorry for muddling it up a bit... IMO it should be possible to get short-term room in a condo, and possibly in an HDB. Should be legal in the condo, but usually more expensive - $800 may not be possible. As for the legality of HDB room rental... I can only say that I have heard of people renting only a few months.

But yeah, the best way would be to contact company HR.

wwww
Regular
Regular

Post by wwww » Fri, 28 Jun 2013 1:45 pm

AngMoG wrote:
JR8 wrote:

Refer #1 above.

Sorry for muddling it up a bit... IMO it should be possible to get short-term room in a condo, and possibly in an HDB. Should be legal in the condo, but usually more expensive - $800 may not be possible. As for the legality of HDB room rental... I can only say that I have heard of people renting only a few months.

But yeah, the best way would be to contact company HR.
It's being done but its actually illegal. Even for condo rooms the minimum rental duration is 6 months.

Girl_Next_Door
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Girl_Next_Door » Fri, 28 Jun 2013 1:53 pm

You should try flatshare or sharedaccommodation sites. Sometimes, there are short term lease or flexible lease, if you are not fussy on the location.

floelizaevans

Post by floelizaevans » Mon, 01 Jul 2013 2:48 pm

Hi all,

Thanks for all the advice, it definitely helped me muddle through all the options! I've managed to secure a small room in a shared condo. The lack of space is made up for by the facilities :) Thanks again!

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 01 Jul 2013 3:04 pm

floelizaevans wrote:Hi all,

Thanks for all the advice, it definitely helped me muddle through all the options! I've managed to secure a small room in a shared condo. The lack of space is made up for by the facilities :) Thanks again!
Hi. Mind sharing which website did you use to look for flatshare? :)