Singapore Expats

Comapny website

Discuss your views about Singapore business & economy, current policies & issues, starting a business in Singapore.
Jean888

Comapny website

Post by Jean888 » Fri, 14 Jun 2013 10:49 am

Hi guys,

In Singapore, is it okay or against the law to create a lottery game for our suscribers in a online dealing website ?

Thanks,

Regards

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Fri, 14 Jun 2013 1:59 pm

I guess that depends on whether your subscribers would deal with real money, or just play with their loyalty points or other non-monetary stuff.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Sun, 21 Jul 2013 6:48 pm

where is your company based? where is your domain host based? how and where are the winnings redeemed?

one of my interests in the late 90s was in instituting games (okay, gambling) through the internet, but i have divested myself of all such stakes in a popular gaming website a few years ago when the US of A started taking a big interest in the industry...

in singapore, the law is unclear at the moment if internet gambling is illegal, but after a fierce debate with my lawyer, we both came to the conclusion that it is entirely possible for the AGC to apply the common gaming house act to internet gambling.

with time and the smarts of government goons, it is also guaranteed that internet gambling will be eventually curbed or at least strictly controlled, and the definitions expanded (gaming, lottery ticket, lottery, place, etc).

i would recommend if you do not do this if you wish to run a long term legitimate company that conducts business in singapore. otherwise, make sure your entire model is properly structured and financed.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Comapny website

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 22 Jul 2013 10:03 am

Jean888 wrote:Hi guys,

In Singapore, is it okay or against the law to create a lottery game for our suscribers in a online dealing website ?

Thanks,

Regards
From what I know .. There is a little exception, called 'for private circulation' and with that, you can run lucky draw - don't say lottery ..

If the amount is small, or the prize are low .. then it should be ok, again, as long as you declare it is for private circulation ONLY !

And if the amount is meant to grow/snowball, then you could be on the edge of breaking many laws.. If not, you are fine .

tzjraymond

Post by tzjraymond » Wed, 11 Sep 2013 6:51 pm

most likely its not legal

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 11 Sep 2013 9:39 pm

tzjraymond wrote:most likely its not legal
Can you quote your source? Or were you just trying to get five posts in order to activate your PM function? :roll:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers