Singapore Expats

Marlborough college, Malaysia - where to live in Singapore?

Discuss various International School options for your children here.
5gomadinsing

Marlborough college, Malaysia - where to live in Singapore?

Post by 5gomadinsing » Sat, 11 May 2013 3:03 am

Does anyone on here send their kids to Marlborough college in Malaysia, but live in Singapore? If so, where is the best place to live in Singapore in terms of making the commute for the kids bearable? Our kids are starting at the school in august and we need to live in Singapore (long story) but can't decide where to live that would suit dh commute to Tuas, kids commute to school and my need to be near some action so I can make friends and take littlest to baby groups etc. any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Sun, 12 May 2013 9:50 pm

I drive from the Holland Village area to Tuas every morning and average traffic puts me at 25 minutes. I then do it again in the late afternoon from the Bukit Batok/Bukit timah area and it's 15 minutes there, 25 minutes back. So if you stay no further north than Bukit Timah/ PIE and no further East than Coronation Road West you should be okay.

Is Marlborough unchangeable? It will be a trek by the time you've factored in queues and socially school friends for children and parents are very important.I don't envy you.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: Marlborough college, Malaysia - where to live in Singapo

Post by the lynx » Mon, 13 May 2013 9:50 am

5gomadinsing wrote:Does anyone on here send their kids to Marlborough college in Malaysia, but live in Singapore? If so, where is the best place to live in Singapore in terms of making the commute for the kids bearable? Our kids are starting at the school in august and we need to live in Singapore (long story) but can't decide where to live that would suit dh commute to Tuas, kids commute to school and my need to be near some action so I can make friends and take littlest to baby groups etc. any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
The school is the closest to Tuas Second Link. Cross-border traffic jam may not bother you as it is usually from Malaysia to Singapore in the morning, and Singapore to Malaysia in the evening.

To list possible expat-y places for you to consider (with easy access to BKE to PIE and AYE > Tuas Second Link), Holland Village, East Bukit Timah, Hillview and West Coast.

Not so expat-y places would be Jurong West, Jurong East, Bukit Batok, Clementi and Buona Vista. But I presume you will have a car so driving around for baby groups and to meet up with fellow expats shouldn't be a problem.