Singapore Expats

Buying bike in Singapore then taking to Malaysia

Have your burning questions answered relating to buying and selling cars and other vehicles.
aahn

Buying bike in Singapore then taking to Malaysia

Post by aahn » Fri, 17 May 2013 9:30 am

Hi guys

I'll be moving to Malaysia soon and I'm very interested in track days at sepang.

It looks like the cost of motorcycles is alot cheaper in Singapore. So is it possible to buy a street / race bike in Singapore and carry it over to Malaysia? I only intend to use it as a track bike and will not register it for the road.

I'm unsure on how the regulation is in Malaysia but in Australia, if you do not intend to ride on the road and only the track, you do not need to register the bike at all.

Thanks in advance.

Aahn

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 17 May 2013 2:59 pm

I dont think bikes are cheaper in Singapore than Malaysia.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 17 May 2013 10:30 pm

Wd40 wrote:I dont think bikes are cheaper in Singapore than Malaysia.
Yes, they are cheaper, by a lot, especially large displacement bikes. A full dresser Harley will cost more than S$60,000 in KL.

But, if the OP wants to bring a bike in, all those taxes will have to be paid, and I am not sure that there is any economic benefit. Just like trying to import into Singapore... a pain.

aahn

Post by aahn » Sat, 18 May 2013 12:49 pm

Ah okay, so even if I don't intend to register for the bike at all, I still need to pay import taxes?

I really only intend to use the bike for the track.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Sat, 18 May 2013 11:41 pm

aahn wrote:Ah okay, so even if I don't intend to register for the bike at all, I still need to pay import taxes?

I really only intend to use the bike for the track.
I haven't read the pertinent laws, but my guess is that you will pay whatever tax would be paid for the same class of bike in Malaysia. Otherwise, there would be a tax loophole that everyone would want to take advantage of.

Why not go to a couple of off road boards in Malaysia and see what they say? I'm sure if this loophole exists, someone will have taken advantage of it.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 19 May 2013 12:10 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
Wd40 wrote:I dont think bikes are cheaper in Singapore than Malaysia.
Yes, they are cheaper, by a lot, especially large displacement bikes. A full dresser Harley will cost more than S$60,000 in KL.

But, if the OP wants to bring a bike in, all those taxes will have to be paid, and I am not sure that there is any economic benefit. Just like trying to import into Singapore... a pain.
You are right! I am quite surprised actually.

Just look at the price of Ducati Panigale in Singapore vs Malaysia

http://ducati.com.sg/bikes/price_list.html

http://www.ducati.com.my/bikes/superbik ... h_spec.php

In SG it is $47k and in MY it is $67k :o

I guess they heavily tax overseas manufactured vehicles to protect their own Auto industry. I wonder whether Malaysia makes high displacement bikes.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 19 May 2013 9:17 pm

Buy the big bike in Singapore, drive to Malaysia and keep it registered in Singapore (and insured). There are a few red plates on expensive cars in Malaysia that went in that way. You don't need to leave Malaysia at all with your singapore bike.