Singapore Expats Forum

One way flight??

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:
Image
The Club Residences

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Fri, 21 Jun 2013 9:03 am

katbh wrote:Unless you have a valid employment pass, and have the pass in your hand, it is unlikely that you will be allowed on the aeroplane without an onward journey.
It is best to be prepared.
I would suggest going on airasia/tiger/scoot website and buying a $20 airfare somewhere from Singapore. It is better to do this than to be caught at the airport and having to pay full price fare for your onward flight.


Is this really the case Katbh? (I've no idea, I'm trying to understand how things work these days).

For example could I not enter Singapore as a tourist, with the intention of exiting by say train to KL, or taxi/boat to Tioman?

Since I could not buy those onward means of transport from abroad... what would I do, would I simply not be allowed in?

p.s. Furthermore why did they let me in this time (as previously), on a one-way ticket and no status/residency?

katbh
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 598
Joined: Thu, 04 Oct 2007
Location: Singapore

Postby katbh » Fri, 21 Jun 2013 9:10 am

it is truly the case if you are coming from a country with a 'reasonable' airport. So if you are flying from USA, UK, Australia etc, you will be stopped unless you can show onward travel. It does not need to be an airfare but needs to be a train fare out, a car hire showing international insurance (eg insurance for Malaysia) - but they are a bit iffy on the car hire thing sometimes. Best bet is to get an onward fare. We have been caught out before and had to pay full price for a fare on the spot. So what is a $20 fare just to be safe.
Some places like Indonesia, Vietnam etc, do not check - they just want to make sure you leave!

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Fri, 21 Jun 2013 9:24 am

katbh wrote:Some places like Indonesia, Vietnam etc, do not check - they just want to make sure you leave!


I know the 'return journey requirement' exists in some countries, but I was talking specifically about Singapore.

I'm here, I have no status (I'm technically a tourist), and have 'no return journey'.

In fact each time I've come to live in SG I've travelled one way and arrived with 'no status'...

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10888
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Fri, 21 Jun 2013 11:12 am

katbh wrote:it is truly the case if you are coming from a country with a 'reasonable' airport. So if you are flying from USA, UK, Australia etc, you will be stopped unless you can show onward travel. It does not need to be an airfare but needs to be a train fare out, a car hire showing international insurance (eg insurance for Malaysia) - but they are a bit iffy on the car hire thing sometimes. Best bet is to get an onward fare. We have been caught out before and had to pay full price for a fare on the spot. So what is a $20 fare just to be safe.
Some places like Indonesia, Vietnam etc, do not check - they just want to make sure you leave!


This is BULLSHIT. The ONLY place I have ever been asked for onward travel is Hong Kong, and even there, only once.

True, I have been flying on the return leg of a round trip ticket... but never have I been asked to show onward flight.

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10888
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Fri, 21 Jun 2013 11:15 am

katbh wrote:Some places like Indonesia, Vietnam etc, do not check - they just want to make sure you leave!


This is more CRAP. It's not the country that you are leaving who cares if you have an onward destination, it is the airline. They have to haul your sorry ass back if you can't get into the country.

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5267
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby the lynx » Fri, 21 Jun 2013 11:23 am

I think the real gist of that matter is that whether OP can get a one-way ticket in his circumstances.

Answer: Yes, after his work visa application is approved and his employer gives him the In-Principle Approval (IPA) which is also a single-entry visa by itself. OP can show that IPA when he checks into the airline with that one-way ticket.

katbh
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 598
Joined: Thu, 04 Oct 2007
Location: Singapore

Postby katbh » Fri, 21 Jun 2013 11:52 am

SMS

I have never travelled into Singapore where I have not been asked (when I do not show my IC) at check-in. The same goes for every other member of my family and numerous friends and colleagues. And we are nice friendly people from friendly countries.
It is simply standard SMS.
So in this case you are clearly wrong - or should I say 'mistaken' or 'misguided'?
Perhaps staff at check-in counters are just intimidated by your aggression.......
And here I was thinking it was the start of a great friendship!

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Fri, 21 Jun 2013 11:52 am

the lynx wrote:I think the real gist of that matter is that whether OP can get a one-way ticket in his circumstances.

Answer: Yes, after his work visa application is approved and his employer gives him the In-Principle Approval (IPA) which is also a single-entry visa by itself. OP can show that IPA when he checks into the airline with that one-way ticket.


I don't think so Lynx.

He's a Brit, he does not need a 'visa', or 'work visa application approval' to simply enter Singapore. He just, like me, flies here on a one way ticket.


They might ask you how long you're staying, or where you're heading to next. But you do not need to prove a paid-for means of exit...



p.s. Which reminds me, I should get my Act off this forum, and onto applying to get some status in this country...

Richleeson
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu, 07 Jul 2011
Location: Singapore

Postby Richleeson » Sat, 22 Jun 2013 6:46 am

Had my EP approved today! So its full steam ahead! Only took 2 days to go through! Booking a flight for the 22nd july, got my IPA and it does say it doubles as a single entry visa, but will check with the airline before i book!
Thanks for all your help!


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Relocating, Moving to Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest