Singapore Expats

Enough with the begging already

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Thu, 13 Jun 2013 10:48 am

Ah, the charity I was paid employee for client's mainly just tried to beat me up and tell me to eff off. The charity I volunteered with for years target recipients mainly just ate my furniture and pissed on my carpet. What ya gonna do?

The only time I resented it was a location where the trailing spouses had to join a spouse assoc and they put us to work under their name. Company does voluntary work without actually making it's employees do it. Nice. Sometimes I had to wear a badge with my husband's name on.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 13 Jun 2013 10:56 am

Hannieroo wrote:Sometimes I had to wear a badge with my husband's name on.
Nice, sounds like being 'whored-out', same as the United Way shtick I described... :roll: :cry:

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Thu, 13 Jun 2013 11:10 am

If it's begrudged then it's pointless. My husband told me I wasn't allowed to go anymore after I threatened to write fxxk off on my badge.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 13 Jun 2013 11:31 am

Hannieroo wrote:If it's begrudged then it's pointless. My husband told me I wasn't allowed to go anymore after I threatened to write fxxk off on my badge.
Thanks for the genuine lol! :lol:

Yes quite, it's pointless for the giver, but the kudos-receiver (another entity) doesn't care what you think. That is the disconnection.

When I was told I had to give 20% of my annual bonus to United Way (a hideous leftie charity front who use 'their' donations for hideous leftie influence (refer/example: policy re: Boys Scouts of America and homosexuality c1998-2003).

When I floated the idea that I resented supporting such an organisation on ideological grounds, it was made pretty clear to me that in that case I'd forfeit any bonus at all. Mandatory charity.

Each department had fund-raising goals. There was a chart up on the wall. The heads of department competed to out-philanthropise each other. I wouldn't be surprised (at all) if their bonuses were geared to how much their serfs gave to United Way. That's how ridiculous it all was...

So, that's the Wall Street corporate version of '''charity''' that I have experienced.

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Thu, 13 Jun 2013 11:49 am

Dude, that would chap my balls. The united way did wonderful work in Houston after Katrina but if you don't agree with a charity you shouldn't have to contribute. It's ideologically unsound.

I contribute to animal charities and the children's hospital that saved the lives of both of my friend's children. And that's it apart from the coppers my 5 year old puts in store collection boxes.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 13 Jun 2013 12:36 pm

Hannieroo wrote:Dude, that would chap my balls. The united way did wonderful work in Houston after Katrina but if you don't agree with a charity you shouldn't have to contribute. It's ideologically unsound.

I contribute to animal charities and the children's hospital that saved the lives of both of my friend's children. And that's it apart from the coppers my 5 year old puts in store collection boxes.

Oh are United Way a charity in themselves?

Back at that time they seemed to be a fundraising/political front/channel for charities.

So Bank #X would donate $xm to United Way, rather than to 100 charities. And UW would then allocate said fund to their favoured causes, as they saw fit.

So you can see how UW got major political influence.

Back at that time, I had to donate say $5k (quite a lot back then, maybe a months pay) via UW, and you had a list of say 300 'approved' charities to choose from.

UW had just stopped supporting Boy Scouts of America since the latter would not allow openly gay scout-masters (or what ever). But BSoA was still an option on the outdated voting material I received. So, feck it, that's who I nominated to receive my ''''donation'''.

Who freaking cares. I was forced to do this against my will, 'or else', so feck you all.

Noble charity eh? lol... :lol:

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Thu, 13 Jun 2013 12:59 pm

I don't know. I know that it was a big presence in the dome but actual charity or overseer I don't know.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 13 Jun 2013 1:10 pm

I work as a non-registered volunteer for one of the charity organisations here for the disabled and whenever I try to engage people around here to help out in events or some heavy routine work on ad hoc basis,

"Will our names be listed out in their bulletins or something?"

"Will we get acknowledgement certificates for this?"

"...or anything in black and white?"

"Will this (event) be covered by media?"

And of course, if I say that this is just a small role to contribute for the manpower, no one wants to do it.

FFS, if I want that effing superficial acknowledgement, I'd have made myself a registered volunteer just to see my pathetic name somewhere.

That is not volunteerism! That's publicity, you media-whores!

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Thu, 13 Jun 2013 1:13 pm

How old are they? 6?

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 13 Jun 2013 1:57 pm

Hannieroo wrote:How old are they? 6?
My wife turned down a certificate of 'volunteerism' at some local thing a few years ago... they were astounded.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 13 Jun 2013 7:11 pm

Hannieroo wrote:I don't know. I know that it was a big presence in the dome but actual charity or overseer I don't know.
'The dome'? - sounds very Mad Max/Grace Jones.

p.s. Yes certificates hehehe... I can see it.
I don't think most SGns have reached the philanthropy zone yet, it's still, take take, grab grab some more. (hence the endless TV ad campaigns telling them to be more courteous/kind and so on... )

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Thu, 13 Jun 2013 7:37 pm

I cannot agree, I've been out and about the last few days and have received such kindness from people that here actually looks better than the UK.

Reliant astrodome. It's where the majority of the buses from New Orleans ended up.

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Thu, 13 Jun 2013 8:54 pm

Hannieroo wrote:Dude, that would chap my balls.
You have balls?

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Thu, 13 Jun 2013 8:58 pm

JR8 wrote:I don't think most SGns have reached the philanthropy zone yet, it's still, take take, grab grab some more...
Hannieroo wrote:I cannot agree, I've been out and about the last few days and have received such kindness from people that here actually looks better than the UK.
While I agree with both, the masses make one feel the former, but I know of some very selfless people here who regularly do things like missionaries in places like Sri Lanka, and that is how they use their personal leave.

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Thu, 13 Jun 2013 10:51 pm

Brah wrote:
Hannieroo wrote:Dude, that would chap my balls.
You have balls?
More than most.

I don't even mean philanthropy so much as kindness and a complete lack iof jobs worth. I'd have got nowhere in the UK today.