Singapore Expats

PR rejected in May. Appeal or reapply?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Isabelle906

PR rejected in May. Appeal or reapply?

Post by Isabelle906 » Fri, 31 May 2013 7:19 pm

Hello Everyone

I am 35 years old, female, Chinese, Married. Obtained Master degree in France. Work in Singapore about 5 years (since Aug 2008) and earn $3.7k during PR application and 4.5k now/month.
1st PR application in Oct 2009, EP, applied for myself and got rejection after 3 months waiting.
2nd time applied in Oct 2012 with 3 tax assessent, SP (EP downgrade to SP during renewal), apply for me and my hubby. My hubby came to Singapore in Sep 2011. DP holder and a share holder of a small firm, no monthly income. Chinese, got master degree in France as well. We received rejection letter 2 weeks ago after 7months waiting.
Actually, after travelling a lot of country, Singapore is the right country that we want to settle down. That's why my hubby quit his job and came to Singapore and redevelop his career all over again. Maybe a little bit tough now but we believe we will have a better future. But after PR rejection, I really frustrated and don't know what we should do.
Since I get a promotion and hold EP P2 pass now, is there any chance if we appeal? Or better wait and re-apply? Reapply for myself or both of us?

Can anyone help to advise? Really appreciated!

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 31 May 2013 7:28 pm

Sorry, but from details you have provided, it looks like Singapore doesnt want you as much as you want Singapore. Sad but true. Main reason is probably your salary and your husband's employment situation. There is no way you are going to get Singapore PR, unless your husband starts earning something like 7k per month. Just accept this and move on.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 31 May 2013 8:03 pm

Wd40 wrote:Sorry, but from details you have provided, it looks like Singapore doesnt want you as much as you want Singapore. Sad but true. Main reason is probably your salary and your husband's employment situation. There is no way you are going to get Singapore PR, unless your husband starts earning something like 7k per month. Just accept this and move on.
Basically, what he said.

To add, I'm assuming you're China Chinese, not the favored flavor/race. You didn't say what your occupation is but I think it's something countless Singaporeans can do as well.

What does it say on your rejection letter? If it says "feel free to stay on your current pass..." that's basically the kiss of PR death.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Isabelle906

Post by Isabelle906 » Fri, 31 May 2013 8:43 pm

Yeah, I am China/Chinese. But most of my colleagues (China/Chinese) who has similar background as me all got PR approved. Some of them earn less than me, staying shorter than me and lower degree. The only difference is they are all male.Their wife also hold DP without income. So the gender of main applicant count so much? Or the luck count as well?

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 31 May 2013 8:52 pm

Yes gender counts, counts a lot. Females work or not work doesn't matter,its nice if they work, but the main reason for their existence is to produce babies and hence play that crucial role in maintaining the human race, in your case you are 35 and the sole bread winner, so thats unlikely to happen. Sorry thats not my thinking but thats probably how the authorities think.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 31 May 2013 9:07 pm

Wd40 wrote:Yes gender counts, counts a lot. Females work or not work doesn't matter,its nice if they work, but the main reason for their existence is to produce babies and hence play that crucial role in maintaining the human race, in your case you are 35 and the sole bread winner, so thats unlikely to happen. Sorry thats not my thinking but thats probably how the authorities think.
Just a little add on to what Wd40 has already mentioned, if you think about it from the ICA's point of view, what are you going to bring to Singapore that would be a mutual benefit to BOTH parties (you & Singapore). Currently you only are helping yourself and no one else (Your tax liability is next to nil considering you are on an S pass). As you are already in your Mid-30's without a spouse, the likelihood of you having offspring (of either gender - male preferably) is slim to nil as well. So all you will succeed in doing, if given PR here is become old and eventually a possible ward of the state without any family here for your support. Also, you would be taking up valuable space and an added drain of the facilities here. Harsh, but there is the fact of the matter. If you tell me you would go back China, then there is another reason not to grant PR as you would be just using it for what you can get.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Isabelle906

Post by Isabelle906 » Fri, 31 May 2013 10:15 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Wd40 wrote:Yes gender counts, counts a lot. Females work or not work doesn't matter,its nice if they work, but the main reason for their existence is to produce babies and hence play that crucial role in maintaining the human race, in your case you are 35 and the sole bread winner, so thats unlikely to happen. Sorry thats not my thinking but thats probably how the authorities think.
Just a little add on to what Wd40 has already mentioned, if you think about it from the ICA's point of view, what are you going to bring to Singapore that would be a mutual benefit to BOTH parties (you & Singapore). Currently you only are helping yourself and no one else (Your tax liability is next to nil considering you are on an S pass). As you are already in your Mid-30's without a spouse, the likelihood of you having offspring (of either gender - male preferably) is slim to nil as well. So all you will succeed in doing, if given PR here is become old and eventually a possible ward of the state without any family here for your support. Also, you would be taking up valuable space and an added drain of the facilities here. Harsh, but there is the fact of the matter. If you tell me you would go back China, then there is another reason not to grant PR as you would be just using it for what you can get.
Thanks Wd40, Naka and all of your reply.
My contribution to Singapore maybe tiny but not nil. I paied three years tax continuously (each year more than 1k,) and will pay the 4th year soon. I only hold SP for few months because of EP renewal fail and already upgrade to EP after my promotion last month. I also make donation to the poor ppl in MRT and to the studients who help to collect the donnatin on street. I know its not big things but i am only try to say i am not a selfish foreigner just enjoying the benifit of Singapore and I do care ppl here and contribute the society.
My hubby and I also plan to have baby and start trying. We plan to settle down here and raise our child here. That's why we apply PR.
But plan is plan, we can do nothing if there is not any chance for us. We try our best. Still not working, maybe it's not our lost.

Thanks all of you again!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 31 May 2013 11:20 pm

I misread and missed the fact that you were already married. Until your husband can find work I have my doubts that you will be successful in your application. He's already been here 1.5 years and still no job? That cannot bode well on any application. How long have you two been married?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Isabelle906

Post by Isabelle906 » Sat, 01 Jun 2013 12:06 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I misread and missed the fact that you were already married. Until your husband can find work I have my doubts that you will be successful in your application. He's already been here 1.5 years and still no job? That cannot bode well on any application. How long have you two been married?
He looked for in the first few months and in the end he decide to run a small company with another friend (Singaporen) and he is one of the share holder. Everything is hard in the beginning especially for a business, so there is no much earning. But he already got LOC approved, so he can work for his own company and get paied. So I am thinking this will be another adding value to appeal beside my EP upgraded? (We married more than 4 years)

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 01 Jun 2013 6:51 am

Good luck. You are going to need it. But be prepared for another rejection.

katbh
Reporter
Reporter

Post by katbh » Sat, 01 Jun 2013 7:52 am

I think some people are being a little harsh here. It appears now that your income is not an issue for PR. What is the issue, from what I can see, is your husband's work status. If he has been working (even for his own company) on a DP, without a LOC he is working illegally. If you said he is working, ICA would have immediately rejected you as he is illegal. If you said he is not working, you would be rejected immediately.
Singapore ICA is pretty sexist and expect the man to work. If you were a man I would suggest your PR would go through on your current salary. But as a woman supporting a Husband, this they will not accept.
Get your husband to show that he is earning a wage - this is not hard if he has LOC and is working in own company. Get one year of tax returns in (he needs to declare a high income and pay tax on it) and then make the application. You may be surprised.
katbh

Isabelle906

Post by Isabelle906 » Sat, 01 Jun 2013 9:50 am

katbh wrote:I think some people are being a little harsh here. It appears now that your income is not an issue for PR. What is the issue, from what I can see, is your husband's work status. If he has been working (even for his own company) on a DP, without a LOC he is working illegally. If you said he is working, ICA would have immediately rejected you as he is illegal. If you said he is not working, you would be rejected immediately.
Singapore ICA is pretty sexist and expect the man to work. If you were a man I would suggest your PR would go through on your current salary. But as a woman supporting a Husband, this they will not accept.
Get your husband to show that he is earning a wage - this is not hard if he has LOC and is working in own company. Get one year of tax returns in (he needs to declare a high income and pay tax on it) and then make the application. You may be surprised.
Okay, I see. Thank you! A little bit regret that ICA is still sexist in today.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 01 Jun 2013 10:41 am

They are not sexist. They are just pragmatic. As the others already said, from ICA perspective you really don't have much to offer and it does not look it is going to change in foreseeable future especially that your biological clock has been already running some longer time. It does not matter your contribution is not nil. Look around, there is a long queue in front of the gime PR counter and I am very sure they will find better candidates over there.
Your fast tract to PR is to make your husband to provide some reasonable income and you both to have some children, male preferred. Sorry for the harsh words, but I am under impression you still do not get it.

yogaloungeforever
Chatter
Chatter

Re: PR rejected in May. Appeal or reapply?

Post by yogaloungeforever » Sat, 01 Jun 2013 3:03 pm

i'd be a lil optimistic than the rest. why not work a coupla more years under your ep2 and then re-apply for pr again. even betta if you can hunt around for a betta paying job, which will pay you more than 6k.

Isabelle906 wrote:Hello Everyone

I am 35 years old, female, Chinese, Married. Obtained Master degree in France. Work in Singapore about 5 years (since Aug 2008) and earn $3.7k during PR application and 4.5k now/month.
1st PR application in Oct 2009, EP, applied for myself and got rejection after 3 months waiting.
2nd time applied in Oct 2012 with 3 tax assessent, SP (EP downgrade to SP during renewal), apply for me and my hubby. My hubby came to Singapore in Sep 2011. DP holder and a share holder of a small firm, no monthly income. Chinese, got master degree in France as well. We received rejection letter 2 weeks ago after 7months waiting.
Actually, after travelling a lot of country, Singapore is the right country that we want to settle down. That's why my hubby quit his job and came to Singapore and redevelop his career all over again. Maybe a little bit tough now but we believe we will have a better future. But after PR rejection, I really frustrated and don't know what we should do.
Since I get a promotion and hold EP P2 pass now, is there any chance if we appeal? Or better wait and re-apply? Reapply for myself or both of us?

Can anyone help to advise? Really appreciated!
Life is short hence I live it to its fullest, that is .... I eat and sleep

kenza

Post by kenza » Mon, 03 Jun 2013 12:56 pm

Hi Isabelle, Just to share. I think the best bet would be when both you and your husband status improve( such as salaries, number of years working and staying here) I can see you have better status then your hubby, at less you have fix monthly income. I know it's tough but just have to bite the bullet and hope for the best. :-|