Singapore Expats

How great is the Great Singapore Sale?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 02 Jun 2013 5:57 pm

For some reason, we dont like Orchard so much. The malls are way too highend for us, just reminds us of our true status in Singapore :cry: The only malls we can actually do some shopping there are closer to Somerset MRT, Centrepoint mall(Robinsons), OG etc and no Lucky plaza is not for us.

Not many Indians restaurants there either, There is one on Cuppage road, but it caters to expats more than Indians :?

We prefer Clark Quay/Boat Quay much more, there is Riverwalk Tandoor there or Suntec also not bad, has some good Indian restaurants.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: How great is the Great Singapore Sale?

Post by JR8 » Sun, 02 Jun 2013 6:08 pm

Wd40 wrote:But seriously, what can you do in Singapore without malls. Other than malls the only places we visit is boat quay, clark quay, little india, changi beach, singapore expo.
Wow... you know you've been in SG too long when you start asking questions like that (right??)?

:o

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 02 Jun 2013 6:35 pm

Wd40 wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
zzm9980 wrote: Any of the heartland malls on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon is much worse than Orchard Rd. I assure you of this.
I HATE NEX! Worst part is it's within walking distance, even for an old coot like me. (2.4km) or a selection 6 buses from my flat. You can drive as well but.....
Why? Whats wrong with NEX? Its probably the only mall catering to Serangoon/Hougang and nearby areas, so you dont have much choice. :)
Aside from the layout having been designed by a dyslexic?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 02 Jun 2013 6:57 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Wd40 wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote: I HATE NEX! Worst part is it's within walking distance, even for an old coot like me. (2.4km) or a selection 6 buses from my flat. You can drive as well but.....
Why? Whats wrong with NEX? Its probably the only mall catering to Serangoon/Hougang and nearby areas, so you dont have much choice. :)
Aside from the layout having been designed by a dyslexic?
Haha, Yeah, I remember being there once to return my starhub modem, when I was living in AMK. Its kind of difficult to locate the escalators. But its ok, lah. Its accessible directly from the MRT exit, so its easily accessible.

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Sun, 02 Jun 2013 8:07 pm

JR8 wrote:
Wd40 wrote:But seriously, what can you do in Singapore without malls. Other than malls the only places we visit is boat quay, clark quay, little india, changi beach, singapore expo.
Wow... you know you've been in SG too long when you start asking questions like that (right??)? :o
I asked this after my first week here, before I caved and just accepted that that's about the most of it.

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Mon, 03 Jun 2013 10:27 am

Wd40 wrote:Yesterday we were at Tampines mall. It says "Sale", "Sale" everywhere. Almost every big retailer like kiddy Palace, Popular etc is doing a like 10% storewide discount(20% discount for members)....
BHG says "Close door sale" lol. I wonder what it means. They seem to have barricaded major part of the entrance and letting people in via a narrow entrance and hence need to queue. Needless to say the place is jam packed from inside.
There is always SALE everywhere in Tampines - living in the eare for 2 years, every single day there is a "sale". And it is always jam packed during weekend, including BHG.

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Mon, 03 Jun 2013 10:28 am

Have anyone found any real sale in Singapore during this weekend? Me - not yet.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 03 Jun 2013 10:55 am

Sergei82 wrote:Have anyone found any real sale in Singapore during this weekend? Me - not yet.
Amazon.com gives me better sales...

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 03 Jun 2013 10:56 am

Yep. Until you have to pay for shipping! Small electronic good though are good, high volume items (size) not good at all, shipping wise. Small, under $400 good, large or over $400, bad.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Mon, 03 Jun 2013 11:06 am

I's using Amazon myself. Even large items with shipping are often much cheaper than buying identical things here, in SG (not similar, but identical! - even brand).
I wouldn't buy shoes or clothing at Amazon though for apparent reason. Have to buy it only after I can try it, so no choice here.

I am not asking how to buy cheapre, I'm asking: has anyone seen any sales in Singapore? If yes, then where? I want to go take a look.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 03 Jun 2013 12:13 pm

Sergei82 wrote: I am not asking how to buy cheapre, I'm asking: has anyone seen any sales in Singapore? If yes, then where? I want to go take a look.
Only time I recall taking advantage of a sale/discount price was when I bought a netbook as a gift for my wife. IIRC I bought it from a place called MC2 at Sim Lim. Unexpected to me, they gave me an additional and unmarked price-match*, 'Because that is the price we're charging at the computer/IT fair (that was on at that time)'.

*I.e. I checked all of Sim Lim re: the model I wanted, MC2 happened to cheapest at say $550, and only when I got to the cash-till did they tell me it would in fact be $500.

p.s. Some of the discounts offered are hilarious. I was looking at a double+ page ad by NTUC in yesterdays papers, and some of the offers were maybe 5% off the usual price.

maidsrch

Post by maidsrch » Mon, 03 Jun 2013 12:21 pm

There is a decent sale going on in GAP, atleast for kids clothes. ALL of the kids section was at 50% off, no strings attached.
The condition came in as 'Get extra 20% off if you buy 5 pieces'.
Needless to say, folks around me were grabbing clothes as they went. :)

Still a good deal, even without the extra 20%

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Post by morenangpinay » Mon, 03 Jun 2013 12:45 pm

here this might help especially warehouse sales
http://tualobang.blogspot.sg/

BedokAmerican
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BedokAmerican » Mon, 03 Jun 2013 2:07 pm

Sergei82 wrote:Have anyone found any real sale in Singapore during this weekend? Me - not yet.
What's annoying are the signs that say "up to 50% off," the "up to" is in really small print and the 50% is in huge print. That could mean that only a small number of items are actually 50% off and others are something like 10-20% off or not on sale at all. This is true not only in Sg, but everywhere.

Another thing, often times you have to be a "member" to get the max discount. It costs money to be a member (also known as a frequent shopper), which I never understood because its free to join almost every store where I come from. Toys R Us, IKEA and other int'l stores here won't take the frequent shopper cards issued for free in other countries. Also, even if you are a member here, you must carry the card and show it every time you check out. They can't look you up in the system by phone number or last name the way stores do elsewhere. It's a hassle to keep a wallet filled with shopper reward cards. Sometimes you don't realize you're going to shop at one of those stores until you're out and about.

Ok, on to my experience this weekend:

Bought a stroller. Deal was decent by Sg standards. Went to the cash register and there was a sign that said you get free parking if you spend a certain amount. We asked about free parking since our car has an automated debit device in the window and she said the paperwork to get free parking would've needed to be filled out a few days in advance. Huh? You've got to be kidding me!

Went to buy a toy for my child. Sign said 20% off for members, 15% for nonmembers. Not a member but wanted the toy anyway. Got to register, clerk rings it up and said this particular toy was already marked down. Didn't appear to be already marked down because there was only 1 sticker on it. Whatever.

Wanted to get new shoes, but they're still grossly overpriced, and with my luck, I'd run into the same issue mentioned in the previous paragraph. I might wait until I see a better sale elsewhere or just wait until I go home for a visit in a few months.

swifty

Post by swifty » Wed, 05 Jun 2013 8:04 pm

Yea I'm pretty disappointed with the GSS.
Had quite a number of items to buy but held off to see if they'd go on discount.
Result: no difference in price, except worse crowds and some of the sizes were gone.
Teach me for cheapening out.