Singapore Expats

Moving to Singapore in July for a Masters @ NUS

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.
Post Reply
User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 40447
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 21
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 28 Jul 2013 4:35 pm

ewiz77, so you agree with the politics, favouritism and sex scandals, yeah?

As far as the NUS professor with a fake degree, it was one of your buddies that first posted it I believe on TRE....

http://www.tremeritus.com/2012/12/20/fo ... s-a-fraud/

I'm sure if I look hard enough I might even be able to support the IP theft here as well, considering I've never met a Singaporean who hasn't used counterfeit Software or downloaded/purchased counterfeit movies and/or songs. And forget about the booming business of photocopying of published works without permission.

Should I continue?????
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 999
Joined: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 6:04 pm

Post by Hannieroo » Sun, 28 Jul 2013 7:42 pm

That's just dumb. Printer ink costs more than books.

x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10073
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 4:06 pm
Location: Singapore

Post by x9200 » Mon, 29 Jul 2013 9:35 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:As far as the NUS professor with a fake degree, it was one of your buddies that first posted it I believe on TRE....

http://www.tremeritus.com/2012/12/20/fo ... s-a-fraud/?
Not knowing any details I would say rather his Alma Mater is to be blamed, not NUS. NUS is probably guilty of keeping an average person as an academic and if their working culture follows many other places in Singapore, also blind adherence to all sorts of KPIs, among them No of published papers. But then doing research is not the only statutory role of such institutions and someone may be a good academic teacher but an average researcher. It is extremely difficult to prove scientific misconduct if the research is just on an average level so I believe it might have happened and happens practically everywhere (to lesser or larger extent).

(not arguing on the actual point, just saying this is perhaps not the best example)

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 40447
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 21
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 29 Jul 2013 11:34 am

Hannieroo wrote:That's just dumb. Printer ink costs more than books.
They photocopy them using the schools copiers. Doesn't cost 'em anything! :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

User avatar
Aragorn2000
Regular
Regular
Posts: 126
Joined: Sun, 30 Dec 2012 12:52 am

Post by Aragorn2000 » Mon, 29 Jul 2013 2:25 pm

x9200 wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:As far as the NUS professor with a fake degree, it was one of your buddies that first posted it I believe on TRE....

http://www.tremeritus.com/2012/12/20/fo ... s-a-fraud/?
Not knowing any details I would say rather his Alma Mater is to be blamed, not NUS. NUS is probably guilty of keeping an average person as an academic and if their working culture follows many other places in Singapore, also blind adherence to all sorts of KPIs, among them No of published papers. But then doing research is not the only statutory role of such institutions and someone may be a good academic teacher but an average researcher. It is extremely difficult to prove scientific misconduct if the research is just on an average level so I believe it might have happened and happens practically everywhere (to lesser or larger extent).

(not arguing on the actual point, just saying this is perhaps not the best example)
I agree. Academic fraud happens everywhere.
http://www.nature.com/naturejobs/scienc ... j7396-137a

Speaking from my own experience (I spent two semesters in ANU), in terms of academic rigor (in math and computing), NUS is not worse (if better) than ANU.

User avatar
Aragorn2000
Regular
Regular
Posts: 126
Joined: Sun, 30 Dec 2012 12:52 am

Post by Aragorn2000 » Mon, 29 Jul 2013 2:31 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Hannieroo wrote:That's just dumb. Printer ink costs more than books.
They photocopy them using the schools copiers. Doesn't cost 'em anything! :lol:
If the so called NUS "scholarship" provides 4300 SGD a year, and you can only work for 16 hours per week at McDonalds for $4 per hour, I would be too hungry to think about buying "copyrighted books".

The books that really matter to the course are usually loaned for only 2 hours in the library. That 2 hours is better spent on photoocopying!

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8363
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 11:23 pm
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children

Post by nakatago » Mon, 29 Jul 2013 2:44 pm

And don't forget about professors requiring textbooks that just came out and only available in hardcover!

And ending up only needing 40% of the book.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Relocating, Moving to Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests