Singapore Expats Forum

Beginnings of stricter online censorship

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Beginnings of stricter online censorship

Postby zzm9980 » Tue, 28 May 2013 6:33 pm

From June 1, websites that regularly report Singapore news and have significant reach will require individual licences to operate.

.....

These are: if they report an average of at least one article per week on Singapore’s news and current affairs over a period of two months, and have at least 50,000 unique visitors from Singapore each month over a period of two months. The individual licences have to be renewed every year.

Under the new framework, these sites must also put up a performance bond of $50,000, similar to that required for niche TV broadcasters.

....

The licence makes clear that online news sites are expected to remove content that is in breach of MDA standards within 24 hours, once notified to do so.

This material could cover content that is against the public interest, public security, or national harmony.




Full Text: http://www.singapolitics.sg/news/new-md ... s-websites

The list of sites are posted. Interestingly, Stomp is on it. Call me cynical, but I'm willing to bet that the targeted figure of 50k unique visitors is just under the current (and well within near-term growth expectations) of sites like TRE which likely cannot afford that bond.

PNGMK
Director
Director
Posts: 4855
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013

Re: Beginnings of stricter online censorship

Postby PNGMK » Tue, 28 May 2013 9:28 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
From June 1, websites that regularly report Singapore news and have significant reach will require individual licences to operate.

.....

These are: if they report an average of at least one article per week on Singapore’s news and current affairs over a period of two months, and have at least 50,000 unique visitors from Singapore each month over a period of two months. The individual licences have to be renewed every year.

Under the new framework, these sites must also put up a performance bond of $50,000, similar to that required for niche TV broadcasters.

....

The licence makes clear that online news sites are expected to remove content that is in breach of MDA standards within 24 hours, once notified to do so.

This material could cover content that is against the public interest, public security, or national harmony.




Full Text: http://www.singapolitics.sg/news/new-md ... s-websites

The list of sites are posted. Interestingly, Stomp is on it. Call me cynical, but I'm willing to bet that the targeted figure of 50k unique visitors is just under the current (and well within near-term growth expectations) of sites like TRE which likely cannot afford that bond.


Isn't TRE operating outside of Singapore? I guess this is an excuse to erect a great Singapore internet wall.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Tue, 28 May 2013 9:43 pm

What are they so afraid of? It's a democracy. The popular government got fairly, freely and cleanly elected.

Afraid... it's more like a complete paranoia against freedom of expression. But why?


p.s. Shouldn't it be noted, by SG, that countries with freedom of speech tend to be very successful. You know the countries that SG keeps comparing itself to: Switzerland, Sweden..... etc
Last edited by JR8 on Tue, 28 May 2013 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Tue, 28 May 2013 9:45 pm

I suddenly remember "The Emperor's New Clothes."

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 609
Joined: Wed, 17 Apr 2013

Postby AngMoG » Wed, 29 May 2013 12:41 am

Sounds like something vague enough that it could include forums in principle. You know, if "licensing" the pure news websites is not enough.

Strangely some of the usual suspects are missing, but I figure they will be on the list soon enough. But then again, they are probably operated outside of SG, as PNGMK pointed out.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9165
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Wed, 29 May 2013 8:24 am

JR8 wrote:What are they so afraid of? It's a democracy. The popular government got fairly, freely and cleanly elected.

Afraid... it's more like a complete paranoia against freedom of expression. But why?


p.s. Shouldn't it be noted, by SG, that countries with freedom of speech tend to be very successful. You know the countries that SG keeps comparing itself to: Switzerland, Sweden..... etc


With the constant rise of anti-foreigner and associated anti-gov sentiments slowly reaching the level of engendering the country's integrity, what would you do to limit such sentiments? I mean, now and here with all the conditions and preconditions.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34270
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 29 May 2013 9:40 am

Forums, like this one, could well be suited for licensing in the future with a little tightening of the criteria, which WILL happen. They have to get it started with a broad, but digestible stroke initially (the 10 majors). Once it's in place then, just like they have been doing in the past 2 or 3 years at MOM/ICA, tightening up the criteria to hamstring more and more. The analysts consulted, just like the analysts they consult for the GPD figures which are always retracted 6 weeks after the qtr is over and adjusted downwards, are a bloody joke.

I reckon we are looking at the beginning of a little firewall around the little red dot in due course. Their paranoia it getting more and more rampant as they loose more and more ground to the oppies and are running out of ways to silence the opposition.

Additionally, the licensing creates another revenue stream, doesn't it?

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3788
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Wed, 29 May 2013 11:04 am

JR8 wrote:What are they so afraid of? It's a democracy. The popular government got fairly, freely and cleanly elected.

Afraid... it's more like a complete paranoia against freedom of expression. But why?


p.s. Shouldn't it be noted, by SG, that countries with freedom of speech tend to be very successful. You know the countries that SG keeps comparing itself to: Switzerland, Sweden..... etc


Singapore compares itself with Switzerland and Sweden for their infrastructure, quality of life(albeit materialistic aspect of it ;) ) but we are talking about people here. Can you ever compare the Swiss or Swedes with Singaporeans? :o

Singapore rose to Swiss standards(on the GDP front) by following some aspects like opening up their economy for foreigner investments etc.
But some of the other aspects like treating its people, if they had followed the Swiss, they wouldnt have got here :-|

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 890
Joined: Mon, 02 Mar 2009

Postby morenangpinay » Wed, 29 May 2013 12:29 pm

how bout they put up a real wall around singapore.

User avatar
Sergei82
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1455
Joined: Mon, 02 Nov 2009

Postby Sergei82 » Wed, 29 May 2013 12:51 pm

morenangpinay wrote:how bout they put up a real wall around singapore.

And fill it with cement inside...

User avatar
nutnut
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1850
Joined: Thu, 24 Nov 2011
Location: The Mainland....

Postby nutnut » Wed, 29 May 2013 1:36 pm

They may compare themselves to Sweden and Switzerland, with moves like this, they are more like the Peoples Republic!
nutnut

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Re: Beginnings of stricter online censorship

Postby zzm9980 » Wed, 29 May 2013 3:33 pm

PNGMK wrote:Isn't TRE operating outside of Singapore? I guess this is an excuse to erect a great Singapore internet wall.


The bottom of the article already mentions they're making provisions for sites outside of Singapore. I'm guessing they'll just sue anyone inside Singapore into bankruptcy that they can identify as being associated with the site.

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Wed, 29 May 2013 3:34 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I reckon we are looking at the beginning of a little firewall around the little red dot in due course. Their paranoia it getting more and more rampant as they loose more and more ground to the oppies and are running out of ways to silence the opposition.

Additionally, the licensing creates another revenue stream, doesn't it?


Funny enough, there is discussion in Taiwan now about their own mini-GFW to 'enforce copyright'. Forums all over are exploding with anger.

I don't think the revenue stream from registration is significant. I think it's completely a censorship tool and will use outrageous fines and 'bonds' to censor and enforce their rules.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Wed, 29 May 2013 4:00 pm

We were offered a relo to Burma.

It is a place I have long wanted to visit as it is meant to be fascinating, and beautiful. Sadly ever since I have had the time and means to do so, visiting the country has been considered unethical, and so I have yet to go.

So declining the 'all in' relo was not the easiest decision to make. But one of the clinchers that made it easier for me was that the internet is hugely controlled. In fact as I recall we would have had no access from home at all. To access e-mail, do my business a/c's etc I would have had to have flown to BKK (or similar) on a bi-weekly (or so) basis.

In my opinion SG might want to tread carefully re: censoring the internet. There is a risk is comes over as insecure, paranoid, tyrannical, as in Burma. Very contrary to the modern open global IT-hub image it seems to be nurturing...

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 699
Joined: Thu, 23 Jul 2009

Postby movingtospore » Fri, 31 May 2013 4:57 pm

JR8 wrote:What are they so afraid of? It's a democracy. The popular government got fairly, freely and cleanly elected.

Afraid... it's more like a complete paranoia against freedom of expression. But why?


p.s. Shouldn't it be noted, by SG, that countries with freedom of speech tend to be very successful. You know the countries that SG keeps comparing itself to: Switzerland, Sweden..... etc


I would not call Singers a democracy with a fair system but that's all I'm gonna say on it! Look into how their equivalent of electoral colleges etc etc work and you'll see what I mean.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Latest News & Current Affairs”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests