Singapore Expats

Family of 4 needs help to decide where to live

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
twiceborn

Family of 4 needs help to decide where to live

Post by twiceborn » Sun, 16 Jun 2013 7:45 pm

We are a family of 4 who are moving to Singapore. Our two Children will attend OFS and initially we wanted to live close to the school as the school days are long and we don't want them to spend a lot of time on the bus. But we have been told that there is a lot of traffic in that area and few recreational areas nearby. Hence we are considering other places like Sentosa even though they need to take the school bus.

Any advise on where to live?
How long time does it take the school bus from Sentosa to OFS?
I have read that Sentosa does not have grosery stores etc.?
Are there are lot of families with children living on Sentosa?

Search By

katbh
Reporter
Reporter

Post by katbh » Sun, 16 Jun 2013 8:52 pm

Sentosa = rich expat enclave.

Hmmmmm

Hate visitin people on Sentosa - so expensive just to visit!

Two Ton Tony

Post by Two Ton Tony » Mon, 17 Jun 2013 2:24 am

Hi,

Live near OFS! Otherwise (a) your kids will have a two hour commute (my boys commute 50 minutes to a school 3.3km away) and (b) school buses PROBABLY won't pick up from Sentosa (lovely place, full of rich Singaporeans whom nobody visits).

Whoever told you Orchard area (assuming that is where the OFS campus is?) is a lousy place to live, because of noise? is probably not the sort of person you need to be taking advice about Singapore from. In short, they've not done you any favours and sent you down a dodgy path.

katbh
Reporter
Reporter

Post by katbh » Mon, 17 Jun 2013 8:13 am

Watch out though. I believe OFS's lease is up and they are moving to Tampines/Pasir Ris. You just may like to check with the school first though. Do not know if it is rumour or true.

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Mon, 17 Jun 2013 8:24 am

How old are your kids? If they are old enough to take public transport on their own do that, another option is taking them to school yourself. This then opens up the rest of Singapore (to within reason) Why on earth you'd want to live on Sentosa I don't know! It's full of stuck up rich people who only care what kind of car you drive and how expensive your house was.

You should have a look around areas on the red line on the smrt web page there is a function to search for properties by proximity to MRT station on the property section of this site.

Other than proximity to school, its very difficult to give you any advice, you haven't mentioned any information that will allow us to help you!

nutnut
nutnut

katbh
Reporter
Reporter

Post by katbh » Mon, 17 Jun 2013 8:28 am

Sentosa is like a horror film suburbia but with horror property prices for horrible houses/units

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 17 Jun 2013 8:38 am

nutnut wrote:Why on earth you'd want to live on Sentosa I don't know! It's full of stuck up rich people who only care what kind of car you drive and how expensive your house was.
Is this because "mainland Singapore" people are more focused on art, spirited values and healthy philosophical discourse? :)

katbh
Reporter
Reporter

Post by katbh » Mon, 17 Jun 2013 9:19 am

x9200 wrote:
nutnut wrote:Why on earth you'd want to live on Sentosa I don't know! It's full of stuck up rich people who only care what kind of car you drive and how expensive your house was.
Is this because "mainland Singapore" people are more focused on art, spirited values and healthy philosophical discourse? :)
Ha! X9200. Yes, not sure how the description of Sentosa differs from the descriptions of many Singaporeans now. It used not to be the case.
Remember when Singapore was friendly...it was cheap then too!

Two Ton Tony

Post by Two Ton Tony » Mon, 17 Jun 2013 10:11 am

katbh wrote:Sentosa is like a horror film suburbia but with horror property prices for horrible houses/units
Not sure if you are quoting knowledge or rumour here Katbh.

the 3 and 4 beds that are advertised/rumoured to be 15k pcm are nearer half that price. With occupancy at 30-70% there is bags of negotiation options and the condo's are - I thought - lovely. Mrs TTT disagreed so sadly we didn't take the once-in-a-lifetime option of living on a tropical resort island. I doubt prices will be this cheap in 3 years time so I consider it an opportunity thrown away (though we would have had to switched the kids school).

Couldn't comment about the people except that the family we know who had a corporate rental liked Sentosa for the biking and sports options on their doorstep, admittedly, most of SG has the sports facilities but I wouldn't bike there.

The agent explained to me that the advertised rates are so high to reinforce the sales values of the properties.

katbh
Reporter
Reporter

Post by katbh » Mon, 17 Jun 2013 11:49 am

From knowledge. It is awful. May as well live in Miami.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Mon, 17 Jun 2013 11:55 am

katbh wrote:Watch out though. I believe OFS's lease is up and they are moving to Tampines/Pasir Ris. You just may like to check with the school first though. Do not know if it is rumour or true.
Its moving to Pasir Ris Drive 3.

Not a fun commute from Sentosa ......... unless you use the family speedboat to get to Changi Ferry.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

Chantikki
Regular
Regular

Post by Chantikki » Tue, 18 Jun 2013 9:23 am

There are places advertised in Sentosa for $8k, I was tempted to move there myself, but you would definitely need a car and grocery shopping would be a pain. Sentosa is annoying to get to.

twiceborn

Post by twiceborn » Wed, 19 Jun 2013 12:17 am

Thank you all for replying,

We will stay clear of Sentosa.

My kids are 5 and 7 years old.

What to you think about Keppel bay? is that an area with families with kids?

scarbowl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by scarbowl » Wed, 19 Jun 2013 8:34 pm

katbh wrote:Watch out though. I believe OFS's lease is up and they are moving to Tampines/Pasir Ris. You just may like to check with the school first though. Do not know if it is rumour or true.
They ARE moving and have announced this. But it is at least 3 years away. Pasir Ris, by the way.