Singapore Expats

questions about bond fund

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
beedao
Regular
Regular

questions about bond fund

Post by beedao » Thu, 16 May 2013 5:54 pm

Hi Everyone,

I’m having some cash in the bank (about 60k) and thinking of investing in bond fund, as advised by a banker. (obviously she saw these money sitting in my bank account for a while) I’m completely dumb with investment, so, i didn’t do anything with it.

Now, I’m thinking of either putting them in the Fix deposit account (interest rate is 0.85% per annum offered by UOB) or investing them into United Asian Bond Fund (UABF) as advised by this banker.

As per her comment, there is not much risk for this particular bond fund (and of course the interest will not be too high like investing into stocks), and its value has been increasing since its launch date.

So my questions are:

Is there any particular website that I can learn more about the bond fund? Because I have no idea how truth about her statement.

Is it really lower risk compare to stocks?

Is there anything else I should look into?

Thanks everyone in advance :)
Dream what you want to dream; Go where you want to go; Be what you want to be; Because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do!

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 16 May 2013 7:58 pm

My suggestion, open an account with unit trust like fundsupermart.com
Dollardex etc.

They are self service platforms and there are all kinds of unit trusts you can invest in including fixed income, equity, reits etc.

Also all kinds of markets and all kinds of risk profile.

I have currently invested about 100k via fundsupermart in fixed income funds managed by UOB. I am making about 7% annual returns and it's one of the safest funds.

Let me know if you have any questions.

stevedevan

Post by stevedevan » Fri, 17 May 2013 10:19 pm

I am declaring that I have a vested interest in this subject and so I would understand if you take my comments with a pinch of salt. But, there are alternatives to the types of fund that you are considering.

When you say 60k, are you talking US dollars or Singapore dollars. In any case, you could invest in something like a German Equity investment that pays 12% to 15% pa fixed interest over 1, 3, or 5 years. There are some other investments to consider, but this one is very simple and you can choose to leave the interest there to "compound". So, for example, a $20,000 investment would grow to $38,161 over 5 years.

This investment has many layers of protection built in, including 1st charge on the asset.

There is some further info on my website but the site is currently being re-vamped so is a little short on info. If you want to send/email you a brochure just send me a Private Message and I'll get back to you asap.

I have also posted some further info in the "Calling all Investment Guru's" thread, although I see that I've been moderated and links have been removed (sorry moderator).