Smog

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Post Reply
User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6865
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011 1:35 pm
Location: Once more unto the breach

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 25 Jun 2013 10:11 am

the lynx wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Also good for steampunk clubs! :wink:
Singapore has steampunk clubs? I really can't imagine.
Yes.

Final Fantasy 9, The Legend of Korra, Guild Wars, and many manga/anime definitely popularised it here. Just visit one of STGCC events and you will see cosplayers doing some steampunk pieces.
But an actual permanent club that's always open at night with industrial/techno/appropriate genre music? They have a few of them in places like San Francisco, but wouldn't expect them here.

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5274
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 6:29 pm
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 25 Jun 2013 10:39 am

zzm9980 wrote:
the lynx wrote:
zzm9980 wrote: Singapore has steampunk clubs? I really can't imagine.
Yes.

Final Fantasy 9, The Legend of Korra, Guild Wars, and many manga/anime definitely popularised it here. Just visit one of STGCC events and you will see cosplayers doing some steampunk pieces.
But an actual permanent club that's always open at night with industrial/techno/appropriate genre music? They have a few of them in places like San Francisco, but wouldn't expect them here.
I have yet to find a club with that theme here. But if you do, tell me!

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16516
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:43 pm
Location: K. Puki Manis

Post by JR8 » Tue, 25 Jun 2013 12:29 pm

http://therealsingapore.com/content/sin ... -pollution

Suggests 'AQI' is a better measure.

But a reader comment is -
----------------------------------------------------
'The primary difference between the PSI and AQI is that AQI detects 2 additional pollutants: particulate matter smaller than 2.5 micrometers and ozone concentrations. Ozone doesn't form very well in tropical and humid climates and hence won't actually be important for a country like Singapore, where humidity levels are high. You'll receive a lower AQI reading if you use Ozone as a determinant in Singapore and that's not really useful for whoever's in charge. However, if you want to know what the PM2.5 concentrations are, it's right there in the NEA website below the PSI reading. You can cross check that with AQI scales if you really want to look deeper into this. So yeah, all the relevant info is right there for you.

http://www.nea.gov.sg/psi/
http://www.epa.gov/international/public ... ll-aqi.pdf
(Coming from a guy that did a bit of googling on the internet).'


--------------------------------------------------------

x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9862
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 4:06 pm
Location: Singapore

Post by x9200 » Wed, 26 Jun 2013 12:59 pm

http://app2.nea.gov.sg/anti-pollution-r ... t-24-hours

3h PSI reading for the whole Singapore is 64 at 12 and hourly readings (assumed) for any location in passed 12h do not exceed 62. Any volunteers to explain this mysterious phenomena?

kookaburrah
Regular
Regular
Posts: 141
Joined: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 12:28 am
Location: SG

Post by kookaburrah » Wed, 26 Jun 2013 4:44 pm

I had to google "steampunk". For the life of me, can't quite tell what it is, let alone guess what would be the appropriate soundtrack to go with it.

zzm9980 wrote:
the lynx wrote:
zzm9980 wrote: Singapore has steampunk clubs? I really can't imagine.
Yes.

Final Fantasy 9, The Legend of Korra, Guild Wars, and many manga/anime definitely popularised it here. Just visit one of STGCC events and you will see cosplayers doing some steampunk pieces.
But an actual permanent club that's always open at night with industrial/techno/appropriate genre music? They have a few of them in places like San Francisco, but wouldn't expect them here.

User avatar
PNGMK
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8646
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 9:06 pm
Answers: 1
Location: Sinkapore

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 26 Jun 2013 4:51 pm

kookaburrah wrote:I had to google "steampunk". For the life of me, can't quite tell what it is, let alone guess what would be the appropriate soundtrack to go with it.

zzm9980 wrote:
the lynx wrote: Yes.

Final Fantasy 9, The Legend of Korra, Guild Wars, and many manga/anime definitely popularised it here. Just visit one of STGCC events and you will see cosplayers doing some steampunk pieces.
But an actual permanent club that's always open at night with industrial/techno/appropriate genre music? They have a few of them in places like San Francisco, but wouldn't expect them here.
I'm not familiar with steampunk music - only thr artifacts like this;

Image

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6865
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011 1:35 pm
Location: Once more unto the breach

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 26 Jun 2013 5:46 pm

kookaburrah wrote:I had to google "steampunk". For the life of me, can't quite tell what it is, let alone guess what would be the appropriate soundtrack to go with it.

zzm9980 wrote:
the lynx wrote: Yes.

Final Fantasy 9, The Legend of Korra, Guild Wars, and many manga/anime definitely popularised it here. Just visit one of STGCC events and you will see cosplayers doing some steampunk pieces.
But an actual permanent club that's always open at night with industrial/techno/appropriate genre music? They have a few of them in places like San Francisco, but wouldn't expect them here.
Yeah it's a niche thing, not even a niche I'm into.

For soundtrack, mid 90s Front 242 is ideal. Maybe some KMFDM, Skinny Puppy, or Tear Garden from the same era.

Actually this exact song comes to mind:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ym5SyuxgQ-o

I may or may not have been a major fan when I was quite young.

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6865
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011 1:35 pm
Location: Once more unto the breach

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 26 Jun 2013 5:54 pm

PNGMK wrote: I'm not familiar with steampunk music - only thr artifacts like this;
I don't believe there is steampunk music per say, just the kind of club with music where you might see people dressed in steampunk coming out. I'm not into steampunk, but I've been at clubs and venues where steam punk people also have been. Any of these nights at these listed places around San Francisco would be a good start:
http://www.sfgothic.net/clubs.html

x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9862
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 4:06 pm
Location: Singapore

Post by x9200 » Wed, 26 Jun 2013 7:14 pm

Is it what visually inspired the movies like Wild Wild West?

Image

http://youtu.be/mLkSl0dKOsI

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6865
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011 1:35 pm
Location: Once more unto the breach

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 26 Jun 2013 7:54 pm

It's the same theme, yes.

User avatar
Brah
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1965
Joined: Sat, 18 Dec 2010 2:59 pm

Post by Brah » Thu, 27 Jun 2013 8:26 pm

According to local newspapers today, the haze (it's not smog, right?) is expected to continue.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39553
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 10
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 27 Jun 2013 9:16 pm

It was starting to build up late this afternoon in certain areas.

Yeah, it's haze not smog.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16516
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:43 pm
Location: K. Puki Manis

Post by JR8 » Thu, 27 Jun 2013 10:18 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Yeah, it's haze not smog.

And the difference is?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39553
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 10
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 27 Jun 2013 10:51 pm

Photochemical toxicity and usually a temperature inversion layer trapping the "haze' and unburned hydrocarbon byproducts resulting in the photochemical reaction. Generally smog is a yellowish/browish colour. As I'm not a chemist I cannot explain how it does it, but I've had to live with it before and it makes what was here a skate in the park.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16516
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:43 pm
Location: K. Puki Manis

Post by JR8 » Thu, 27 Jun 2013 11:47 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Photochemical toxicity and usually a temperature inversion layer trapping the "haze' and unburned hydrocarbon byproducts resulting in the photochemical reaction. Generally smog is a yellowish/browish colour. As I'm not a chemist I cannot explain how it does it, but I've had to live with it before and it makes what was here a skate in the park.
Purple haze man....! [Finally I got it]

PURPLE HAZE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lq59MO40gGY

Post Reply

Return to “Staying, Living in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests