Singapore Expats

Singapore Flyer placed under receivership

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Singapore Flyer placed under receivership

Post by Mi Amigo » Thu, 06 Jun 2013 1:33 pm

http://sbr.com.sg/hotels-tourism/exclus ... went-wrong

"London Eye is UK’s number one visitor attraction. So there is no reason why Singapore Flyer cannot be successful as well. After all, it beats the London Eye in the size department by more than ninety feet!"

There you have it - the one in Singapore is bigger, therefore it must be capable of more success than the one in London. Good grief. :roll: Never mind the fact that the London Eye gives you a view over 1000+ years of history, whereas the Singapore Flyer until recently largely surveyed a building site (and now looks up to Marina Bling Sands, with its 'better' views).
Be careful what you wish for

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 06 Jun 2013 2:12 pm

They've never figured out that it's not what you got, but how you use it. :roll:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Thu, 06 Jun 2013 2:25 pm

Size is not the only thing that matters. It also depends on how you use it :D

The main problems are that it is quite pricey, and that within a stone's throw, there are several better (and cheaper) viewpoints, such as MBS, Swissotel bar, Level 33, to name just a few. And that it is not high enough, so that the view in some directions is blocked by higher skyscrapers.

And well, the whole thing about the lack of history... ;)

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Thu, 06 Jun 2013 2:28 pm

So what do you think should happen to it now? Can you imagine Singapore without it?

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 06 Jun 2013 2:36 pm

Sergei82 wrote:So what do you think should happen to it now? Can you imagine Singapore without it?
It'll be sold off, disassembled and reappear in some god forsaken inland China city I imagine.

Yes I can imagine Singapore without it - the MBS is a more unique landmark than just another ferris wheel.

nakatago

Re: Singapore Flyer placed under receivership

Post by nakatago » Thu, 06 Jun 2013 3:16 pm

Mi Amigo wrote:http://sbr.com.sg/hotels-tourism/exclus ... went-wrong

"London Eye is UK’s number one visitor attraction. So there is no reason why Singapore Flyer cannot be successful as well. After all, it beats the London Eye in the size department by more than ninety feet!"

There you have it - the one in Singapore is bigger, therefore it must be capable of more success than the one in London. Good grief. :roll: Never mind the fact that the London Eye gives you a view over 1000+ years of history, whereas the Singapore Flyer until recently largely surveyed a building site (and now looks up to Marina Bling Sands, with its 'better' views).
There it is again. The world's BIGGEST observation wheel. The superlative this, the superlative that.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Thu, 06 Jun 2013 3:19 pm

As a piece of engineering (like many construction projects here), I think it is impressive. Apart that is from the lack of backup systems which it first opened, leading to that embarrassing incident with people being stranded for hours. But hey, they saved a few bucks on the budget. :roll: Can you imagine the meetings after that... "Quick - let's figure out who else we can blame for this..."

I remember watching it being built over serveral months from the vantage point of our condo at the time, which overlooked the site. An interesting process. But it just lacked something for me. I loved my trip on the London Eye years ago, but somehow we've never quite got round to doing the Singapore Flyer. We even had some free tickets once but ended up giving them away.

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Thu, 06 Jun 2013 3:23 pm

nakatago wrote:There it is again. The world's BIGGEST observation wheel. The superlative this, the superlative that.
Yes, it's official - we are NUMBER ONE in the list of vacuous superlatives. :twisted:

The one that always makes me chuckle is the "world's biggest fountain" I remember the first time we went past it with our girls, and they were like "Is THAT IT???" And when we passed it again later on our way home, they'd switched it off. :lol:

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 06 Jun 2013 3:30 pm

Mi Amigo wrote:
nakatago wrote:There it is again. The world's BIGGEST observation wheel. The superlative this, the superlative that.
Yes, it's official - we are NUMBER ONE in the list of vacuous superlatives. :twisted:

The one that always makes me chuckle is the "world's biggest fountain" I remember the first time we went past it with our girls, and they were like "Is THAT IT???" And when we passed it again later on our way home, they'd switched it off. :lol:
It's like school. There's that one kid who has the highest grades, the most number of extra-curricular activities but absolutely lacks any smarts.

They're after the metric, never mind the quality as long as they're number one and the mostest!
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Thu, 06 Jun 2013 4:17 pm

The location isn't the best. People obviously aren't prepared to travel just to use the flyer......

And, I agree, the views are nothing special from it.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 06 Jun 2013 6:22 pm

BillyB wrote:

The location isn't the best. People obviously aren't prepared to travel just to use the flyer......

Well, that's most of Singapore. I can't think of a lot of places with significantly better views in Singapore, except maybe 1Altitude on top of Raffles Place. It is still a bit out of the way for tourists though.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 06 Jun 2013 7:58 pm

Sad to see it go. I would say it was worth it considering the price. At the ticket booth it costs $29 but if you go through a particular agent you get it for $20. Thats really cheap man. I checked the prices for the London Eye on its website and it is 17.28 Pounds, quite expensive!

The marina skypark costs $25. I have done both, the flyer and the skypark but given a choice. Given a choice I will choose the flyer over the skypark.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 06 Jun 2013 9:02 pm

WD40, it's not going anywhere, nor is it closing, but it will be managed be the receivers to see if they can turn it around by better management.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Thu, 06 Jun 2013 9:49 pm

BillyB wrote:

That it's in the middle of nowhere probably doesn't help either. There's no other reason to be in that area.

I noticed the other day that the bus route now goes by it when before it turned on Stamford in front of the MBS bridge, perhaps to increase traffic flow.

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Thu, 06 Jun 2013 9:53 pm

Wd40 wrote:Sad to see it go. I would say it was worth it considering the price. At the ticket booth it costs $29 but if you go through a particular agent you get it for $20. Thats really cheap man. I checked the prices for the London Eye on its website and it is 17.28 Pounds, quite expensive!

The marina skypark costs $25. I have done both, the flyer and the skypark but given a choice. Given a choice I will choose the flyer over the skypark.
And therein lies the problem - both cost about twice what I'd probably pay to go there, and I'm sure I'm not alone in that.