Singapore Expats

PEP holder working overseas planning to return to Singapore

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
sijjinjohnny

PEP holder working overseas planning to return to Singapore

Post by sijjinjohnny » Mon, 27 May 2013 10:33 pm

Hi All,

I'm a Singapore PEP holder which is valid till 31Dec2014 as per the new rule but I relocated to Hong Kong 6 months ago. I have not informed MOM about my relocation as I was with the intention of cancelling the PEP. But now considering the option to relocating back to Singapore.

Question: If I find a job in Singapore, can I work using my existing PEP or Is my PEP considered invalid since I have not been in Singapore for over 6 months now and will my employer have to apply for a normal EP. Please advise as I couldn't find an answer to this question on any of the PEP FAQ sections.

Regards,
Sijjin

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 27 May 2013 11:31 pm

Maximum Unemployment Period: This cannot exceed six continuous months at any point. PEP holders who are unable to find employment after a continuous period of six months must cancel their pass. This includes PEP holders who are leaving Singapore to work for their overseas employer.

Pretty clear to me.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 27 May 2013 11:44 pm

It is very clearly stated on the PEP IPA letter that you need to inform MoM within 7 days about any change in employment status. By not doing so, you have clearly violated an important rule. We dont know its consequences.

Its a different matter whether MoM will find out or not, regarding the 6 months absence. We dont know. But if somehow they come to know about it before you tell them and start working in Singapore, then for sure you will be sent back to your home country, free flight ticket :)

I am assuming that the PEP is not automatically cancelled, since MoM still "thinks" that you are working.

So the right thing to do will be to inform MoM immediately about your change of employment status and then take MoM's directions. The most realistic thing that will happen is they will cancel your PEP and let your new employer to apply for the EP.