Singapore Expats Forum

Facebook breach

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Sun, 21 Jul 2013 8:58 pm

Mi Amigo wrote:That's the COOLEST payment card I've seen in a long time. Do we have to call you 'Mr. Bounty' from now on, or will 'Bug' be allowed?


Better not Mr Bug. Certain people on this forum dedicate their life to terminating bugs (Lynx :P)

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Sun, 21 Jul 2013 9:01 pm

nakatago wrote:Fascinating. So they give the 'cash' in the form of a debit card. I thought they'd wire it or something.


It sounded cool at first, but it is quite the hassle. I also found out today that $1,025 ATM withdraw every 24 hours doesn't mean that the clock resets at some reasonable hour like most banks, but that you must wait a full 24 hours from the last time you took money out. So 6:45pm last night, 7pm tonight, 7:01pm or later tomorrow... Quite the hassle.

These types of cards are quite common now in the US for Payroll, and they're starting to be controversial. Many employers get kickbacks for issuing them to employees, and the bank really socks the user with fees. Since these are the people working at Mc Donalds and making ~$200/week, it hits them hard.


Image

You do get one "free" withdrawal per deposit, but they don't stack.

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Sun, 21 Jul 2013 9:49 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
nakatago wrote:Fascinating. So they give the 'cash' in the form of a debit card. I thought they'd wire it or something.


It sounded cool at first, but it is quite the hassle. I also found out today that $1,025 ATM withdraw every 24 hours doesn't mean that the clock resets at some reasonable hour like most banks, but that you must wait a full 24 hours from the last time you took money out. So 6:45pm last night, 7pm tonight, 7:01pm or later tomorrow... Quite the hassle.

These types of cards are quite common now in the US for Payroll, and they're starting to be controversial. Many employers get kickbacks for issuing them to employees, and the bank really socks the user with fees. Since these are the people working at Mc Donalds and making ~$200/week, it hits them hard.

You do get one "free" withdrawal per deposit, but they don't stack.


Yeah; probably without those kickbacks, it'll just be easier/less expensive to deposit the money into a person's account.

Well, that's corporate legal corruption for you. :?

User avatar
Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1767
Joined: Sat, 19 Jun 2004
Location: Kinto Pino

Postby Mi Amigo » Mon, 22 Jul 2013 3:59 pm

Wow, they charge you $1 just to check the balance at an ATM? :shock: Unbelievable.
Be careful what you wish for

PNGMK
Director
Director
Posts: 4857
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013

Postby PNGMK » Mon, 22 Jul 2013 5:04 pm

Personally I thought that bug was worth a lot more than $12,000.

User avatar
Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1767
Joined: Sat, 19 Jun 2004
Location: Kinto Pino

Postby Mi Amigo » Mon, 22 Jul 2013 9:05 pm

PNGMK wrote:Personally I thought that bug was worth a lot more than $12,000.

Depends who's buying. But zzm is a white hat, so he did the decent thing.
Be careful what you wish for

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Tue, 23 Jul 2013 7:26 am

Mi Amigo wrote:
PNGMK wrote:Personally I thought that bug was worth a lot more than $12,000.

Depends who's buying. But zzm is a white hat, so he did the decent thing.


I had vague offers for more. But those were through a third or forth party, and seemed like a lot of hassle. Plus by the nature of the vulnerability, it would be hard to demonstrate it without completely giving it away and letting someone just not pay. Facebook's program to pay (as opposed to most major company's) is well established and has a good rep to pay, so I didn't bother trying to get more out of it. Honestly, if the NSA had a Blackhat Bounty program that was as simple and painless to pay out, I would have just as likely gone to them :P

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5239
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Midgar

Postby the lynx » Tue, 23 Jul 2013 9:41 am

Most.Awesome.Card.Ever!

Well, the bugs I deal with have hemolymph flowing through them. Different thing :P :wink:

Hidy Ho
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 175
Joined: Fri, 07 Oct 2011

Postby Hidy Ho » Tue, 23 Jul 2013 3:31 pm

zzm9980 wrote:But none of you know my last name anyway, so it doesn't really matter :cool:


I need some jelly bean ...

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5239
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Midgar

Postby the lynx » Mon, 19 Aug 2013 10:31 am

http://rt.com/news/facebook-post-exploit-hacker-zuckerberg-621/#!

Another Facebook security issue. This time it involves being able to post on a stranger's wall. Not good ending for that "white hat" though.

PNGMK
Director
Director
Posts: 4857
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013

Postby PNGMK » Mon, 19 Aug 2013 11:13 am

the lynx wrote:http://rt.com/news/facebook-post-exploit-hacker-zuckerberg-621/#!

Another Facebook security issue. This time it involves being able to post on a stranger's wall. Not good ending for that "white hat" though.


I saw that - it made Zuckerberg look even more like an arsewipe.

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Mon, 19 Aug 2013 5:32 pm

the lynx wrote:http://rt.com/news/facebook-post-exploit-hacker-zuckerberg-621/#!

Another Facebook security issue. This time it involves being able to post on a stranger's wall. Not good ending for that "white hat" though.


I saw it too. They also shot me down when I first reported it. But I have friends of friends who work there, so I was able to get it looked at by someone who wasn't a retard.

PNGMK
Director
Director
Posts: 4857
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013

Postby PNGMK » Mon, 19 Aug 2013 5:38 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
the lynx wrote:http://rt.com/news/facebook-post-exploit-hacker-zuckerberg-621/#!

Another Facebook security issue. This time it involves being able to post on a stranger's wall. Not good ending for that "white hat" though.


I saw it too. They also shot me down when I first reported it. But I have friends of friends who work there, so I was able to get it looked at by someone who wasn't a retard.


Zucker would have to hire retards in order to hire someone stupider than himself. Anyone who does't think he's only a puppet for the powers that be is fooling themself.

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Mon, 19 Aug 2013 6:04 pm

Image

Mirror of the 'hack'.

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Mon, 19 Aug 2013 6:06 pm

PNGMK wrote: Anyone who does't think he's only a puppet for the powers that be is fooling themself.


Oh how I would have loved to have won the lotto and been picked by the real zionist/free mason/illuminati overlords to be the useful idiot puppet to run Facebook (NSA data mining project) and live the life of a young billionaire. Wouldn't have married the frumpy girl he did though. Unless she's secretly a PRC Princessling.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Latest News & Current Affairs”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests