Singapore Expats

Transition between Left Hand Drive to Right Hand Drive

Have your burning questions answered relating to buying and selling cars and other vehicles.
Dave954

Transition between Left Hand Drive to Right Hand Drive

Post by Dave954 » Mon, 10 Jun 2013 12:56 am

Hello All,

Just curious...how hard was it to adapt to driving on the other side of the road for expats from Left Hand Drive countries?

David

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: Transition between Left Hand Drive to Right Hand Drive

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 10 Jun 2013 2:27 am

Dave954 wrote:Hello All,

Just curious...how hard was it to adapt to driving on the other side of the road for expats from Left Hand Drive countries?

David
It's not really hard. The most dangerous thing is if you are in the right lane of a one way street, your tendency will be to turn into the right lanes on the cross street, which puts you into oncoming traffic. Right turns = USA left turns.

And for about two years you will confuse the turn signals and wipers which are usually opposite that of USA cars.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 10 Jun 2013 7:27 am

It's not hard. If you do it first time just follow the cars in front of you and soon (1h or so) it should be ok. Probably the most difficult part is what SE mentioned - all the switches and such, and to add, the manual gear shift and hand brake.
Later, back to a country with "your" side driving it needs like 20min for the first few times and later it all get pretty transparent.

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Mon, 10 Jun 2013 8:18 am

For an even greater challenge you should try a RHD car in a LHD country! it is fine when there are lots of other cars on the road, the problem starts when you first turn out onto an empty road. In France I drove maybe 2 or 3 miles on the wrong side of a very windy mountain road you should have seen the faces of the occupants in an oncoming french car as we both came around a blind corner!

LOL that was a big wake up call, stick a big post-it-note on the dash saying CENTER LINE ON THE RIGHT! after a week you get used to it.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Mon, 10 Jun 2013 8:27 am

QRM wrote:
LOL that was a big wake up call, stick a big post-it-note on the dash saying CENTER LINE ON THE RIGHT! after a week you get used to it.
Oh wow. That's actually a very good idea.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 10 Jun 2013 8:40 am

In Australia, on the Great Ocean Road, I remember seeing signs like this one:

particularly at the exits of the carparks.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Re: Transition between Left Hand Drive to Right Hand Drive

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 10 Jun 2013 9:07 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
And for about two years you will confuse the turn signals and wipers which are usually opposite that of USA cars.
This, 1000 times over.

Also, there are no turns on red here unless there is a sign specifically permitting it or a dedicated lane. Unlike most of the US.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 10 Jun 2013 9:51 am

A reminder you said ??

And you can do like the following ..

Seen in a Comfort Taxi - Artificial Speed Governor .... Yellow Warning, Red Danger .. :D maybe the driver got copped for speeding and decided to become wiser ..

PS: if you do bring in a LHD car, you don't have to worry much on driving on the wrong side .. most of the roads are single direction and rarely you have to be in a dual carriage way road ..

Strong Eagle: as it is for RHD cars, VW and Porsche have the wiper and Signals transposed vs Japanese cars ... not sure of other European Cars ..

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Mon, 10 Jun 2013 9:58 am

ecureilx wrote:A reminder you said ??

And you can do like the following ..

Seen in a Comfort Taxi - Artificial Speed Governor .... Yellow Warning, Red Danger .. :D maybe the driver got copped for speeding and decided to become wiser ..

PS: if you do bring in a LHD car, you don't have to worry much on driving on the wrong side .. most of the roads are single direction and rarely you have to be in a dual carriage way road ..

Strong Eagle: as it is for RHD cars, VW and Porsche have the wiper and Signals transposed vs Japanese cars ... not sure of other European Cars ..
A reminder for which side to drive NOT speed.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 10 Jun 2013 10:13 am

It's similar to being a Brit and hiring a car in the US or continental Europe. You do get used to it quite quickly, and you need to (and will) stay alert for the first week or two.

You also need to be wise to local idiosyncrasies, like 'turning lanes' at junctions, found in parts of the US.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Mon, 10 Jun 2013 11:02 am

JR8 wrote:It's similar to being a Brit and hiring a car in the US or continental Europe. You do get used to it quite quickly, and you need to (and will) stay alert for the first week or two.

You also need to be wise to local idiosyncrasies, like 'turning lanes' at junctions, found in parts of the US.
or hook turns? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hook_turn

Daxiuyi

Post by Daxiuyi » Mon, 10 Jun 2013 2:44 pm

To the OP, it's not as difficult as you think. When I moved from Australia to the US I had to switch RHD to LHD, and I was really nervous. But in reality it's not that bad. You're doing the exact same things, just looking the opposite way/using the opposite hand.

Agree you'll probably switch the windscreen wipers on when you want to indicate a couple of times, but it's not that bad. If you're used to driving manual, the gear shift pattern (e.g. Reverse gear) is reoriented, so it suits your 'other' hand anyway.

Of course if you drive a European car, they don't bother changing the above for their RHD markets, so no adjustment there necessary :wink:

Follow everyone else for a bit, and in a week or so you'll get the hang of it...

Hidy Ho
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Hidy Ho » Mon, 10 Jun 2013 3:00 pm

It's the turns that gets me and if there are any roundabouts (which I haven't seen in SG), then I'm doomed!!!

Never drove a manual shift car so don't know how hard it's to shift with a left hand. I think the clutch pedal and the shifting gears are still in same place though.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 10 Jun 2013 3:09 pm

Yeah, those are the same but it only take a little while to sort out shifting with the left hand. I've owned several manual cars here including the Kia I'm currently driving. The only time I've ever had a problem with as a previous poster mentioned, late at night when little traffic on the roads you tend to forget. Or if I get a little bit pie faced (don't drink and drive anymore) I go get in the wrong side and then feel rather stupid, especially if someone was with me. Hopefully it would be a lady then I could alway pawn it off as being gentlemenly and opening her door. :oops:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 10 Jun 2013 4:13 pm

Hidy Ho wrote:It's the turns that gets me and if there are any roundabouts (which I haven't seen in SG), then I'm doomed!!!
There is one about 300m west of Parkway Parade where Marine Parade Road meets Amber Rd (Haig Rd).

That's one more minor annoyance for the OP: Roads in Singapore like to change names. A lot. Why Haig Rd must turn into Amber Rd for about 200m before it ends is beyond me. Or, Sims Way -> Mountbaten Rd -> East Coast Rd -> Upper East Coast Rd. It's all the same damn road. Why is one section "Upper" anyway? It doesn't go up a hill, and it isn't any farther north than the section immediately to its west without the title. Why the hate? The first time I was looking for it, I stupidly assumed when I was on East Coast Rd, Upper East Coast Rd must be to the North.