Singapore Expats

Big Girl. Big Dreams. ( Yes, I'm still alive!)

Discuss your views about Singapore business & economy, current policies & issues, starting a business in Singapore.
NadyaSalim

Big Girl. Big Dreams. ( Yes, I'm still alive!)

Post by NadyaSalim » Thu, 23 May 2013 2:10 am

Hi Guys,

I know that most of you must be wondering who i am. Well, too cut a looong story short.

My name is Nadya and i was the girl that posted a few topics here in Business in Singapore with the heading. NEED ADVICE. small girl BIG DREAMS. (yes, i'm a big girl now. haha)

In that thread, there were many great people advising me on how i can run a push cart service here in Singapore.

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic61590.html

I opened up my old email account this evening and was surprised to see many unopened emails from Singapore expats users asking me about my progress. This really brightened up my day! And this inspire me to write a new topic here!

It has been more than 3 years and i have since moved on to other things.

Just to give you on some insights, this is what i do now. www.chefsinaction.com (this is only 2 months old, by the way)

At this point, i am still open for suggestions as i am still new in this new market of in-house cooking.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Is there any market for this?

Looking forward for your reply!

Best regards
Nadya

edited her hyperlink to remove the 'full stop' - moderator

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 23 May 2013 2:35 am

You need to publish your site... it is not working.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 23 May 2013 9:09 am

Go girl power! You should put vans right outside the NS camps and feed those starving boys!

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 23 May 2013 9:32 am

PNGMK wrote:Go girl power! You should put vans right outside the NS camps and feed those starving boys!
Or those new office/work campuses where they conveniently forgot to put places to buy affordable food (or if they did, not enough of them) but a lot of upscale atas restaurants.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 23 May 2013 9:57 am

Strong Eagle wrote:You need to publish your site... it is not working.
it is working. . just ensure there is no . at the end :D

http://www.chefsinaction.com/

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 23 May 2013 10:59 am

Frankly, she may well be on to something. I wish her well. :cool:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Post by morenangpinay » Thu, 23 May 2013 2:54 pm

looks great except maybe your website needs better presentation and you need better photos. :) good luck

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Fri, 24 May 2013 9:43 am

Nadya, Great concept, hope everything is going well, I may be interested in the future!

A couple of improvements for the website:
1. Use a better font for smaller text, it looks like a bad fax, it's nice for the larger red text, but, for the small black text the font is not good!
2. Put your front page content across more pages rather than a huge long single page, it's too long IMO.
3. better photos, since you advertise a photography service as well as dinner, you can't have bad photos on your webpage!

Well Done, a really good job!
nutnut

AndrewV
Chatter
Chatter

Post by AndrewV » Wed, 05 Jun 2013 4:33 pm

smells like well disguised advertising to me

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 05 Jun 2013 5:19 pm

No, it's not well disguised nor subtle, but in all fairness she did also say she was still looking for help. She has been a member of the board for a long time and eventually she has managed to get something working after a lot of fits & starts. She hasn't harped but instead the regulars done like we have done in the past. Help her out and give her advice & a leg up. We do like to see young people succeed. ;-)

We don't condone those who register just to advertise her business. We are human as well.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 05 Jun 2013 7:55 pm

PNGMK wrote:Go girl power! You should put vans right outside the NS camps and feed those starving boys!

What with your chicky avatar, your replacement of one of a pair of flip-flops... and now this... I'm trying to figure out if you're a teenage girl, or a thespian.
Last edited by JR8 on Fri, 07 Jun 2013 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Thu, 06 Jun 2013 2:30 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:No, it's not well disguised nor subtle, but in all fairness she did also say she was still looking for help. She has been a member of the board for a long time and eventually she has managed to get something working after a lot of fits & starts. She hasn't harped but instead the regulars done like we have done in the past. Help her out and give her advice & a leg up. We do like to see young people succeed. ;-)

We don't condone those who register just to advertise her business. We are human as well.
+1

I remember the original thread. It's interesting to see where she has ended up.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Big Girl. Big Dreams. ( Yes, I'm still alive!)

Post by JR8 » Fri, 07 Jun 2013 9:16 am

NadyaSalim wrote:
Just to give you on some insights, this is what i do now. www.chefsinaction.com. (this is only 2 months old, by the way)

Nadya
I'd be interested to see it, but as StrongEagle notes: It's down.

Correction: It's not down, it just a rogue '.' on the end of the address causing it to 'break'.

Nice idea Nadya, best of luck with it!

A few top of my head comments:
- Generally a great looking website, looks professional, and tells us what to expect.
- I find the 'BUT WAIT! If you order within the next three minutes...' style of marketing, with different font colours and so on very American and a little over-bearing. Do Kate Spade have an employee on the street outside the shop yelling at passers-by? :) To the kind of people you're likely pitching to, I'd consider whether less is more (maybe it is, maybe it's not, I can't answer that).
- The photo albums load veeeeeery slowly (so I gave up). Shame, they would make a good testament to your clients/services...

But really, great idea, and fine looking site. Now how to build a market? :-)
(Have you considered trying to get your foot in the door with any embassies or corporates? Because in my experience if you do a good job for them, they'll come to rely on you year-in year-out... plus they can be somewhat less 'price sensitive').
Last edited by JR8 on Fri, 07 Jun 2013 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: Big Girl. Big Dreams. ( Yes, I'm still alive!)

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 07 Jun 2013 9:18 am

JR8 wrote:
NadyaSalim wrote:
Just to give you on some insights, this is what i do now. www.chefsinaction.com. (this is only 2 months old, by the way)

Nadya
I'd be interested to see it, but as StrongEagle notes: It's down.
Delete the period after the URL.

NadyaSalim

Thanks!

Post by NadyaSalim » Wed, 12 Jun 2013 8:44 pm

Hey guys, i just saw your messages-glad that you guys have been following up with me after all this years. and Many thanks for the advise!

I just tweak my website here and there! Thanks nutnut! For number 2, i may need to ask a second opinion as i know a few guys that did the website this way and it works very well.

Hope you keep writing me advise as it has been very helpful so far!