Singapore Expats Forum

Be a little bit more careful and perhaps discreet people.

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

bgd
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1283
Joined: Wed, 25 Jul 2007

Postby bgd » Thu, 06 Jun 2013 2:17 pm

They were doing display flying with smoke over Marina Bay yesterday so more likely to be training for National Day than a security threat. Can't remember them being this early in the past, though.

I believe there is some sort of Hello Kitty promotion at McDs now. Judging by the queues at Boat Quay it must be something like that - out the door and round the corner. It's not the food.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34778
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 06 Jun 2013 5:40 pm

bgd wrote:
I believe there is some sort of Hello Kitty promotion at McDs now. Judging by the queues at Boat Quay it must be something like that - out the door and round the corner. It's not the food.


They're seeing if they can get another fist fight between a doctor & a couple of others in the queue trying to get a Hello Kitty like was done around a decade ago. edited to add the year was 2000. Not counting the glass door that was destroyed by idiots pushing the door trying to get in at opening to the the Kitty dolls. These are supposedly adults, mind you!

sutra549392.html&highlight=fist+fight+mcdonalds#549392
Last edited by sundaymorningstaple on Thu, 06 Jun 2013 5:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Thu, 06 Jun 2013 5:49 pm

Geez you guys like throwing bullshit around like you work for Janes but it's 100% wrong. I'm not sure you you all actually fancy yourselves some kind of actual experts on this or what (Squirrel seems to fancy himself an expert on everything. and is usually wrong, so it's expected from him).

The US does not keep any fleets based in Singapore. Sixth Fleet is based in Naples, Italy. Seventh Fleet is based in They have a single LCS ship here. Basically a glorified destroyer.

Various ships sometimes make port calls on the way to the Persian gulf, but they stop by dozens of countries around the world. It's a pretty normal thing. Hell, Russian navy has stopped in the US before.

No idea why you think it is US fighter jets flying over Singapore. It is the SAF. They also have jets stationed in Australia, the US, and I believe Taiwan.

This is the LCS Freedom that is in Singapore. Hardly a fearsome fleet:

Image

bgd
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1283
Joined: Wed, 25 Jul 2007

Postby bgd » Thu, 06 Jun 2013 5:52 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
bgd wrote:
I believe there is some sort of Hello Kitty promotion at McDs now. Judging by the queues at Boat Quay it must be something like that - out the door and round the corner. It's not the food.


They're seeing if they can get another fist fight between a doctor & a couple of others in the queue trying to get a Hello Kitty like was done around a decade ago. Not counting the glass door that was destroyed by idiots pushing the door trying to get in at opening to the the Kitty dolls. These are supposedly adults, mind you!

sutra549392.html&highlight=fist+fight+mcdonalds#549392


That was an interesting but depressing read.

I take it back. Can't have been Hello Kitty, the queue was too well behaved. Must be the food. :???:

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34778
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 06 Jun 2013 5:55 pm

Touchy, touchy. We all know that.

Please point out where we said that the 7th OR 6th fleet was 'based' in Singapore. Please read for context instead of foaming at the bit. We said they used to anchor off shore (obviously not the entire fleet as they couldn't even fit into the harbour even if all the other ships were removed.) Or when the Carriers come here they now berth at Changi Base instead of offshore out in the harbour. Geez yourself. :roll: :lol:

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34778
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 06 Jun 2013 5:59 pm

bgd wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
bgd wrote:
I believe there is some sort of Hello Kitty promotion at McDs now. Judging by the queues at Boat Quay it must be something like that - out the door and round the corner. It's not the food.


They're seeing if they can get another fist fight between a doctor & a couple of others in the queue trying to get a Hello Kitty like was done around a decade ago. Not counting the glass door that was destroyed by idiots pushing the door trying to get in at opening to the the Kitty dolls. These are supposedly adults, mind you!

sutra549392.html&highlight=fist+fight+mcdonalds#549392


That was an interesting but depressing read.

I take it back. Can't have been Hello Kitty, the queue was too well behaved. Must be the food. :???:


Actually it is another Hello Kitty promotion. They're gluttons for punishment. But they made international news the last time for the wrong reasons and I guess they don't need that Pontianak to come back to haunt them again!

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Thu, 06 Jun 2013 6:30 pm

. We all know the 6th Fleet is anchored up off Changi...


"Anchored up off Changi...", followed by chat about this being the 51st or 52nd state because of said assumption would seem to imply based there.

If not, they stop all over the place. Is every other port call another state?

And I get equally annoyed at pro-US chest thumpers as I do at the anti-US "omg America iz World Police wtf" crowd.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34778
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 06 Jun 2013 9:00 pm

After 30 years outside of the country I don't much care about either bunch, truth be known. I reckon most on here are just making light-hearted jokes about it.

This bunch of posters aren't really in all the other ports. I've always said that Canada & Mexico were our 51st & 52nd states but I don't think I was implying that we had bases there. So should we assume Australia is now our 53rd State now that we are basing troops there again? (Marines) :wink:

Sorry my earlier post came across rather terse. It wasn't till after I responded that I realized who the poster was. (That's why it was edited somewhat). :shit:

User avatar
Brah
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1956
Joined: Sat, 18 Dec 2010

Postby Brah » Thu, 06 Jun 2013 9:40 pm

JR8 wrote:So these fly-boys going up and down (and how boring must it be, doing a 20 mile run) are Yanks are they? ... Or is this the life of a SAF pilot, 20 miles up and down, up and down, up and down, all completely pointlessly...

The pilots are local, the planes and the trainers are American. This happens every time this time of year.

They haven't posted the rehearsal schedule, which is a better way to see the airshow than dealing with the NDP crowds.

User avatar
Sooner8
Member
Member
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri, 03 May 2013

Postby Sooner8 » Thu, 06 Jun 2013 11:38 pm

JR8 wrote:
ecureilx wrote:It was USS Kitty Hawk that was the first deep draft vessel to dock in the New base - early 2000's or later I think .. and then onwards, all carriers dock than anchor off-shore ..


Oh, Is that why there's so many 'Hello Kitty' toys in this country?

Brilliant. :lol:

Full disclosure, my family is big in to Hello Kitty stuff. When in mid April, McD had HK toys in their happy meals, I was able to only get 4 of the 6 for my 16 month old daughter. Luckily, here stateside, the desire to get HK stuff is not quite rabid. I did not have to fight for them.
‘While at Raffles, why not visit Singapore?' Indeed.

gailwynand
Regular
Regular
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon, 10 Dec 2012

Postby gailwynand » Fri, 07 Jun 2013 1:24 am

zzm9980 wrote:Geez you guys like throwing bullshit around like you work for Janes but it's 100% wrong. I'm not sure you you all actually fancy yourselves some kind of actual experts on this or what (Squirrel seems to fancy himself an expert on everything. and is usually wrong, so it's expected from him).

The US does not keep any fleets based in Singapore. Sixth Fleet is based in Naples, Italy. Seventh Fleet is based in They have a single LCS ship here. Basically a glorified destroyer.

Various ships sometimes make port calls on the way to the Persian gulf, but they stop by dozens of countries around the world. It's a pretty normal thing. Hell, Russian navy has stopped in the US before.

Bingo. Hell, all this stuff is even on Wikipedia, people could at least bother to check before they go spouting off about things. My ex-Navy friends did port calls to HK and Thailand way more frequently than Singapore.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34778
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 07 Jun 2013 6:45 am

:roll:

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 996
Joined: Tue, 22 Jan 2013

Postby Hannieroo » Fri, 07 Jun 2013 7:38 am

I like the jets, I grew up in Norfolk and we always had the planes out from the RAF bases. They please me.

My Dad who was the head of the CIA, FBI and President of the World says there are no ships at all in Singapore, never has been. You're all stupid. He also says all Hello Kitty merchandise is fitted with brainwashing devices and anyone who allows it into their home will be brainwashed and put to work as slaves for all the people sensible enough to hold it in disdain. Ugly shitty kitty.

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 890
Joined: Mon, 02 Mar 2009

Postby morenangpinay » Fri, 07 Jun 2013 10:08 am

its so boring..nothing ever happens.

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5399
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013
Location: Sinkapore

Postby PNGMK » Fri, 07 Jun 2013 8:43 pm

Hannieroo wrote:I like the jets, I grew up in Norfolk and we always had the planes out from the RAF bases. They please me.

My Dad who was the head of the CIA, FBI and President of the World says there are no ships at all in Singapore, never has been. You're all stupid. He also says all Hello Kitty merchandise is fitted with brainwashing devices and anyone who allows it into their home will be brainwashed and put to work as slaves for all the people sensible enough to hold it in disdain. Ugly shitty kitty.


When they started selling these... I knew Hello Kitty was evil.

Image


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests