Singapore Expats

Which ferry to Batam is best?

Discuss travel and holidays tips and advice here.
Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Re: Which ferry to Batam is best?

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 04 Aug 2021 5:51 pm

Pretty sure its not a bot, probably just a human with subpar writing skills.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 04 Aug 2021 10:05 pm

tiktok wrote:
Wed, 04 Aug 2021 3:46 pm
I checked the 3 posts made by the user and they're not selling anything. So who cares where their IP is located?

Local Troll
Now this post, coming from you, really surprised me. I did give you more credit than maybe I should have. Generally what a lot of these people do, and we've had it happen a fair number of times over the years, that they will get entrenched in the forum in a number of threads with innocuous posts that slip through (generally if they get past 2 or 3 posts without being found out) they are in the clear. Then after the threads age a bit, they log back in and put their links in the signature block or edit their posts if the threads haven't been locked and because it's not up in the active threads, it might pass for quite some time before somebody drags up an old thread and we see it.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Wed, 04 Aug 2021 10:11 pm

Maybe there should be a time limit on editing posts
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiktok » Wed, 04 Aug 2021 10:15 pm

That still won't save the moderators the work of harassing every new member. Maybe stopping all signups is the only solution, and letting this forum die a faster death.
I not troll/wacko/spammer.
Me no expat. Me foreigner.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 04 Aug 2021 10:19 pm

One resident troll isn't going to kill the forum. It's more like comic relief in the age of covid.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Max Headroom » Thu, 05 Aug 2021 8:50 am

Yeah, it's definitely not a bot; I take the ferry to Batam/Bintan all the time and the odds of seeing a roach during the trip are decent. But whilst I know AI is getting better and better, I'm pretty sure that no bot would be aware of this, especially if the post is an attempt to spam/sell shizzle at a later date. it just doesn't make enough sense.

Incidentally, FYI, the ferries still run these days. Last time I called them, about 2 months ago, they told me it's every other day. Non-Indonesians need to get a visa approved in Jakarta first and it needs to be backed by an Indonesian business sponsor. But Indonesians are permitted to return home by ferry no issue, other than the usual anti-Covid protocol upon arrival.

I suspect the poster is an Indonesian, either getting some retail therapy in here, or a gig worker baleking for a break.

Edit: edit.