Singapore Expats Forum

Best city ever?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Wed, 05 Jun 2013 1:40 am

[snort]

You need to .... go native in Oslo.

and then find your your own native, in NYC [/]

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Postby zzm9980 » Wed, 05 Jun 2013 9:13 am

Brah wrote:N.O. would be at the top of my list had I ever been, hope to one day. Tokyo is as well as it's always great to be back.

N.O.? Don't know that one. Naha?

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Hannieroo » Wed, 05 Jun 2013 9:15 am

zzm9980 wrote:
Hannieroo wrote:Would you take children to Shanghai?

Sure, depending on the age. But the age I'm thinking of I wouldn't want to take them anywhere heh. And they may not appreciate it as much as an adult would.

15 and 5. That might be somewhere I take the big one on our own.

N.O = New Orleans.

AndrewV
Chatter
Chatter

Postby AndrewV » Wed, 05 Jun 2013 10:15 am

San francisco for me
Alcatraz alone in my opinion is the best tourist destination in the world

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Wed, 05 Jun 2013 10:56 am

There cannot possibly be a best for visiting. There are just too many different things to see, too many different places to stay, too many different places to eat.

London, Paris, Madrid, Athens, Berlin, Rome... or Beijing, Hong Kong, Bangkok, Sydney, Mumbai... how can one be best when each is so different?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 05 Jun 2013 11:33 am

taste buds?

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Postby zzm9980 » Wed, 05 Jun 2013 11:45 am

Hannieroo wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:
Hannieroo wrote:Would you take children to Shanghai?

Sure, depending on the age. But the age I'm thinking of I wouldn't want to take them anywhere heh. And they may not appreciate it as much as an adult would.

15 and 5. That might be somewhere I take the big one on our own.

N.O = New Orleans.

Yeah big one will probably enjoy it. Little one will just get bored as to him it will be another busy city.

See I never thought New Orleans. Given Brah's Japanese interests, just assumed Naha, Okinawa :P

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Postby zzm9980 » Wed, 05 Jun 2013 11:47 am

Strong Eagle wrote:There cannot possibly be a best for visiting.

Well that is very true. I answered the question under the assumed context "If you were to return to visit a city again, and could only pick from places you've visited..."

Wd40
Director
Director

Postby Wd40 » Wed, 05 Jun 2013 1:50 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:There cannot possibly be a best for visiting. There are just too many different things to see, too many different places to stay, too many different places to eat.

London, Paris, Madrid, Athens, Berlin, Rome... or Beijing, Hong Kong, Bangkok, Sydney, Mumbai... how can one be best when each is so different?

+1

look at this lonely planet guide:

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/themes/best ... 10-cities/

The city at no 3 is a shocking choice, probably for its natives too.

For me if there 1 Indian city worth visiting it will be Jodhpur in Rajasthan.
Last edited by Wd40 on Wed, 05 Jun 2013 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yogaloungeforever
Chatter
Chatter

Postby yogaloungeforever » Wed, 05 Jun 2013 1:57 pm

call me shallow. but it's dubai for me. i especially love this city in the summer when the sun is just about setting and i am sitting in one of the bistros along Jumeirah.
Life is short hence I live it to its fullest, that is .... I eat and sleep

Wd40
Director
Director

Postby Wd40 » Wed, 05 Jun 2013 2:53 pm

yogaloungeforever wrote:call me shallow. but it's dubai for me. i especially love this city in the summer when the sun is just about setting and i am sitting in one of the bistros along Jumeirah.

After living in Singapore, I would never again want to visit another superficial place that boasts of tallest, biggest, widest, richest, fanciest, fastest...

I rather prefer a place with more character :)

If it is to work there as a wealthy expat, then its a different matter, but I will never "visit" that place with my own money. Same thing for Singapore also. :wink:
Last edited by Wd40 on Wed, 05 Jun 2013 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Hannieroo » Wed, 05 Jun 2013 2:57 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:There cannot possibly be a best for visiting.

Well that is very true. I answered the question under the assumed context "If you were to return to visit a city again, and could only pick from places you've visited..."

Yes, that really. There isn't a right answer.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Wed, 05 Jun 2013 5:59 pm

Wd40 wrote:After living in Singapore, I would never again want to visit another superficial place that boasts of tallest, biggest, widest, richest, fanciest, fastest...

Yes, I tend to agree, and am pondering this.

Where you choose, that works for you, also hinges upon where you are from, and at what stage of life you are.

Visiting the temples of Kyoto, or simply taking a taxi in NYC or London... each in their own way can be revelatory. But these options lie amongst the palette of maybe 100,000 that you will get to choose from in life.

[Getting a bit deep for 6pm, better go and get a beer man]

yogaloungeforever
Chatter
Chatter

Postby yogaloungeforever » Wed, 05 Jun 2013 6:05 pm

Wd40 wrote:
yogaloungeforever wrote:call me shallow. but it's dubai for me. i especially love this city in the summer when the sun is just about setting and i am sitting in one of the bistros along Jumeirah.

After living in Singapore, I would never again want to visit another superficial place that boasts of tallest, biggest, widest, richest, fanciest, fastest...

I rather prefer a place with more character :)

If it is to work there as a wealthy expat, then its a different matter, but I will never "visit" that place with my own money. Same thing for Singapore also. :wink:

i guess if you see past the shallowness of dubai then it will be a city with lots to do and memories to bring home. i like that i can go into a fancy restaurant like that of traders or meridien in shorts, t and slippers and no one stares at me (of course when the occasion calls for formal wear then i go according to instructions) and then after that straight to jumeirah for a stroll and you can see peeps still there swimming in the bright moonlight and the neverending seas (where i dont see a ship in sight) with the breeze blowing on my skin. i like that i can go have breakfast somewhere along jumeirah and then off to oman for the afternoon and then back in time in the evening to have dinner as part of the desert safari trip. i like the never ending souks with all that perfumes and spices and metals and interesting artifacts (and again go in shorts, ts and slippers) and then scoot off to skidxb for in-door skiing. i just love the hot sun that goes almost all year round. i also like that the high-ways there are build for almost cheap (sports) cars.

in singapore i just work, eat and sleep :(
Life is short hence I live it to its fullest, that is .... I eat and sleep

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Wed, 05 Jun 2013 6:26 pm

Wd40 wrote:After living in Singapore, I would never again want to visit another superficial place that boasts of tallest, biggest, widest, richest, fanciest, fastest...

I noticed that too that things HAVE to be advertised as such in Singapore.