Singapore Expats

Singapore PR/Citizenship - Approval Chances

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
singapore4life

Singapore PR/Citizenship - Approval Chances

Post by singapore4life » Tue, 04 Jun 2013 11:32 pm

Hi,

I have been following this forum for a while and really appreciate all the helpful advice that were given. I am currently looking to settle long term in Singapore and would request your kind advice on the chances of the application.

My wife and I have been staying in Singapore for close to 8 years and graduated from NUS/NTU. I am holding an SPR status for 3.5yr+ while my wife is holding an EP. She was always keen to get an SPR, however it was not possible since the PR tightening period in 2010.

We have get married for close to one year and now looking to settle long term in Singapore. We would like to have either (1) me getting a Citizenship or (2) my wife getting a SPR. We would also looking to have our first child in Singapore towards the end of the year. That is also the main reason why we would like to get the PR/Citizenship status as we would like to the same for my children.

Below are some of our backgrounds and would appreciate your advice.

Highest Education: Bachelor Degrees from NUS/NTU
Current Basic Salary: 4.5K each
Total Work Experience: 3.5 years in Singapore (Financial Industry) and working in big global MNCs
Length of stay in Singapore: 8 years
Race: Vietnamese

*** Would that increase my chance if both of us applying for Citizenship / PR at the same time?

Thank you in advance,
Last edited by singapore4life on Wed, 05 Jun 2013 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 05 Jun 2013 9:12 am

Is that combined salary or each of you? If you each make that much, have your kid then apply for PR for wife and kid together. Once your whole family has each had their PR ~5 yrs, can try for citizenship. Don't get your hopes up too high though.

singapore4life

Post by singapore4life » Wed, 05 Jun 2013 11:33 pm

[quote="zzm9980"]Is that combined salary or each of you? If you each make that much, have your kid then apply for PR for wife and kid together. Once your whole family has each had their PR ~5 yrs, can try for citizenship. Don't get your hopes up too high though.[/quote]

Yes, this is our individual salary. So I should wait until our first born child to apply PR for both then? Would I stand any chance for a citizenship or my wife for a PR at the moment? Thanks so much

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 06 Jun 2013 6:47 am

Citizenship, I' have to say no. Normally you will not be considered for citizenship until after your first REP renewal, somewhere around your 6th year of PR. I'd concur with ZZM on waiting until after the birth of the child and then applying for PR together.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

singapore4life

Post by singapore4life » Thu, 06 Jun 2013 10:03 am

[quote="sundaymorningstaple"]Citizenship, I' have to say no. Normally you will not be considered for citizenship until after your first REP renewal, somewhere around your 6th year of PR. I'd concur with ZZM on waiting until after the birth of the child and then applying for PR together.[/quote]

Thanjs for your reply. Woulf it decrease my odds if i got rejected for citizenship before? Would they consider previously rejected applicants in a less favor manner? Thanks

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 06 Jun 2013 10:16 am

singapore4life wrote: Thanjs for your reply. Woulf it decrease my odds if i got rejected for citizenship before? Would they consider previously rejected applicants in a less favor manner? Thanks
You've applied for yourself already and been rejected?

Previous rejections are reviewed. It won't help your case, but I would say if you are approved for PRs, wait the 6+ years, than apply again as a family, your situation will have changed significantly enough that it shouldn't matter.

That said, that whole process will be at least 7-8 years from now. Anything can happen. So making predictions that far out is silly. Just work on your PR for now.

singapore4life

Post by singapore4life » Thu, 06 Jun 2013 10:21 am

[quote="zzm9980"][quote="singapore4life"]
Thanjs for your reply. Woulf it decrease my odds if i got rejected for citizenship before? Would they consider previously rejected applicants in a less favor manner? Thanks[/quote]

Previous rejections are reviewed. It won't help your case, but I would say if you are approved for PRs, wait the 6+ years, than apply again as a family, your situation will have changed significantly enough that it shouldn't matter.

That said, that whole process will be at least 7-8 years from now. Anything can happen. So making predictions that far out is silly. Just work on your PR for now.[/quote]

No i haven't. Would only want to know whether i should just give it a shot now and if not successful try it again later. 8 yrs is a really long time from now and especially provided that we have alr decided our mind to settle here.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 06 Jun 2013 10:28 am

What the OP is saying is the hell with our advice as he's going to apply anyway.

Hopefully he doesn't get the "no way, Jose" message from ICA, because there is no way they are going to give her citizenship before she becomes a PR. And there is no way they are going to give him Citizenship by himself.
:roll:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 06 Jun 2013 10:57 am

singapore4life wrote: 8 yrs is a really long time from now and especially provided that we have alr decided our mind to settle here.
Yeah but they may not want you. But like SMS said, do whatever you like.

ICA already has more Vietnamese making more than you do than they know what to do with. Sure it may be the night-shift at Ipanema, but unfortunately for you ICA paints broad strokes with their brushes. Those OT girls will reflect negatively on everyone from your country.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 06 Jun 2013 11:06 am

It's doubtful that she will be considered for PR until such time as they have been married a minimum of two or three years. If she has a child then at two years it's a possibility, but before that, especially if she's been passed over before, it's not going to happen.

lolipop99
Regular
Regular

Post by lolipop99 » Thu, 06 Jun 2013 10:12 pm

My colleague is in the similar situation as the Op except that he is Australian Vietnamese and have PR status for 6 years, he tried to apply for his Vietnamese wife for PR for many times but all rejected, his 4th rejection came just recently after only 2 months of applying. Last year he tried to apply for citizenship but also got rejected. His wife is also a graduate from NTU, not sure how much she earn but she work in IT in a foreign Bank so maybe around 3-4K at least. The husband is a director in MNC and easily earn above 8K

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 07 Jun 2013 8:34 am

lolipop99 wrote:The husband is a director in MNC and easily earn above 8K
If a director in an MNC is not earning at least double or more like triple that, there-in lies the problem.

clairekua

Post by clairekua » Sun, 09 Jun 2013 2:02 pm

singapore4life wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:
singapore4life wrote: Thanjs for your reply. Woulf it decrease my odds if i got rejected for citizenship before? Would they consider previously rejected applicants in a less favor manner? Thanks

That said, that whole process will be at least 7-8 years from now. Anything can happen. So making predictions that far out is silly. Just work on your PR for now.
No i haven't. Would only want to know whether i should just give it a shot now and if not successful try it again later. 8 yrs is a really long time from now and especially provided that we have alr decided our mind to settle here.
:D Hey i thin you should apply for your wife first to get her PR, then after you guys have kids you can try for Singapore Citizenship. You dun have to wait for 7 8 years to do it.

singapore4life

Post by singapore4life » Tue, 07 Jan 2014 11:17 pm

[quote="sundaymorningstaple"]It's doubtful that she will be considered for PR until such time as they have been married a minimum of two or three years. If she has a child then at two years it's a possibility, but before that, especially if she's been passed over before, it's not going to happen.[/quote]

Hi,

Thank you for the advice. My wife has recently delivered a baby boy and we are considering the following options, again with the wishes of settling our family here in Singapore (I'm a SPR and my wife is on EP and both of use have stayed here for close to 9 years. We have married for 1.5 years)

(1) Apply PR for whole family: Would the possibility of my boy serving NS increase any chances for my wife and him to get PRs? I am myself have been a PR for 4 years. My wife has got rejected for PR recently in Nov'13.

(2) Apply PR for only my son: We are not sure whether this would increase our changes for our son to get a PR since my wife application was rejected recently.

(3) Apply Citizenship for myself and my son together: Wonder whether this is a possibility

Other than the above options, do you recommend what would be the best options for us here? Ultimately, we want all our family members to be converted into Singaporean.

PrimroseHill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by PrimroseHill » Wed, 08 Jan 2014 11:00 am

interesting. This is rather interesting.
when we received our PR, the letter invited us to apply for citizenship in 2years time. Does this mean that success rate is still not guaranteed? Not that we will be applying, merely curious.
A fellow Msian friend that are also PRs with 2 boys, is afraid that ICA will not allow them to keep renewing their REP. He seems to think that eventually they will want him to covert into citizenship.