Singapore Expats

MyRepublic's Teleport service for overseas video streaming?

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
zzm9980
Governor
Governor

MyRepublic's Teleport service for overseas video streaming?

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 24 May 2013 4:29 pm

Is anyone here a subscriber to MyRepublic for fiber? If so, have any of you tried this 'Teleport' service:
https://secure.myrepublic.com.sg/add-ons/teleport.php

It allegedly lets you use Hulu, Netflix, BBC, and all of the other major video streaming sites without a third-party VPN. (My guess is they just integrate the VPN for you).

Any one with experience or comments on it?

Daxiuyi

Re: MyRepublic's Teleport service for overseas video streami

Post by Daxiuyi » Mon, 27 May 2013 5:35 pm

I am with MyRepublic, but haven't tried the service. Like you, I think they just integrate the VPN for you (and given their size, may be able to negotiate a higher bandiwdth VPN connection than what we can manage with our lone connections) to access stuff.

Personally, I'd rather pay the extra money for a VPN as it gives you more options (getting around geoblocking of shopping websites, or signing up for things like Google Voice, for example).

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 27 May 2013 6:01 pm

tic...toc...tic...toc...

Interesting considering he's posting from Hong Kong......

I'm watching.....

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 27 May 2013 6:36 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:tic...toc...tic...toc...

Interesting considering he's posting from Hong Kong......

I'm watching.....

Could just be using the VPN Service he was saying he prefers :D
Grammar is quite good for a spammer IMO.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 27 May 2013 11:15 pm

That's why he's still able to post. :wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Daxiuyi

Post by Daxiuyi » Mon, 27 May 2013 11:18 pm

Agree mightn't have been the best use of my first post (you only get one of those lol), but having just signed up my MyRepublic, I wanted to help and give my $0.02. Apologies if it came across otherwise...

I was posting before from the office, hence the HK IP. Didn't think of that, can understand why it seemed dodge...

Thank goodness I didn't mention (worse, post a link) who my vpn provider is!

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 28 May 2013 2:29 am

Daxiuyi wrote:Agree mightn't have been the best use of my first post (you only get one of those lol), but having just signed up my MyRepublic, I wanted to help and give my $0.02. Apologies if it came across otherwise...

I was posting before from the office, hence the HK IP. Didn't think of that, can understand why it seemed dodge...

Thank goodness I didn't mention (worse, post a link) who my vpn provider is!
Personal recommendations for services/products you have used are permitted on this board. What we don't allow is company representatives to blow their own horn.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: MyRepublic's Teleport service for overseas video streami

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 23 Jul 2013 1:29 am

zzm9980 wrote:Is anyone here a subscriber to MyRepublic for fiber? If so, have any of you tried this 'Teleport' service:
https://secure.myrepublic.com.sg/add-ons/teleport.php

It allegedly lets you use Hulu, Netflix, BBC, and all of the other major video streaming sites without a third-party VPN. (My guess is they just integrate the VPN for you).

Any one with experience or comments on it?
I've been trying it tonight - it works ok but then eventually the overseas server works out (somehow?) you're not in the right country and blocks you. Netflix, BBC are not working as a result. Maybe my router isn't set up right but MyRepublic installed it and I've not changed it.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 23 Jul 2013 1:32 am

OK I changed the DNS to the recommend settings and it's all good.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 23 Jul 2013 7:17 am

PNGMK wrote:OK I changed the DNS to the recommend settings and it's all good.

You should check the router config, as your router assigns DNS settings. Ideally you can have the router assign those recommended settings to any system.

If you leave it like that, just don't forget to unset those if you go to a different network. (Not a big deal if your system isn't a laptop).

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 23 Jul 2013 10:08 am

zzm9980 wrote:

You should check the router config, as your router assigns DNS settings. Ideally you can have the router assign those recommended settings to any system.

If you leave it like that, just don't forget to unset those if you go to a different network. (Not a big deal if your system isn't a laptop).
If the DNS is valid I don't see any bother in moving a laptop around either.... (for many, many years I used the DNS address of an Australian ISP - they were far more reliable than the Singapore ones).

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 23 Jul 2013 11:54 am

PNGMK wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:

If the DNS is valid I don't see any bother in moving a laptop around either.... (for many, many years I used the DNS address of an Australian ISP - they were far more reliable than the Singapore ones).
A lot of content re-distribution systems use your DNS to locate you and send you to the closest resource. So while it may work, you may be directed to a local Singapore cache of a resource that may be much slower than whatever location you're at.

Also, since MyTeleporter is obviously using similar techniques to get you to the TV content you want, those same sites may fail miserably when you try to connect with via that DNS and a non-My Republic IP.