Singapore Expats Forum

will we be hit by a tidal wave?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Conscripted

will we be hit by a tidal wave?

Postby Conscripted » Mon, 27 Dec 2004 9:06 am

since our region was hit by the devastating tidal wave yesterday, i was wondering if we could face the same situation someday. i mean if there was a tidal wave coming from the south china sea, can we be safe? do we have enough water defence stuff? i wouldn't want to end up like the Maldives. and to anyone who knows someone affected by this tidal wave, i hope all is well.

Postby Guest » Mon, 27 Dec 2004 9:35 am

just read the news please. no need for such "singapore could be ..." blablabla, face the tragedy which is going on in the real affected countrys, try to help

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 27 Dec 2004 2:10 pm

Where in the region did a tidal wave hit?

I know that a Tsunami hit all countries bordering the Indian Ocean. Only on CNA and Channel 5 did tidal waves hit the region. Go figure :roll:

sms

Conscripted

Postby Conscripted » Mon, 27 Dec 2004 3:19 pm

the replies have been rather sarcastic so far. guess i kind of asked for it myself..=( well, i'm just slightly paranoid and neurotic i guess. anyway, how can we help the people affected? by the way, when i said 'our region', i meant Asia. not specifically, south east asia. anyhow, Malaysia did get affected. so technically i'm not too wrong!=)

briceloh
Reporter
Reporter

Postby briceloh » Mon, 27 Dec 2004 10:56 pm

the angle of the tsunami has to be correct in order for it the hit singapore. else all we see is just the diverted energies of the waves. singapore has always being protected by the neighbouring countries' position. thou it may just need only one chance for singapore to be hit hard. else until now, we are pretty safe for the moment. who knows what's gonna happen tomorrow rite?

pastrian.allac
Regular
Regular

Postby pastrian.allac » Tue, 28 Dec 2004 10:29 am

Learnt from an expert interviewed in TCS8 news last night that Singapore is surrounded by neighboring islands or countries which has indirectly helped to bring the effect of the tsunami to the least when it hits us. In this case, it is Sumatera. I agree with briceloh, it may just need only one chance for us to be hit hard. When it comes to natural disaster, you'll never know and be able to predict. The current killing tidal wave has explained it all, and the number of casualties is still rising. What a sad news to end the year.. :cry:

just a guest

Postby just a guest » Tue, 28 Dec 2004 2:06 pm

Agreed, Singapore is well sheltered from the direction of the Indian Ocean, the long, narrow Straits Of Malacca serves as a choke bottleneck to take away all the energy of the wave.
It's much less so if a Tsunami comes from the direction of the Pacific Ocean.

Cam

Postby Cam » Tue, 28 Dec 2004 10:26 pm

Agree that its sad news to end the year, but warming to see so many countries jump to send aid.