Singapore Expats

Financial/Bank Job

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
HowardHiew

Financial/Bank Job

Post by HowardHiew » Sat, 15 Jun 2013 11:23 am

I am currently work as engineer in a semiconductor company..
Thinking of changing job field to finance or bank sector, I holding mechanical degree from local U..

Any recommendation on what role is suitable?

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Sat, 15 Jun 2013 1:30 pm

The only thing that comes to mind is physical security, premise management and data centers. None of which pay very well, even in a bank.

As a mechanical engineer, look for mechanical engineer jobs. Banks are not the right place to look, maybe you should consider Oil & Gas, or Shipping?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Financial/Bank Job

Post by JR8 » Sat, 15 Jun 2013 2:17 pm

HowardHiew wrote:I am currently work as engineer in a semiconductor company..
Thinking of changing job field to finance or bank sector, I holding mechanical degree from local U..

Any recommendation on what role is suitable?
Why do you want to work in Finance/Banking, are you SGn, and what age are you?

These are all important to clarify, before any more meaningful discussion can happen.

HowardHiew

Post by HowardHiew » Sun, 16 Jun 2013 10:04 am

I am Malaysian PR, currently 29 years old..
Current job nature always needs to pick up call at midnight, I dun wish to live on this way at my older age..

After these few years study and work in singapore, feel singapore move towards service and finance sector..

So I have a thought to change to this sector..

Thanks for your precious feedback..

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 16 Jun 2013 2:43 pm

HowardHiew wrote:I am Malaysian PR, currently 29 years old..
Current job nature always needs to pick up call at midnight, I dun wish to live on this way at my older age..

After these few years study and work in singapore, feel singapore move towards service and finance sector..

Back when I started out you might have had a shot (if you were creative about the route), but wanting to x-over to banking at 29 as an engineer, I'll be brutally honest and say that's going to be a tough one. It's akin to deciding you want to be a doctor, or similar.

With distance learning being so prevalent these days getting some accountancy/finance education is way easier than it used to be. So naturally that's who gets hired (when a bank hires, it usually needs a person to be adding value from week one, rather than a person who needs educating on the job).

Banking might appear glamorous to some but it is not, it is brutal and hideously competitive. There were plenty of times I was doing 80hr weeks (7*12) AND routinely being called at home at 6am, AND midnight. Be careful what you wish for :) I very nearly got refused a relo back from Asia first time I was here as I was 25 and so 'too old to have any hunger'. Take that as a warning.

If there is any way in for you, it might begin via working as 'temporary staff' (via an agency, paid an hourly rate). That's if such a position exists within Singapore (it does in Europe, I'm not sure about SG). Basically you're a 'body' paid hourly to do mundane work (reconciliations etc). Work your nuts off at that for a year, excel at it, and then you might get a look-in to something permanent. THEN you've got your foot in the door...

Good luck!

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 16 Jun 2013 3:59 pm

Sounds like a case of "grass is green on the other side". Banking and finance jobs come in all kinds and the best ones you will find it hard to get a breakthrough. The easier ones like selling credit cards etc you won't like them.
But you can start off that way if you really want to get into it.

I would personally value an engineer in semiconductor industry more than a banker who is into retail banking or selling cards etc.

My suggestion would be to acquire better skills that are more aligned to your previous experience. Best people who can give you advise are this who were working with you earlier and now have left for greener pastures. If no one has done that then look at your class mates see what they are doing.

I have changed careers in the past something as dramatic as you are considering. I moved from working in call centers for 4 years to IT. But IT is something you can learn skills and then jump and was very fruitful indeed.

Engineering to banking I am not so sure whether its even worth it.

Aragorn2000
Regular
Regular

Post by Aragorn2000 » Sun, 16 Jun 2013 8:14 pm

JR8 wrote: I very nearly got refused a relo back from Asia first time I was here as I was 25 and so 'too old to have any hunger'. Take that as a warning.
Good luck!
How do you mean?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 16 Jun 2013 9:20 pm

Aragorn2000 wrote:
JR8 wrote: I very nearly got refused a relo back from Asia first time I was here as I was 25 and so 'too old to have any hunger'. Take that as a warning.
Good luck!
How do you mean?
The bank relo'd me to Asia. Then a couple of years later when my job was done, and some cuts were being made, they refused to repatriate me home.

Time running out here, company wash their hands of it. Nice, esp. after 10 years loyal work for them. (That said I did 'get my own back on them' eventually).

Fair enough, that's life, but I later learned that my ex-boss justified it by saying older staff have lost their hunger, his exact words were 'I don't want him, I want a young thruster'. I was 25. ... But you get to grow a thick skin, you have to.

Hehehe....

(I retired at 40: He was still working at 60 = I win I reckon Bwahahaha!)

Aragorn2000
Regular
Regular

Post by Aragorn2000 » Sun, 16 Jun 2013 10:06 pm

same old tricks from the bosses. Shark faces that are covered with diplomatic smiles.

You'd worked for the bank since 15? !!!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 16 Jun 2013 10:09 pm

Aragorn2000 wrote:same old tricks from the bosses. Shark faces that are covered with diplomatic smiles.

Then a couple of years later when my job was done, and some cuts were being made, they refused to repatriate me home.

Time running out here, company wash their hands of it. Nice, esp. after 10 years loyal work for them.
He came when he was 25, all total gave them 10 years. He didn't say how long he was here before he left them (granted a couple usually mean 2 but it could have bee 3 to 5 I reckon.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 16 Jun 2013 10:20 pm

Aragorn2000 wrote:same old tricks from the bosses. Shark faces that are covered with diplomatic smiles.

Hehehe... indeed. So you learn to take them for the ride they're taking you're on (when you can), but know you're reaping the whirlwind, as it is going to come back on you, and with a vengeance (with egos like that at play)..

p.s. Sorry was rounding on the numbers. When I said 10 years, it was 8. I started on the futures floor at 19/20 (or something like that). An oldster breaking into a kids game. OLD!!
IIRC...
I don't know, I don't freakin care any more. But I do still have the fond memories of breaking something I should never have been in in the first place.

Thank you Eddie Murphy, for the stellar inspiration: I did it man :-D

Michael X
Regular
Regular

Post by Michael X » Thu, 27 Jun 2013 1:48 pm

HowardHiew wrote:I am Malaysian PR, currently 29 years old..

Working in banking or finance will not be any less demanding in terms of hours worked. In fact, you should probably expect more, especially if you are starting from the bottom, a lowly analyst. Phone calls and work assignment at midnight are the norm.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 27 Jun 2013 2:13 pm

Michael X wrote:
HowardHiew wrote:I am ...

OP never followed up from his OP.

Apparently no hunger.

29 years old.

Absolutely no chance.