Singapore Expats Forum

Spore Citizen / US Permant Resident returning on expat packa

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

ACG

Spore Citizen / US Permant Resident returning on expat packa

Postby ACG » Fri, 09 Apr 2004 1:45 pm

I am a Singaporean citizen (and also a US permanent resident) who has been working for a US company since 1988. I was recently offered an expat package to return to Singapore to develop business in the Asia region. I will be working from home.

Salary will be paid by the US company in US$. I have been paying US taxes since I lived in the US, and have not paid Singapore taxes since I moved to the US in 1988. This is for a 2 year assignment, with the option of additional annual extension if the business picks up.

Can anyone help with a few questions please?

1) I believe the company will have to contribute CPF as I am still a Singapore citizen. Is this correct?

2) Is there any way that I or the company
can bypass the CPF requirement as I have already been contributing to the US company's 401K retirement plan with matching benefits?

I tried researching the past few days on local resources, but have not come up with anyone useful (e.g., Internal Revenue Authority, Ministry of Labor, CPF, Contact Spore webistes, etc).

Can anyone help?

jpatokal

Re: Spore Citizen / US Permant Resident returning on expat p

Postby jpatokal » Fri, 09 Apr 2004 7:25 pm

ACG wrote:1) I believe the company will have to contribute CPF as I am still a Singapore citizen. Is this correct?

Yes. Although it's not uncommonly arranged so that your salary will be (unofficially) deducted to compensate so your cost to the firm will match that of a CPF-less expat.

2) Is there any way that I or the company
can bypass the CPF requirement as I have already been contributing to the US company's 401K retirement plan with matching benefits?

As far as I know the answer is no; you're not liable for CPF when outside the country, but you do have to pay it when working in Singapore, period. Of course, there's nothing stopping you from withdrawing the CPF money and reinvesting it elsewhere if you choose to quit Singapore again some day.

But in questions like this the final answers come from the CPB, not anonymous strangers on a website...