Singapore Expats

PEP and $144,000 salary question

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
aussieinsing

PEP and $144,000 salary question

Post by aussieinsing » Thu, 30 May 2013 12:52 pm

Hi, im currently in Singapore to collect my pep i applied for last year (before the limits were raised).
however Im not clear (even after calling MOM) whether I have to meet the $144,000 salary requirement immediately or until end of next year.
Do the limits start applying from when your PEP is approved or upon collection? The paperwork says that i need to meet this requirement but there is no time period for which it started. Upon calling MOM they said it didnt apply until 2014. But i just want to be sure (I dont want to do anything wrong)

When i applied for pep this requirement was not present. I got approved for PEP because I met the original requirements. I do note that my PEP is for 5 years (the current one is 3) so I am lead to believe it is the 'old' pep, but then it states the 144,000 requirement on the next page.

I feel that if i have to meet this $144,000 salary it would be difficult for me to get a foot in the door here.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Thu, 30 May 2013 12:55 pm

If your PEP is for 5 years then you fall under the earlier regime. You will need to meet the salary requirements in Dec 2014.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 30 May 2013 3:46 pm

aussieinsing wrote:Hi, im currently in Singapore to collect my pep i applied for last year (before the limits were raised).
however Im not clear (even after calling MOM) whether I have to meet the $144,000 salary requirement immediately or until end of next year.
Do the limits start applying from when your PEP is approved or upon collection? The paperwork says that i need to meet this requirement but there is no time period for which it started. Upon calling MOM they said it didnt apply until 2014. But i just want to be sure (I dont want to do anything wrong)

When i applied for pep this requirement was not present. I got approved for PEP because I met the original requirements. I do note that my PEP is for 5 years (the current one is 3) so I am lead to believe it is the 'old' pep, but then it states the 144,000 requirement on the next page.

I feel that if i have to meet this $144,000 salary it would be difficult for me to get a foot in the door here.
I agree with bgd.

The PEP IPA is maximum valid for 6 months. So if you have just come to collect it, its already May end, which means you must have applied for it like just weeks before the new rule came into effect and well after the new rule was announced and the fact that you paperwork(which is the IPA,) tells you that you need to meet the new salary limit(read that IPA again, it tells you clearly when you need to meet the new requirement), for sure you knew at the time of applying that the limit is going be increased shortly.

So I dont agree with the highlighted part of your statement :evil:

aussieinsing

Post by aussieinsing » Thu, 30 May 2013 6:44 pm

Wd40 wrote:
aussieinsing wrote:Hi, im currently in Singapore to collect my pep i applied for last year (before the limits were raised).

I agree with bgd.

The PEP IPA is maximum valid for 6 months. So if you have just come to collect it, its already May end, which means you must have applied for it like just weeks before the new rule came into effect and well after the new rule was announced and the fact that you paperwork(which is the IPA,) tells you that you need to meet the new salary limit(read that IPA again, it tells you clearly when you need to meet the new requirement), for sure you knew at the time of applying that the limit is going be increased shortly.

So I dont agree with the highlighted part of your statement :evil:
Not that i need to explain myself but anyway - I went through an agent to apply for PEP. Ive never worked in singapore. I understood that i would be under the old system. I didnt get to see the IPA letter until 2 weeks ago until they booked the MOM appointment.
I will see MOM tomorrow and clarify with them.
thanks for the responses.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 30 May 2013 8:11 pm

At least the answer you will get from them will not be a surprise. You have already been forewarned. Enjoy you working stint here while you can but keep your Plan B up to date as the writing is on the wall and no amount of talking you can do is going to change that.

As far as using an agent is concerned, I'm not too sure I'd tell the officers that as the forms are dumbed down so that an O level holder can fill them out without any problems. That is another reason for not using agents, you never find out until they have your money and then it's too late. Enough searches on the forum will show you plenty who have been shafted by agents.

Like I said, keep your Plan B up to date as you only have 19 months to work before you lose it. If you are lucky, they wont raise the P1 EP up to the same level (12K/mo - if you are here already) before you reach the end of your term. If so, it may be possible to obtain a P1 EP when your PEP expires and you don't earn the new quantum.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers