Singapore Expats

Indians are in the news AGAIN!

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Indians are in the news AGAIN!

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 06 Jun 2013 8:34 pm

WD40 it looks like your countrymen are at it again.

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/us-tourist-gan ... 09030.html
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 06 Jun 2013 9:32 pm

Doesn't surprise me :(

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Post by morenangpinay » Fri, 07 Jun 2013 10:12 am

id be scared to hitchhike anywhere.

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Fri, 07 Jun 2013 10:49 am

I may sound as a racist, but I wonder, why no other ethnicity and race gets so much disdain compared to Indians?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 07 Jun 2013 11:54 am

I don't hitch-hike anywhere, even in my home country.

30-odd YO single woman, hitching in a lorry, at night, in Manali... stoner-heaven.

I'm sorry for her, but WTH was she thinking?

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Fri, 07 Jun 2013 12:15 pm

JR8 wrote:I don't hitch-hike anywhere, even in my home country.
JR8, I really (!!!) doubt somebody will want to rape you anyway. :D

proxymoron
Regular
Regular

Post by proxymoron » Fri, 07 Jun 2013 12:20 pm

As a fellow Indian, I am also not surprised by this. Probably it was good that the hitchhiker was a girl, if she was a..'he', they would have robbed him, killed him and dumped his body in some jungle in a remote corner in India.

In India, hitchhikers are either easy pray for robbers OR robbers them self.
Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Fri, 07 Jun 2013 12:27 pm

Don't people ever learn that it is never a good idea to hitch-hike? Especially after the rape scare erupted in India...

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 07 Jun 2013 7:51 pm

the lynx wrote:Don't people ever learn that it is never a good idea to hitch-hike? Especially after the rape scare erupted in India...
The kinds of American women that hitch hike between yoga resorts in India? Let's just say that type probably isn't known for their common sense. These are the same types of people that go hiking along the Iraqi-Irani border and wipe up in a Tehran prison :)

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 07 Jun 2013 9:17 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
the lynx wrote:Don't people ever learn that it is never a good idea to hitch-hike? Especially after the rape scare erupted in India...
The kinds of American women that hitch hike between yoga resorts in India? Let's just say that type probably isn't known for their common sense. These are the same types of people that go hiking along the Iraqi-Irani border and wipe up in a Tehran prison :)
To me, I'm not sure if it's naivete or these people are just too gung-ho about the threats.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 07 Jun 2013 11:22 pm

nakatago wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:
To me, I'm not sure if it's naivete or these people are just too gung-ho about the threats.
Definitely naiveté in the hikers' case.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 09 Jun 2013 1:24 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
nakatago wrote:
zzm9980 wrote: The kinds of American women that hitch hike between yoga resorts in India? Let's just say that type probably isn't known for their common sense. These are the same types of people that go hiking along the Iraqi-Irani border and wipe up in a Tehran prison :)
Definitely naiveté in the hikers' case.
and if you see the show 'banged up abroad' .. quite a lot of the victims were possibly because they wanted to be there .. is what I feel.

Like the fellow who went to Mindanao and thinking nobody will kidnap a harmless "WHITE" guy .. and another who was kidnapped by the Colombian Anti-govt group

They all have the same story "why would anybody want to kidnap a harmless white guy ?? " :)

They just forget that being harmless and penniless doesn't remove the fact they are still foreigner ..

scarbowl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by scarbowl » Mon, 10 Jun 2013 4:17 pm

Sergei82 wrote:I may sound as a racist, but I wonder, why no other ethnicity and race gets so much disdain compared to Indians?
Muslims get a bad rap most places. In Europe it's the Gypsies. Jews have long been persecuted. I'm sure that anywhere you live you'll find a group that is maligned. There are a LOT of Indians in the world, right?

Yes, it does sound racist and it is racist if you think Indians are really different in this way than Chinese, Saudis, Malaysians, Indonesians, and the like.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 30 Jul 2013 3:35 pm

Wow, who would have thought? Not WD40 I'm guessing :p

http://blogs.wsj.com/indiarealtime/2013 ... od=WSJBlog
Election candidates convicted of or facing charges of crimes such as rape, murder and attempted murder are almost twice as likely to be elected in India as those with clean records, according to data released Monday by the Association of Democratic Reforms and National Election Watch.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 30 Jul 2013 3:47 pm

zzm9980 wrote:Wow, who would have thought? Not WD40 I'm guessing :p

http://blogs.wsj.com/indiarealtime/2013 ... od=WSJBlog
Election candidates convicted of or facing charges of crimes such as rape, murder and attempted murder are almost twice as likely to be elected in India as those with clean records, according to data released Monday by the Association of Democratic Reforms and National Election Watch.
Manly macho men?
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."