Singapore Expats

Accountancy Fresh Grads

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
heathclifftan

Accountancy Fresh Grads

Post by heathclifftan » Wed, 29 May 2013 7:51 pm

Hi, all

I'd like some advice.

I'm an Indonesian starting in a Singapore uni later this year (provided student pass approval, of course!). I'll be pursuing an Accountancy degree.

Basically, I have two questions:

1. Is it possible/likely that a Big Four firm will hire a foreigner fresh grad?

I've been staying in Singapore for a long time and would love to stay, but I also have to be realistic. If the above is unlikely, I'd want to start preparing mentally now.

2. Do Big Four firms consider residency status for internships?

I know that foreign students don't need a work permit for internships. If I can get an internship in a Big Four company in Singapore, it'll be a great boost to my resume, especially if I go back to Indonesia. However, if an internship is unlikely, then I won't bother.

I'd like to know if I should try to get an internship or even a job in Singapore, or whether I should just focus all my energy on my home country.

Thanks a lot, guys! :)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 29 May 2013 8:27 pm

A lot can change in a couple of years. I wouldn't make any guesstimates at all at this juncture the way things are currently going.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

heathclifftan

Post by heathclifftan » Wed, 29 May 2013 8:36 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:A lot can change in a couple of years. I wouldn't make any guesstimates at all at this juncture the way things are currently going.
That certainly is true.

Yet, as things stand now, how would you answer those questions?

Things will certainly get a lot stricter in three years due to the GE. I can't imagine they will get better, which is why I'd like to use the current situation as a benchmark.

If right now, the prospects for foreign accountancy grads from local unis are poor...in three years, no hope already.

Johnny Drama

Post by Johnny Drama » Thu, 30 May 2013 3:48 pm

heathclifftan wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:A lot can change in a couple of years. I wouldn't make any guesstimates at all at this juncture the way things are currently going.
That certainly is true.

Yet, as things stand now, how would you answer those questions?

Things will certainly get a lot stricter in three years due to the GE. I can't imagine they will get better, which is why I'd like to use the current situation as a benchmark.

If right now, the prospects for foreign accountancy grads from local unis are poor...in three years, no hope already.
what is happening in 3 years?

am arriving soon and my wife will not have work sorted, she will be on dependency pass but has a very strong cv in her field which hopefully should work in her favour.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 30 May 2013 4:10 pm

Another GE (General Election). The last one in 2011 caused dramatic changes in the Human Resources arena with special (total) emphasis on reducing the Foreign work force. The next one could see the ruling party ousted from power after 50 years and if the opposition should take over, the foreign employee situation is going to get even more drastic. Long range planning here is a waste of time unless you have a high risk appetite.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

blessie15

Post by blessie15 » Mon, 24 Jun 2013 7:22 pm

Alot can factor in with your situation. Upcoming GE is a huge part of it. However purely on the "Accountancy" side of it, if you want to get an internship with the Big4 you need to be top of your class and/or study in one of the top schools here in singapore like Nanyang, etc. OR get to know someone who works in the Big4 that might help you out.

Getting in the Big4 is highly competitive so you have to put your best foot forward and prepare for long nights ahead. You might also want to try other firms such as Grant Thorton, I know its not Big4 but there is life outside those 4, which might give you more relevant experience. BTW, have you thought about what you plan to get into? External/Internal Audit, Taxation?

Just a background, I used to work for DTT in the Philippines as a External Auditor. Currently here in SG as an Internal Auditor for a US MNC. I got an offer from a Big4 firm here, but turned it down because I don't want the long hours anymore.

livingontheedge
Chatter
Chatter

Post by livingontheedge » Fri, 30 Aug 2013 1:15 pm

1. Yes, its definitely possible for a Big 4 - esp the likes of Deloitte and KPMG - to hire foreigners. Over recent years, they have stepped up their hiring of foreigners from Indonesia, Philippines, Thailand, Pakistan, etc. primarily because the locals are seeking for opportunities outside the Big 4 into commercials and banks.

2. You can get an internship with a Big 4 as a foreigner. Quite a number of Indonesians and PRCs do this actually, and its easier to secure a job with the Big 4 you interned at, upon graduation. If you are good, they will make an offer.

3. If all else fails - 2 routes you can consider - (1) work for a mid tier accounting firm for a year and then move into the Big 4 (2) work for a Big 4 in Indonesia and then secure a secondment to Singapore in your 3rd or 4th year.