Singapore Expats

How great is the Great Singapore Sale?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 05 Jun 2013 9:02 pm

BedokAmerican wrote: What's annoying are the signs that say "up to 50% off," the "up to" is in really small print and the 50% is in huge print. That could mean that only a small number of items are actually 50% off and others are something like 10-20% off or not on sale at all. This is true not only in Sg, but everywhere.

If this is universal, why does it annoy you?

It seems to me rather like having to stand up to get out of bed it annoying.

IMHO pick your annoyances wisely.

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Sun, 09 Jun 2013 1:25 pm

BedokAmerican wrote:
Sergei82 wrote:Have anyone found any real sale in Singapore during this weekend? Me - not yet.
What's annoying are the signs that say "up to 50% off," the "up to" is in really small print and the 50% is in huge print. That could mean that only a small number of items are actually 50% off and others are something like 10-20% off or not on sale at all.
If you want polo shirts, The Gap has them and some other things at 50% off (= $25 which is pretty good). If you buy 5 items you get an additional 20% off. I got 5 items today for $100, which for Singapore is not bad.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 09 Jun 2013 2:43 pm

Yesterday we went to City Square mall on Serangoon road. Boy that place is alive and kicking and feels so upmarket now.

The last time we went there was like 2-3 years ago and it was so deserted.
Now the place has all kinds of stores including Metro, Uniqlo and there was a Toys R'Us sale and Metro sale outdoor sale in the main lobby area in level 1.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 09 Jun 2013 4:10 pm

BedokAmerican wrote:What's annoying are the signs that say "up to 50% off," the "up to" is in really small print and the 50% is in huge print.
A bit different area but some of the well established brands play exactly the same trick. Go to Cold Storage and look for 100% juice *. These are not some cheap no-name like Chinese stuff or some half-ethical family businesses.

*) Juice drink made from 100% juice concentrate.

yogaloungeforever
Chatter
Chatter

Post by yogaloungeforever » Sun, 09 Jun 2013 5:07 pm

slightly offed fr the original topic.

if there's 1 sale that i look forward to, it's the black friday sale. it's that once a year thingy i save my money for, pack in a coupla suit cases (for all my designer bags, shoes and clothes and whatever else i can buy at huge discounts). there's these bunch of us where we hit the sales in the uk, france and italy. we just wait until the sales start and then take 1 month off, buy a return tic to europe, pack loads suitcases and bring loads of money. a lot of what i have are discounted stuff (at huge discounts) from europe and the US. and this is are not like the ones where sales in MNG or zara singapore holds the gss and all you get are crappy clothes (ie., torn ones or horrid colours or completely trashy) at 1/2 price
Life is short hence I live it to its fullest, that is .... I eat and sleep

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 09 Jun 2013 5:44 pm

Yeah, Black Friday Sales. The day that Americans turn into normal, everyday shopping behaviour, Singaporeans! :o :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers