Singapore Expats Forum

Single Mother earning 3,500/mth...can i live???????

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

raninut

Single Mother earning 3,500/mth...can i live???????

Postby raninut » Mon, 27 Dec 2004 11:57 am

Hi.
Im a Fashion Merchandiser and i am geting an offer for 3,500 per month............AND im a Single Mother of 1 child.....i hold PR....what do you think...can i live????????
R. :shock:

hithere

living costs

Postby hithere » Thu, 30 Dec 2004 4:01 pm

Hi - my first job in singapore paid about that much. So long as you could find some affordable accomodation - less than 1500 per month (private condo), that salary should be sufficient, yes. Rent is your highest expense in Singapore. Food and transport are quite affordable once you know where to shop (local is best) and how to get around easily (i.e. the less train/bus connections you need to make, the better, so live close to work or school). Have a strict entertaining budget and stick to it - it is easy to get carried away - find things to do for free! Check out rooms/apartments for rent on this website. Hope this helps! :)

Savage
Regular
Regular

Postby Savage » Thu, 30 Dec 2004 5:16 pm

You can live on that but you can't save much. Negoatiate for more - you know you're worth it :)

pastrian.allac
Regular
Regular

Postby pastrian.allac » Fri, 31 Dec 2004 11:52 am

hithere, your first job was paid that high.. when was that? while the economy booms? lucky you...

careful

Postby careful » Thu, 13 Jan 2005 1:45 pm

Employers are known to reduce the gross package in contract renewals once you settle down in this country. Knowing that your options gets limited once you are settled here. Be mentally prepared for that.

Wellwisher

Francis28

Postby Francis28 » Thu, 13 Jan 2005 6:21 pm

Well said, that's pretty widespread. Well, rainhut just make sure you have a spare tyre to fall back on. Remember even if the job promises that amount, it is still subjected to pitfalls that you may not forsee at this early stage =)

The chinese say always prepare for a rainy day

Cheers

careful

Postby careful » Fri, 14 Jan 2005 1:24 pm

Employers play all sort of funny tricks to replace you with a cheaper resource, which is plenty in Singapore. You always have a readymade replacement available at 90% of your salary. You have to learn to protect your job.

Wellwisher

Postby Guest » Fri, 14 Jan 2005 10:09 pm

The above is no different, in any other Country, If you cannot produce you are out!!

I have seen many that work the long hours and produce nothing, what it all comes down to, is that for 3500 a month, they will need to see the results, you will have to meet their targets, otherwise your out!!!

Mind you saying that, I have also seen many high profile people employed for many years, that do not earn their own wages, i often wonder how they can get away with it!

guest zz

Postby guest zz » Tue, 18 Jan 2005 8:31 pm

I think that it also depends on the needs of your child (milk formulas nowadays are getting more expensive, or if older school expenses).

guest zz

Postby guest zz » Tue, 18 Jan 2005 8:32 pm

I think that it also depends on the needs of your child (milk formulas nowadays are getting more expensive, or if older school expenses).