Singapore Expats

Study: Most SGNs wntt help if they witness dom. violence

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 31 May 2013 2:55 pm

JR8 wrote:I'm not sure how having experience of something makes one biased... but hey ho!
I guess you missed the word "personal". After you add it, is it any different?
JR8 wrote:When you're facing a hysterical woman with a knife in her hand, size and strength matter less than you might think. What are you going to do, give your beloved wife a KO punch or something... 'I mean she is only kidding isn't she?'
Fully agree. Now, how many situations like this count to the DV pool? <5%?
I am curious (a genuine question), how would you explain higher tendency of the males to commit a violent, sex unrelated crime and allegedly similar for both genders in DV situation?
JR8 wrote:But you can also Google on 'DSM-5 personality disorder' (or DSM IV, or DSM V). In fact I'd suggest that as useful reading for many people.
Thank you, I am familiar. Unfortunately.

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter

Post by movingtospore » Fri, 31 May 2013 4:54 pm

Sergei82 wrote:
Hannieroo wrote:Domestic violence is the woman's fault...
Most of the time if not always.

You got abused - you left the abuser - I feel compassionate.

You got abused, you forgave and got abused again, you left the abuser - well, still pity on you - foolishly forgiving the 1st time.

You are getting abused times and times again by the same person - you're a freaking masochist, isn't it? That is disgusting, stay away from me!
I can see why you would think that - but challenge you to go do some research on what's really going on in these situations. Usually, women do not have the freedom, financial or otherwise to leave. More often than not they're threatened with losing their children, if not their life.

Don't judge unless you've been there and know your facts.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 31 May 2013 5:26 pm

x9200 wrote:
JR8 wrote:I'm not sure how having experience of something makes one biased... but hey ho!
I guess you missed the word "personal". After you add it, is it any different?
[/quote].

Apologies, I am lost.

X9200 wrote: Fully agree. Now, how many situations like this count to the DV pool? <5%?
I am curious (a genuine question), how would you explain higher tendency of the males to commit a violent, sex unrelated crime and allegedly similar for both genders in DV situation?
I have no idea if 'pulling a knife', on it's own, counts as domestic violence. I'd be more inclined to think it would be a part of a greater pattern of abusive behavior. I mean if things have gone that far it really is time to find the exit PRONTO (although in the thick of it you quite likely won't realise this).

One reason for the apparent higher male abuser count, is male victims are often very reluctant to report being abused. You will see that in the crime statistics. On the flip-side, in anonymous surveys where people are asked to report their life experiences, the figures seem to come right back into balance.
JR8 wrote:But you can also Google on 'DSM-5 personality disorder' (or DSM IV, or DSM V). In fact I'd suggest that as useful reading for many people.
Thank you, I am familiar. Unfortunately.[/quote]

You and me both. It wasn't a lesson I wished for, but by God it taught me a lot. I hope it was the same for you.

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Fri, 31 May 2013 9:33 pm

JR8 wrote:You and me both. It wasn't a lesson I wished for, but by God it taught me a lot. I hope it was the same for you.
Crikey, don't bring her to the Eagles thingy! Unlike I will be going, but just the same.....

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 31 May 2013 9:46 pm

Haha Brah! ....

Long long ago .... left it in America. Hey you're over there aren't you? Better look out! ;)

katbh
Reporter
Reporter

Post by katbh » Fri, 31 May 2013 11:22 pm

katbh