Singapore Expats

What is with dealer websites. NEVER any prices!

Discuss anything relating to automotive here, from car leasing to buying a vehicle.
Yeboah

What is with dealer websites. NEVER any prices!

Post by Yeboah » Mon, 03 Jun 2013 2:02 pm

Drives me mad. Yes I know its all in the bargaining, but I'm not going to call some cell phone to enquire on a dealer's main site, I'll just go elsewhere thank you very much. What a joke. Why don't any sites seem to advertise prices?

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Re: What is with dealer websites. NEVER any prices!

Post by AngMoG » Mon, 03 Jun 2013 2:37 pm

Yeboah wrote:Drives me mad. Yes I know its all in the bargaining, but I'm not going to call some cell phone to enquire on a dealer's main site, I'll just go elsewhere thank you very much. What a joke. Why don't any sites seem to advertise prices?
I think the rationale behind this is that then their competitors will know their "secret" prices, and underbid them. I know, drives me mad too; even the electronics retailers have an abysmal online presence, with few prices and limited selection.

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Mon, 03 Jun 2013 2:44 pm

Irritating, I know. Try to buy watch anywhere in SG! (I'm not talking abt those - 5 dollars per piece)

I'm not sure what to do with cars, but in case with watches my friends were printing out the price of the same model from Amazon, showing to the seller, bargain started from there.

Yeboah

Post by Yeboah » Mon, 03 Jun 2013 2:57 pm

I can appreciate that teh COE is variable (although not so much with bikes) but they could easily publish their prices without COE with current COE in brackets)

I think you are right, its this secret best ever hush hush sooper-dooper price thing they are protecting. its so immature. Do they really expect me to travel half way across the island just to find out the price. No siree! you lose a sale my friend.

the online presence for firms in general in Singapore is abysmal as pointed out. There is an absolute killing to be made by an independent transparent bike store/importer with garage attached. The kind of place you see on every high street in the UK.

madness!

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 03 Jun 2013 4:43 pm

Are you talking new or used cars?

New cars have static price lists pubished periodically. Used cars often have prices on sgcarmart.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 03 Jun 2013 8:32 pm

Sergei82 wrote:Irritating, I know. Try to buy watch anywhere in SG! (I'm not talking abt those - 5 dollars per piece)

I'm not sure what to do with cars, but in case with watches my friends were printing out the price of the same model from Amazon, showing to the seller, bargain started from there.
Not sure what price segment you are after, but if for an average modest budget chicken rice eater this one is ok: http://www.skywatches.com.sg

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Mon, 03 Jun 2013 9:11 pm

x9200 wrote:
Sergei82 wrote:Irritating, I know. Try to buy watch anywhere in SG! (I'm not talking abt those - 5 dollars per piece)

Not sure what price segment you are after, but if for an average modest budget chicken rice eater this one is ok: http://www.skywatches.com.sg
Bought a watch from them when I really wanted a cheap but good watch. I opted to go to their store in Chinatown to seal the deal. A 30 SGD watch that is pretty good for those times where wearing an expensive watch would make you look stupid/tacky and yet wouldn't look out of place if you're wearing t-shirt and jeans (or sportswear). Or if you're going somewhere and you don't want to get mugged. Or laughed at. And I was also able to use the same watch for scuba diving. The battery's also supposed to last 10 years.

One of the best uses for 30 SGD.

http://www.skywatches.com.sg/reviews/ca ... mw600f.htm
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 03 Jun 2013 10:10 pm

I also went over there in person. This is a regular store but they mostly do packing for on-line international shoppers. If you search the net it is clear they have very good reputation. Average price range 100-200 SGD.